P4C800-E Deluxe CPU question?

I'm going to buy this mobo soon, and have a question about the bios that
will ship with the board. I was thinking of getting the P4-3E GHz(800 MHz
FSB) (HT) (90nm) 1 mb cache over the P4-3 GHz(800 MHz FSB) (HT) 512 cache.
(if I have this right) but the P4-3E requires bios 1016. So if I get a board
with a lower bios, and the P4-3E chip would I be screwed. Could I flash the
board without it ever booting up to a operating system.

Thank you
Dave
21 answers Last reply
More about p4c800 deluxe question

    Hi Dave,
    I put together the same MB and 3.0E last month without any problems. The MB
    was a rev 2.0 and had BIOS 0015 installed.
    I installed Win/XP Pro and a few applications before I updated to BIOS 0016.
    I am guessing that full support for the 3.0E CPU is active when you get to
    BIOS 0016.
    There is a beta 0017 available but I will wait for it's official release.
    If you want to use the ASUSprob there is a newer level on ASUS WEB site.
    The version that came on the CD would get errors on startup half the time.
    There has been some discussion on the hardware revision of the MB but I
    never found out what the difference is between the 1.xx and 2.0 versions.
    Mine was a ver 2.0. It is printed on the MB between two PCI sockets to the
    right of the P4C800-E logo.
    So far I am very pleased with this MB and CPU combination.

    Good Luck,
    Rich

    "dwtjr" <motojoe@home.com> wrote in message
    > I'm going to buy this mobo soon, and have a question about the bios that
    > will ship with the board. I was thinking of getting the P4-3E GHz(800 MHz
    > FSB) (HT) (90nm) 1 mb cache over the P4-3 GHz(800 MHz FSB) (HT) 512 cache.
    > (if I have this right) but the P4-3E requires bios 1016. So if I get a
    board
    > with a lower bios, and the P4-3E chip would I be screwed. Could I flash
    the
    > board without it ever booting up to a operating system.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Dave

    Thanks for the responce Rich.
    I'm going to order the stuff off newegg, so hopefully I'll have no problems.
    I'm excited about going from 750mz the 3000.

    Thanks again

    "Rich Elgin" <relgin@ameritech.net> wrote in message
    > Hi Dave,
    > I put together the same MB and 3.0E last month without any problems. The
    MB
    > was a rev 2.0 and had BIOS 0015 installed.
    > I installed Win/XP Pro and a few applications before I updated to BIOS
    0016.
    > I am guessing that full support for the 3.0E CPU is active when you get to
    > BIOS 0016.
    > There is a beta 0017 available but I will wait for it's official release.
    > If you want to use the ASUSprob there is a newer level on ASUS WEB site.
    > The version that came on the CD would get errors on startup half the time.
    > There has been some discussion on the hardware revision of the MB but I
    > never found out what the difference is between the 1.xx and 2.0 versions.
    > Mine was a ver 2.0. It is printed on the MB between two PCI sockets to
    the
    > right of the P4C800-E logo.
    > So far I am very pleased with this MB and CPU combination.
    >
    > Good Luck,
    > Rich
    >
    > "dwtjr" <motojoe@home.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm going to buy this mobo soon, and have a question about the bios that
    > > will ship with the board. I was thinking of getting the P4-3E GHz(800
    MHz
    > > FSB) (HT) (90nm) 1 mb cache over the P4-3 GHz(800 MHz FSB) (HT) 512
    cache.
    > > (if I have this right) but the P4-3E requires bios 1016. So if I get a
    > board
    > > with a lower bios, and the P4-3E chip would I be screwed. Could I flash
    > the
    > > board without it ever booting up to a operating system.
    > >
    > > Thank you
    > > Dave

    dwtjr,

    I just assembled a system that I bought from newegg:

    P4P800-E Deluxe
    P4 3.0C
    Zalman CPU fan #CNPS7000A-AlCu
    2GB Mushkin RAM
    WD SATA 120GB HD (as boot drive)
    Antec SLK3700-BQE case w/extra case fan
    (other stuff I had already -- 2nd HD, fax/modem, Matrox G450)

    It's lightning fast, so quiet you can barely hear it, and 100% stable. Not
    overclocked. CPU runs at ~33C. MB runs at ~37C.

