P4C800 faiils CPU test

My new board won't boot. Tried a 3.2e 800, 2.8e, 3.06. They all fail cpu
test.
Tried the memory sticks in different place too, tried a dieerent memory
from a working cpu.

Disconnected all connectors and video card. Nothing helps.

Any clues?

TIA

"jerham" <jerrham@pobox.com> wrote in message
> My new board won't boot. Tried a 3.2e 800, 2.8e, 3.06. They all fail cpu
> test.
> Tried the memory sticks in different place too, tried a dieerent memory
> from a working cpu.
>
> Disconnected all connectors and video card. Nothing helps.
>
> Any clues?
>
> TIA

Have you hooked up the 4-wire connector from the power supply to the
motherboard?

Thanks for the reply, yes it is connected, tried another supply too.

Navid wrote:

> "jerham" <jerrham@pobox.com> wrote in message
>
>>My new board won't boot. Tried a 3.2e 800, 2.8e, 3.06. They all fail cpu
>>test.
>>Tried the memory sticks in different place too, tried a dieerent memory
>>from a working cpu.
>>
>>Disconnected all connectors and video card. Nothing helps.
>>
>>Any clues?
>>
>>TIA
>>

> Have you hooked up the 4-wire connector from the power supply to the
> motherboard?

ChrisH

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 22:14:43 GMT, jerham <jerrham@pobox.com> wrote:

>My new board won't boot. Tried a 3.2e 800, 2.8e, 3.06. They all fail cpu
>test.
>Tried the memory sticks in different place too, tried a dieerent memory
>from a working cpu.
>
>Disconnected all connectors and video card. Nothing helps.
>
>Any clues?
>
>TIA

Sounds like RMA time on that one then. Could be a corrupt BIOS so if
the boot block is intact you might try recovering it with a floppy
loader. Personally, if it's new, I'd exchange it.

Paul

Splendid

In article <ekejf0lhjqooj0kn5u1kcejs928o7t656u@4ax.com>,
chrish@easynet.co.uk (ChrisH) wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 22:14:43 GMT, jerham <jerrham@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> >My new board won't boot. Tried a 3.2e 800, 2.8e, 3.06. They all fail cpu
> >test.
> >Tried the memory sticks in different place too, tried a dieerent memory
> >from a working cpu.
> >
> >Disconnected all connectors and video card. Nothing helps.
> >
> >Any clues?
> >
> >TIA
>
> Sounds like RMA time on that one then. Could be a corrupt BIOS so if
> the boot block is intact you might try recovering it with a floppy
> loader. Personally, if it's new, I'd exchange it.

I don't know if I'd give up on it yet.

Do the fans spin when you push the power button ?

What exact model is this ? P4C800-E Deluxe ? Or an older motherboard ?
One of the early models had trouble with solder blobs. Another problem
seen with some of the Asus boards, was trouble caused by the pressure
of the Intel HSF when it is fastened to the board.

Something you can try, is the "Clear the CMOS" procedure.
Unplug the computer before doing that, so there won't be any
+5VSB on the board.

Have you done a visual inspection of the board ? Is there a
BIOS flash chip in the flash socket ? A battery present in the
battery socket ?

Have you tried the "cardboard test" ? Try the board sitting
on a table, with an insulator underneath it. Make sure the
board is supported, before pushing down on it.

Paul

Thanks for the reply Paul. I have checked the sockets for blobs etc.
Tried 3 different cpus. Cleared the Cmos, and there is a bios chip.
All test were on the "cardboard" Never have installed a board till it
works out of the case.

Same message if there is memory or not. Tried 3 different memory chips too.

I am sending the Board, CPU and memory back to the guy I purchased from
two days ago.

This is my second asus board to fail. My P4G8X failed too. Still waiting
for Asus to repair.

