Im stumped! Board capable of 48-bit LBA?

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have a matsonic motherboard MS9127C
with bios: phoenix award bios v 6.00 PG (DATE 07/18/2003)

Is this capable of 48-bit LBA so that I can add a bigger drive than 137 GB?

1)The manual says nothing about this
2)The matsonic site says nothing about this
3)Matsonic support does not reply to my emails
4)The people who sold it to me have no idea
5) I tried looking at http://www.phoenix.com/en/products/default.htm to see
what the bios is capable of but I cannot find the information needed!

HELP!!!

---

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Look at the first line on page 31 of the pdf owners manual from their
website.

"Kenny" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a matsonic motherboard MS9127C
> with bios: phoenix award bios v 6.00 PG (DATE 07/18/2003)
>
> Is this capable of 48-bit LBA so that I can add a bigger drive than 137
GB?

> 1)The manual says nothing about this
> 2)The matsonic site says nothing about this
> 3)Matsonic support does not reply to my emails
> 4)The people who sold it to me have no idea
> 5) I tried looking at http://www.phoenix.com/en/products/default.htm to
see
> what the bios is capable of but I cannot find the information needed!
>
> HELP!!!
>

> ---

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

i did, so?

I have not bought the drive yet, I am trying to see if it will work before I
buy it.

"BarCom" <PetitMal@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Look at the first line on page 31 of the pdf owners manual from their
> website.
>

> "Kenny" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have a matsonic motherboard MS9127C
> > with bios: phoenix award bios v 6.00 PG (DATE 07/18/2003)
> >
> > Is this capable of 48-bit LBA so that I can add a bigger drive than 137
> GB?
> >
> > 1)The manual says nothing about this
> > 2)The matsonic site says nothing about this
> > 3)Matsonic support does not reply to my emails
> > 4)The people who sold it to me have no idea
> > 5) I tried looking at http://www.phoenix.com/en/products/default.htm to
> see
> > what the bios is capable of but I cannot find the information needed!
> >
> > HELP!!!
> >

> > ---

---

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

It is implicit in the statement 'Note: If you are setting up a new hard
disk drive that supports LBA mode, more. . .. Choose the line that lists
LBA for an LBA drive.' that the board supports them. Also note, I mean p.
31 of the manual, which is p. 35 in acrobat. Good luck.

> i did, so?
>
> I have not bought the drive yet, I am trying to see if it will work before
> buy it.
>
> "BarCom" <PetitMal@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > Look at the first line on page 31 of the pdf owners manual from their
> > website.
> >

> > "Kenny" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a matsonic motherboard MS9127C
> > > with bios: phoenix award bios v 6.00 PG (DATE 07/18/2003)
> > >
> > > Is this capable of 48-bit LBA so that I can add a bigger drive than
137
> > GB?
> > >
> > > 1)The manual says nothing about this
> > > 2)The matsonic site says nothing about this
> > > 3)Matsonic support does not reply to my emails
> > > 4)The people who sold it to me have no idea
> > > 5) I tried looking at http://www.phoenix.com/en/products/default.htm
> > see
> > > what the bios is capable of but I cannot find the information needed!
> > >
> > > HELP!!!
> > >

> > > ---
> > >

> ---

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Normally they say so if it can, and it's not mentioned if it can't.

http://home.comcast.net/~wizardofwhimsy/index.html
"Kenny" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message news:%23zoKOb8QEHA.568@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I have a matsonic motherboard MS9127C
> with bios: phoenix award bios v 6.00 PG (DATE 07/18/2003)
>
> Is this capable of 48-bit LBA so that I can add a bigger drive than 137 GB?
>
> 1)The manual says nothing about this
> 2)The matsonic site says nothing about this
> 3)Matsonic support does not reply to my emails
> 4)The people who sold it to me have no idea
> 5) I tried looking at http://www.phoenix.com/en/products/default.htm to see
> what the bios is capable of but I cannot find the information needed!
>
> HELP!!!
>

> ---

Andy

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

On Thu, 27 May 2004 11:47:13 +0300, "Kenny" <hotmail@coldmail.com>
wrote:

>I have a matsonic motherboard MS9127C
>with bios: phoenix award bios v 6.00 PG (DATE 07/18/2003)

If that's the true date of the BIOS, then I'd be very surprised if it
doesn't support 48-bit LBA.