    John

    Hello John
    Sounds like a nice system. This will be my third asus board (I have a CUBX)
    right now, and it has it's short comings (the CMD ATA controllers not that
    great)
    I still have to figure out what ram I'm going to get. I'll probably only get
    512, so I can have win98 + XP. Did newegg package up the stuff good?

    Thanks you
    Dave

    "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > dwtjr,
    >
    > I just assembled a system that I bought from newegg:
    >
    > P4P800-E Deluxe
    > P4 3.0C
    > Zalman CPU fan #CNPS7000A-AlCu
    > 2GB Mushkin RAM
    > WD SATA 120GB HD (as boot drive)
    > Antec SLK3700-BQE case w/extra case fan
    > (other stuff I had already -- 2nd HD, fax/modem, Matrox G450)
    >
    > It's lightning fast, so quiet you can barely hear it, and 100% stable.
    Not
    > overclocked. CPU runs at ~33C. MB runs at ~37C.
    >
    > John

    Hi Dave,

    Newegg shipped everything immediately, and with one exception, it was all
    packaged very well and arrived is perfect condition. The motherboard and
    CPU were surrounded by "popcorn." In fact, the CPU and RAM was in a
    separate box filled with "popcorn" and that box was in the larger box of
    "popcorn." The whole system was very well protected.

    The Antec case was shipped in it's original carton -- not a carton within a
    carton -- and it arrived slightly damaged. The carton had clearly been
    dropped on its corner and there was a slight dent in the top of the case.
    Newegg and FedEx were excellent in handling the problem, and Newegg replaced
    the case with no cost to me. It took over a week to get the new case, and
    that was frustrating, but at least handling the claim was easy. In fact,
    they didn't even want the damaged case returned, even though the damage was
    minimal. I now have two cases, but don't need the second one.

    One nice thing about Newegg is that if you change your mind, you can return
    some (most?) items with a 15% restocking fee.

    I would definitely recommend Newegg and will buy from them again.

    I bought ASUS because my previous system was an ASUS CUV4X-E and it worked
    perfectly for 3.5 years. I did a fresh install of XP Home and the system
    really flies. Photoshop is the only app I use that really taxes the system,
    and it's amazing to me how fast Photoshop runs on this system compared to my
    older (P3) system. This is the first time I've built my own system and it
    turned out to be much easier than I'd thought it would be -- thanks in good
    part to the very helpful folks in this newsgroup.

    Good luck with your new system, and have fun with it!

    John

    > Hello John
    > Sounds like a nice system. This will be my third asus board (I have a
    CUBX)
    > right now, and it has it's short comings (the CMD ATA controllers not that
    > great)
    > I still have to figure out what ram I'm going to get. I'll probably only
    get
    > 512, so I can have win98 + XP. Did newegg package up the stuff good?
    >
    > Thanks you
    > Dave
    > >

    > "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > > dwtjr,
    > >
    > > I just assembled a system that I bought from newegg:
    > >
    > > P4P800-E Deluxe
    > > P4 3.0C
    > > Zalman CPU fan #CNPS7000A-AlCu
    > > 2GB Mushkin RAM
    > > WD SATA 120GB HD (as boot drive)
    > > Antec SLK3700-BQE case w/extra case fan
    > > (other stuff I had already -- 2nd HD, fax/modem, Matrox G450)
    > >
    > > It's lightning fast, so quiet you can barely hear it, and 100% stable.
    > Not
    > > overclocked. CPU runs at ~33C. MB runs at ~37C.
    > >
    > > John

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:04:14 -0700, "John Blaustein"
    <nomail@nomail.com> wrote:

    >dwtjr,
    >
    >I just assembled a system that I bought from newegg:
    >
    >P4P800-E Deluxe
    >P4 3.0C
    >Zalman CPU fan #CNPS7000A-AlCu
    >2GB Mushkin RAM
    >WD SATA 120GB HD (as boot drive)
    >Antec SLK3700-BQE case w/extra case fan
    >(other stuff I had already -- 2nd HD, fax/modem, Matrox G450)
    >
    >It's lightning fast, so quiet you can barely hear it, and 100% stable. Not
    >overclocked. CPU runs at ~33C. MB runs at ~37C.
    >
    >John

    It's a crime not to overclock that lot! Even if you only use the AI
    10% overclock at least you get 3.3 out of it with no loss of stability
    or excess heat (I bulit a similar system a week ago). Try it.

    ChrisH

    Thanks, ChrisH...

    I may try it. Can't I set the overclocking in BIOS? (I'm not at my P4P
    machine right now, so can't look.) If you say that 10% won't decrease
    stability or add excessive heat, I'll do it.

    John

    "ChrisH" <chrish@easynet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:04:14 -0700, "John Blaustein"
    > <nomail@nomail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >dwtjr,
    > >
    > >I just assembled a system that I bought from newegg:
    > >
    > >P4P800-E Deluxe
    > >P4 3.0C
    > >Zalman CPU fan #CNPS7000A-AlCu
    > >2GB Mushkin RAM
    > >WD SATA 120GB HD (as boot drive)
    > >Antec SLK3700-BQE case w/extra case fan
    > >(other stuff I had already -- 2nd HD, fax/modem, Matrox G450)
    > >
    > >It's lightning fast, so quiet you can barely hear it, and 100% stable.
    Not
    > >overclocked. CPU runs at ~33C. MB runs at ~37C.
    > >
    > >John
    > >

    > It's a crime not to overclock that lot! Even if you only use the AI
    > 10% overclock at least you get 3.3 out of it with no loss of stability
    > or excess heat (I bulit a similar system a week ago). Try it.
    >
    > ChrisH

    I've heard newegg was very fast on there orders, and they have great prices.
    I'll probably order the stuff tomorow.
    Thanks for all the help John.
    Tim, I'll check out how the get past the 512 limit in win98

    Thanks for all the help guys.

    "ChrisH" <chrish@easynet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:04:14 -0700, "John Blaustein"
    > <nomail@nomail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >dwtjr,
    > >
    > >I just assembled a system that I bought from newegg:
    > >
    > >P4P800-E Deluxe
    > >P4 3.0C
    > >Zalman CPU fan #CNPS7000A-AlCu
    > >2GB Mushkin RAM
    > >WD SATA 120GB HD (as boot drive)
    > >Antec SLK3700-BQE case w/extra case fan
    > >(other stuff I had already -- 2nd HD, fax/modem, Matrox G450)
    > >
    > >It's lightning fast, so quiet you can barely hear it, and 100% stable.
    Not
    > >overclocked. CPU runs at ~33C. MB runs at ~37C.
    > >
    > >John
    > >

    > It's a crime not to overclock that lot! Even if you only use the AI
    > 10% overclock at least you get 3.3 out of it with no loss of stability
    > or excess heat (I bulit a similar system a week ago). Try it.
    >
    > ChrisH

    Dave,

    If you have any interest in an Antec SLK3700-BQE case, I am selling my extra
    one. See details here:
    http://www.antec.com/us/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=93703

    You can e-mail me directly at john at johnblaustein dot com

    John

    > The Antec case was shipped in it's original carton -- not a carton within
    > carton -- and it arrived slightly damaged. The carton had clearly been
    > dropped on its corner and there was a slight dent in the top of the case.
    > Newegg and FedEx were excellent in handling the problem, and Newegg
    replaced
    > the case with no cost to me. It took over a week to get the new case, and
    > that was frustrating, but at least handling the claim was easy. In fact,
    > they didn't even want the damaged case returned, even though the damage
    was
    > minimal. I now have two cases, but don't need the second one.

    Did you use NewEgg's e-mail RMA procedure?
    (They only want calls for special requests.)