Paul wrote:
> In article <ekejf0lhjqooj0kn5u1kcejs928o7t656u@4ax.com>,
> chrish@easynet.co.uk (ChrisH) wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 22:14:43 GMT, jerham <jerrham@pobox.com> wrote:
>>

>>>My new board won't boot. Tried a 3.2e 800, 2.8e, 3.06. They all fail cpu
>>>test.
>>>Tried the memory sticks in different place too, tried a dieerent memory
>>
>>>from a working cpu.
>>
>>>Disconnected all connectors and video card. Nothing helps.
>>>
>>>Any clues?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>
>>Sounds like RMA time on that one then. Could be a corrupt BIOS so if
>>the boot block is intact you might try recovering it with a floppy
>>loader. Personally, if it's new, I'd exchange it.
>

> I don't know if I'd give up on it yet.
>
> Do the fans spin when you push the power button ?
>
> What exact model is this ? P4C800-E Deluxe ? Or an older motherboard ?
> One of the early models had trouble with solder blobs. Another problem
> seen with some of the Asus boards, was trouble caused by the pressure
> of the Intel HSF when it is fastened to the board.
>
> Something you can try, is the "Clear the CMOS" procedure.
> Unplug the computer before doing that, so there won't be any
> +5VSB on the board.
>
> Have you done a visual inspection of the board ? Is there a
> BIOS flash chip in the flash socket ? A battery present in the
> battery socket ?
>
> Have you tried the "cardboard test" ? Try the board sitting
> on a table, with an insulator underneath it. Make sure the
> board is supported, before pushing down on it.
>
> Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <Y6HKc.3579$f4.1872@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, jerham
<jerrham@pobox.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Paul. I have checked the sockets for blobs etc.
> Tried 3 different cpus. Cleared the Cmos, and there is a bios chip.
> All test were on the "cardboard" Never have installed a board till it
> works out of the case.
>
> Same message if there is memory or not. Tried 3 different memory chips too.
>
> I am sending the Board, CPU and memory back to the guy I purchased from
> two days ago.
>
> This is my second asus board to fail. My P4G8X failed too. Still waiting
> for Asus to repair.

What kind of current rating on +12V does the power supply have ?
I'd want at least 15 amps on there, and a little more depending
on what you are using for a video card.

Think carefully about your symptoms, especially if three boards
fail on you. That implies the problem is elsewhere in your
setup. The PSU is the least reliable part of the system.
Hard drives are next. Memory is next. Processors and motherboards
are generally pretty good, if bought new. Stuff off Ebay could
have had any manner of abuse applied to it. Parts from a computer
that has been struck by lightning, damaged by a bad power supply,
or damaged by an AC surge from the power company, for example,
can damage a new computer they are placed in.

Another Ebay example - a poster here had his motherboard complain
of overclocking. It turned out the previous owner placed a "wire
mod" in the processor socket, and once that was removed, the
board worked properly.

The odds of three motherboards failing the exact same way are
pretty slim. So, try another board, but if it has the same
symptoms, think carefully about what combinations you've
tested and what the common components in the failed cases
were. (There are some people who have posted here, taking
a bad processor from one motherboard, then plugging it into
a new motherboard, and killing it too. It can take a
lot of testing and damaged stuff to figure out cases like
that. That is a worst case scenario. The thing is, the failure
rate of new motherboards should be small, and a string of
bad boards implies another component is killing them.)

Paul

> Paul wrote:
> > In article <ekejf0lhjqooj0kn5u1kcejs928o7t656u@4ax.com>,
> > chrish@easynet.co.uk (ChrisH) wrote:

> >>Sounds like RMA time on that one then. Could be a corrupt BIOS so if
> >>the boot block is intact you might try recovering it with a floppy
> >>loader. Personally, if it's new, I'd exchange it.
> >

> > I don't know if I'd give up on it yet.
> >
> > Do the fans spin when you push the power button ?
> >
> > What exact model is this ? P4C800-E Deluxe ? Or an older motherboard ?
> > One of the early models had trouble with solder blobs. Another problem
> > seen with some of the Asus boards, was trouble caused by the pressure
> > of the Intel HSF when it is fastened to the board.
> >
> > Something you can try, is the "Clear the CMOS" procedure.
> > Unplug the computer before doing that, so there won't be any
> > +5VSB on the board.
> >
> > Have you done a visual inspection of the board ? Is there a
> > BIOS flash chip in the flash socket ? A battery present in the
> > battery socket ?
> >
> > Have you tried the "cardboard test" ? Try the board sitting
> > on a table, with an insulator underneath it. Make sure the
> > board is supported, before pushing down on it.
> >
> > Paul

Paul, it was 3 processors I tried, not 3 boards. Ddi not buy on ebay but
a retail dealer at the local tri-state computer show. He has a store and
knows me. I am sure he will replace the baord. Power supply is a new
antec 430 watt, tried anoter supply too.