A7N8X-X BIOS ROM checksum error

Hi,

I just put together a system with a A7N8X-X motherboard - so far only
CPU, one block of RAM, and a 8x AGP card is installed, plus drives.

When I power up, all I get is "BIOS ROM checksum error", and then the
drive A lights up, and stays lit.

In about 1 out of 20 restarts, the computer will boot, recognizing the
CPU wrong, but detecting the correct amount of RAM, and the correct
hard disks.

It sometimes freezes here, but other times it is possible to enter
BIOS setup. I was able to set the clock, and save settings, but upon
reboot, I got "BIOS ROM checksum error" again.

In all other cases, the system has frozen after a few selections have
been made in the BIOS screens. Twice the display became garbled, with
random charcters all over.

I have tried clearing CMOS by removing the battery and moving the
relevant jumper, that doesn't help, but I guess that would only clear
BIOS RAM, not the ROM.

Is there anything to do apart from get a replacement board?

Any ideas will be apreciated!

Mads Hansen

Update the bios, i think the firmware is buggy.

"piet" <twic@casema.nl> wrote in message news:<HpidnWg8ZvCNSWfdRVn-vg@casema.nl>...
> Update the bios, i think the firmware is buggy.

Thanks, but the system seems to have become worse.

Yesterday I restarted it about 50 times, and couldn't so far as to be
able to update BIOS.

So I guess, it's going back to the shop...

Mads Hansen

maze@cheerful.com (Mads Hansen) wrote in message news:<dab15284.0407200143.eebadb8@posting.google.com>...

> So I guess, it's going back to the shop...
>
> Mads Hansen

The shop gave me a new MB - their tech couldn't breathe any life into
the board either.

The replacement board works as it should, and actually seems faster
than my old A7N8X Deluxe - especially the POST seems a lot faster.

Mads Hansen