    I'm surprised they didn't have you ship back the case.
    Maybe *instead* of returning it, NewEgg had someone from FedEx come to your
    place to inspect the damaged case? If so, how many days later?

    How many days until they *shipped* out the new case?
    (They claim it will be within 2 days.)

    Hi QZ,

    Here's what happened: The damaged case arrived, so I called Newegg's
    customer service number. They told me to call FedEx and ask FedEx for a
    claim number. (I can't remember the exact term they both use -- "control
    number," or something like that). Newegg said that when I had the FedEx
    number, I should call Newegg back and give them that number. FedEx took
    down a few details and asked what the carton looked like, and what the
    damage to the item was. I explained that the corner of the carton was
    slightly bashed in and that there was a small dent in the top of the Antec
    case. I also explained that the Styrofoam liner inside the carton was
    broken in several places, indicating that the carton clearly had been
    dropped. FedEx took all that down and gave me a claim number.

    I then called Newegg back, gave them the number and they said I'd receive a
    call or e-mail from their claims department within a week. It took a week
    or maybe a day or two more, and I got an e-mail from Newegg saying they were
    shipping a new case and that they and FedEx had determined they did not want
    the damaged one returned.

    It took several days longer before the replacement case arrived.

    So, to answer your questions, "no," I did not use Newegg's RMA Web page -- I
    called. And, "no," FedEx did not come to inspect the case. And, "no," it
    did not take 2 days to get the replacement -- more like two weeks. During
    the two week period, I called Newegg a few times to see what was happening
    and in all cases, their customer service people were extremely friendly, and
    I trusted that they were doing all they could to get the replacement to me
    as soon as possible. (I, too, was surprised they didn't want the damaged
    case returned, particularly since I clearly described that the damage was
    very minimal.)

    John

    "QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10fo0ho451d3g7f@corp.supernews.com...
    > "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > > The Antec case was shipped in it's original carton -- not a carton
    within
    > > carton -- and it arrived slightly damaged. The carton had clearly been
    > > dropped on its corner and there was a slight dent in the top of the
    case.
    > > Newegg and FedEx were excellent in handling the problem, and Newegg
    > replaced
    > > the case with no cost to me. It took over a week to get the new case,
    and
    > > that was frustrating, but at least handling the claim was easy. In
    fact,
    > > they didn't even want the damaged case returned, even though the damage
    > was
    > > minimal. I now have two cases, but don't need the second one.
    >
    > Did you use NewEgg's e-mail RMA procedure?
    > (They only want calls for special requests.)
    >
    > I'm surprised they didn't have you ship back the case.
    > Maybe *instead* of returning it, NewEgg had someone from FedEx come to
    your
    > place to inspect the damaged case? If so, how many days later?
    >
    > How many days until they *shipped* out the new case?
    > (They claim it will be within 2 days.)

    Hi,

    If you are under the impression that Win98 will not work in a system with >
    512 MB ram then do a bit of searching as others have reported that it is a
    simple system.ini edit or something like that.

    If you do a google on "Win98 512 system.ini" (without the quotes...) you
    will get a lot of info including helpful ones like this:

    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win98/Q_20980310.html

    Memory is so cheap that limiting yourself now may result in a bad config...
    IE get 2 x 512's rather than 2 x 256's and XP will swim along nicely.

    - Tim

    "dwtjr" <motojoe@home.com> wrote in message
    > Hello John
    > Sounds like a nice system. This will be my third asus board (I have a
    > CUBX)
    > right now, and it has it's short comings (the CMD ATA controllers not that
    > great)
    > I still have to figure out what ram I'm going to get. I'll probably only
    > get
    > 512, so I can have win98 + XP. Did newegg package up the stuff good?
    >
    > Thanks you
    > Dave
    >>