>Is this capable of 48-bit LBA so that I can add a bigger drive than 137 GB?

If you're adding the large drive to an existing one, then it doesn't
matter to Windows XP if the BIOS does not see more than 137GB.
As long as SP1 has been installed, Windows XP will see the entire
drive.

>1)The manual says nothing about this
>2)The matsonic site says nothing about this
>3)Matsonic support does not reply to my emails
>4)The people who sold it to me have no idea
>5) I tried looking at http://www.phoenix.com/en/products/default.htm to see
>what the bios is capable of but I cannot find the information needed!
>
>HELP!!!
>

>---

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

>Windows XP will see the entire
> drive.

are you sure about this?

Hope this helps. Let us know.
_____________
Kenny S
foksot2004 at hotmail.com
www.computerboom.net
"Andy" <1@2.3> wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 May 2004 11:47:13 +0300, "Kenny" <hotmail@coldmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have a matsonic motherboard MS9127C
> >with bios: phoenix award bios v 6.00 PG (DATE 07/18/2003)
>
> If that's the true date of the BIOS, then I'd be very surprised if it
> doesn't support 48-bit LBA.
>

> >Is this capable of 48-bit LBA so that I can add a bigger drive than 137
GB?

> If you're adding the large drive to an existing one, then it doesn't
> matter to Windows XP if the BIOS does not see more than 137GB.
> As long as SP1 has been installed, Windows XP will see the entire
> drive.
>

> >1)The manual says nothing about this
> >2)The matsonic site says nothing about this
> >3)Matsonic support does not reply to my emails
> >4)The people who sold it to me have no idea
> >5) I tried looking at http://www.phoenix.com/en/products/default.htm to
see
> >what the bios is capable of but I cannot find the information needed!
> >
> >HELP!!!
> >

> >---

---

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013&Product=winxp
Open your BIOS and check hard drive/IDE ATAPI settings for
LBA48 support.

| >Windows XP will see the entire
| > drive.
|
| are you sure about this?
|
| --
| --
| Hope this helps. Let us know.
| _____________
| Kenny S
| foksot2004 at hotmail.com
| www.computerboom.net
| "Andy" <1@2.3> wrote in message
| > On Thu, 27 May 2004 11:47:13 +0300, "Kenny"
<hotmail@coldmail.com>
| > wrote:
| >
| > >I have a matsonic motherboard MS9127C
| > >with bios: phoenix award bios v 6.00 PG (DATE
07/18/2003)

| > If that's the true date of the BIOS, then I'd be very
surprised if it
| > doesn't support 48-bit LBA.
| >

| > >Is this capable of 48-bit LBA so that I can add a
bigger drive than 137
| GB?
| >
| > If you're adding the large drive to an existing one,
then it doesn't
| > matter to Windows XP if the BIOS does not see more than
137GB.
| > As long as SP1 has been installed, Windows XP will see
the entire
| > drive.
| >

| > >1)The manual says nothing about this
| > >2)The matsonic site says nothing about this
| > >3)Matsonic support does not reply to my emails
| > >4)The people who sold it to me have no idea
| > >5) I tried looking at
http://www.phoenix.com/en/products/default.htm to
| see
| > >what the bios is capable of but I cannot find the
information needed!

| > >HELP!!!
| > >

| > >---
| > >Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com).
26/5/2004

| ---
26/5/2004

Andy

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

On Sat, 29 May 2004 16:30:21 +0300, "Kenny" <hotmail@coldmail.com>
wrote:

>>Windows XP will see the entire
>> drive.
>
>are you sure about this?

Yes. I used to run two 160GB drives on a motherboard whose BIOS could
see only 137GB of the drives. Once Windows XP has been booted, it does
not use the BIOS to access the hard drives.

>--

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

thanks for that info....Andy

www.computerboom.net
"Andy" <1@2.3> wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 May 2004 16:30:21 +0300, "Kenny" <hotmail@coldmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >>Windows XP will see the entire
> >> drive.
> >
> >are you sure about this?
>
> Yes. I used to run two 160GB drives on a motherboard whose BIOS could
> see only 137GB of the drives. Once Windows XP has been booted, it does
> not use the BIOS to access the hard drives.
>

> >--

---