    > "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >> dwtjr,
    >>
    >> I just assembled a system that I bought from newegg:
    >>
    >> P4P800-E Deluxe
    >> P4 3.0C
    >> Zalman CPU fan #CNPS7000A-AlCu
    >> 2GB Mushkin RAM
    >> WD SATA 120GB HD (as boot drive)
    >> Antec SLK3700-BQE case w/extra case fan
    >> (other stuff I had already -- 2nd HD, fax/modem, Matrox G450)
    >>
    >> It's lightning fast, so quiet you can barely hear it, and 100% stable.
    > Not
    >> overclocked. CPU runs at ~33C. MB runs at ~37C.
    >>
    >> John

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:48:50 -0700, "John Blaustein"
    <nomail@nomail.com> wrote:

    >Thanks, ChrisH...
    >
    >I may try it. Can't I set the overclocking in BIOS? (I'm not at my P4P
    >machine right now, so can't look.) If you say that 10% won't decrease
    >stability or add excessive heat, I'll do it.
    >
    >John

    Sure you can. OC'ing purists would say to get the highest clock speeds
    you have to set the memory and SPU parameters manually - and they are
    right. But for a modest increase like 10% the 'automatic' AI setting
    is fine and worth doing.

    ChrisH

    I have used Newegg for years, and have always been very happy with them.

    I, like you, did receive a bad item once. And, like you, they didn't
    want the old one back. Maybe, in your case, the damaged case really
    belongs to FedEx now, and what would FedEx do with it???

    Plus, they sent me a Newegg cap (hat), with my replacement item, for
    my trouble. :)

    John Blaustein wrote:

    > During
    > the two week period, I called Newegg a few times to see what was happening
    > and in all cases, their customer service people were extremely friendly, and
    > I trusted that they were doing all they could to get the replacement to me
    > as soon as possible. (I, too, was surprised they didn't want the damaged
    > case returned, particularly since I clearly described that the damage was
    > very minimal.)
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Walt,

    I got the baseball cap too, a nice touch. I really like the advanced
    search -- when you click on the "Shop For" links on the left side of the
    home page. It makes it so easy to narrow a search and compare similar
    items. Also, the wish lists and shopping cart functions are terrific.

    Now that I have this extra case, I so tempted to build another machine, but
    I don't need one!

    John

    "Walt" <NoSpamForWalt@Early.com> wrote in message
    > I have used Newegg for years, and have always been very happy with them.
    >
    > I, like you, did receive a bad item once. And, like you, they didn't
    > want the old one back. Maybe, in your case, the damaged case really
    > belongs to FedEx now, and what would FedEx do with it???
    >
    > Plus, they sent me a Newegg cap (hat), with my replacement item, for
    > my trouble. :)
    >
    > John Blaustein wrote:
    > >
    > > During
    > > the two week period, I called Newegg a few times to see what was
    happening
    > > and in all cases, their customer service people were extremely friendly,
    and
    > > I trusted that they were doing all they could to get the replacement to
    me
    > > as soon as possible. (I, too, was surprised they didn't want the
    damaged
    > > case returned, particularly since I clearly described that the damage
    was
    > > very minimal.)
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    > So, to answer your questions, "no," I did not use Newegg's RMA Web page --
    > called. And, "no," FedEx did not come to inspect the case. And, "no," it
    > did not take 2 days to get the replacement -- more like two weeks. During
    > the two week period, I called Newegg a few times to see what was happening
    > and in all cases, their customer service people were extremely friendly,
    and
    > I trusted that they were doing all they could to get the replacement to me
    > as soon as possible.

    Actually, I said NewEgg claims to send advance replacements, and their
    normal shipping policy is to *ship* in one to two business days, then it
    takes another three business days for it to be *delivered*; a total of 4-5
    business days (which is usually 6-7 days). They don't say that if there is a
    damaged item, they won't advance replace it. But from your review, it
    appears they will only advance replace defective items, or one has to ask
    for an advance replacement. Or maybe the case was out of stock.

    Thanks for the vendor review.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    QZ,

    Sorry if I misunderstood your post.

    I asked for an advance replacement, but they wouldn't do it without charging
    my credit card and also charging me for shipping. Had I done it that way,
    they'd have refunded the cc charge once the damage claim was settled, but
    they wouldn't have refunded the shipping on the replacement. In order for
    it to cost me nothing -- which is what I wanted -- I had to wait for the
    claim process to complete, and that's what took a week or ten days. Once
    the claim was approved, the case was shipped via FedEx 2-day. (It was not
    an issue of the case being out of stock.)

    Hope that clarifies it.

    I think you are right that if an item is defective, they will "cross-ship."
    That is, they send the replacement immediately and you send back the bad
    one. I haven't had to deal with that as this damaged case is the first time
    I've had a problem with anything from newegg.

    John

    "QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10fqfq9cceqed73@corp.supernews.com...
    > > "QZ" <nothing> wrote in message
    > > > How many days until they *shipped* out the new case?
    > > > (They claim it will be within 2 days.)
    >
    > "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > > So, to answer your questions, "no," I did not use Newegg's RMA Web
    page --
    > > called. And, "no," FedEx did not come to inspect the case. And, "no,"
    it
    > > did not take 2 days to get the replacement -- more like two weeks.
    During
    > > the two week period, I called Newegg a few times to see what was
    happening
    > > and in all cases, their customer service people were extremely friendly,
    > and
    > > I trusted that they were doing all they could to get the replacement to
    me
    > > as soon as possible.
    >
    > Actually, I said NewEgg claims to send advance replacements, and their
    > normal shipping policy is to *ship* in one to two business days, then it
    > takes another three business days for it to be *delivered*; a total of 4-5
    > business days (which is usually 6-7 days). They don't say that if there is
    > damaged item, they won't advance replace it. But from your review, it
    > appears they will only advance replace defective items, or one has to ask
    > for an advance replacement. Or maybe the case was out of stock.
    >
    > Thanks for the vendor review.

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Hello John
    Thanks for the offer, but I have a fairly new Addtronics case.
    Thanks John

    > Dave,
    >
    > If you have any interest in an Antec SLK3700-BQE case, I am selling my
    extra
    > one. See details here:
    > http://www.antec.com/us/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=93703
    >
    > You can e-mail me directly at john at johnblaustein dot com
    >
    > John
    >

    > "dwtjr" <motojoe@home.com> wrote in message
    > > I've heard newegg was very fast on there orders, and they have great
    > prices.
    > > I'll probably order the stuff tomorow.
    > > Thanks for all the help John.
    > > Tim, I'll check out how the get past the 512 limit in win98
    > >
    > > Thanks for all the help guys.
    > > >

    > > "ChrisH" <chrish@easynet.co.uk> wrote in message

    > > Not

    > > > It's a crime not to overclock that lot! Even if you only use the AI
    > > > 10% overclock at least you get 3.3 out of it with no loss of stability
    > > > or excess heat (I bulit a similar system a week ago). Try it.
    > > >
    > > > ChrisH

  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    > QZ,
    > Sorry if I misunderstood your post.
    >
    > I asked for an advance replacement, but they wouldn't do it without
    charging
    > my credit card and also charging me for shipping. Had I done it that way,
    > they'd have refunded the cc charge once the damage claim was settled, but
    > they wouldn't have refunded the shipping on the replacement. In order for
    > it to cost me nothing -- which is what I wanted -- I had to wait for the
    > claim process to complete, and that's what took a week or ten days. Once
    > the claim was approved, the case was shipped via FedEx 2-day. (It was not
    > an issue of the case being out of stock.)
    >
    > Hope that clarifies it.
    >
    > I think you are right that if an item is defective, they will
    "cross-ship."
    > That is, they send the replacement immediately and you send back the bad
    > one. I haven't had to deal with that as this damaged case is the first
    time
    > I've had a problem with anything from newegg.

    The way I understood the advance replacement policy, with no distinction
    between defective and damaged, was they immediately send out a new case, and
    charge your cc for a new case plus shipping. In the meantime, you pay to
    send the damaged item back, and then they refund you the second cc charge in
    total.

    So, all it costs is the return shipping, which for a case is ~$15, if you
    get the same rate as them. (They weren't asking for you to ship back the
    case, so it shouldn't have cost you anything to have them 'cross-ship' a
    replacement.)

    If I understand you correctly, for an advance replacement, they would have
    you pay to ship it back *and* pay for the shipping of the replacement. While
    their site says, you pay to send it back, they pay to send out the
    replacement. Their site doesn't make a distinction between advance
    replacements and regular replacements nor between defective items and
    damaged items.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    OZ,

    To be honest, I don't remember exactly what newegg said when I first called
    about the damaged case. Based on everything that was said, however, I
    decided to simply wait for the replacement. As I mentioned, they didn't
    send the replacement until the claim process completed, and that took a week
    or ten days.

    I'm sure you are correct in your assessment of their policies, and that if I
    had requested a cross-shipment, the shipping charge (them to me) would have
    been refunded along with the refund for the cost of the second case. As I
    recall, if I had requested a cross-ship, I would have been responsible for
    getting the damaged case back to them (as you pointed out). I think that's
    why I decided to wait for the claim to be processed. I figured that FedEx
    would come for the damaged case when they delivered the replacement, but as
    we discussed, they didn't want the damaged case returned at all.

    Newegg handled it all very fairly as far as I was concerned.

    John

    "QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10fqrrpg49ni277@corp.supernews.com...
    > "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > > QZ,
    > > Sorry if I misunderstood your post.
    > >
    > > I asked for an advance replacement, but they wouldn't do it without
    > charging
    > > my credit card and also charging me for shipping. Had I done it that
    way,
    > > they'd have refunded the cc charge once the damage claim was settled,
    but
    > > they wouldn't have refunded the shipping on the replacement. In order
    for
    > > it to cost me nothing -- which is what I wanted -- I had to wait for the
    > > claim process to complete, and that's what took a week or ten days.
    Once
    > > the claim was approved, the case was shipped via FedEx 2-day. (It was
    not
    > > an issue of the case being out of stock.)
    > >
    > > Hope that clarifies it.
    > >
    > > I think you are right that if an item is defective, they will
    > "cross-ship."
    > > That is, they send the replacement immediately and you send back the bad
    > > one. I haven't had to deal with that as this damaged case is the first
    > time
    > > I've had a problem with anything from newegg.
    >
    > The way I understood the advance replacement policy, with no distinction
    > between defective and damaged, was they immediately send out a new case,
    and
    > charge your cc for a new case plus shipping. In the meantime, you pay to
    > send the damaged item back, and then they refund you the second cc charge
    in
    > total.
    >
    > So, all it costs is the return shipping, which for a case is ~$15, if you
    > get the same rate as them. (They weren't asking for you to ship back the
    > case, so it shouldn't have cost you anything to have them 'cross-ship' a
    > replacement.)
    >
    > If I understand you correctly, for an advance replacement, they would have
    > you pay to ship it back *and* pay for the shipping of the replacement.
    While
    > their site says, you pay to send it back, they pay to send out the
    > replacement. Their site doesn't make a distinction between advance
    > replacements and regular replacements nor between defective items and
    > damaged items.

  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    How to get past the "Old Wives Tale" of 512 meg limit of memory on Win98.

    Go to system .ini. <in the main windows folder>
    In the line vcache add...........

    [vcache]
    MaxFileCache=524288

    This is for any system running over 768meg of RAM. This line prevents vcache
    runaway.

    --
    KdF <Nothing to see here , move along>
    "dwtjr" <motojoe@home.com> wrote in message
    > I've heard newegg was very fast on there orders, and they have great
    prices.
    > I'll probably order the stuff tomorow.
    > Thanks for all the help John.
    > Tim, I'll check out how the get past the 512 limit in win98
    >
    > Thanks for all the help guys.
    > >

    > "ChrisH" <chrish@easynet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:04:14 -0700, "John Blaustein"
    > > <nomail@nomail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >dwtjr,
    > > >
    > > >I just assembled a system that I bought from newegg:
    > > >
    > > >P4P800-E Deluxe
    > > >P4 3.0C
    > > >Zalman CPU fan #CNPS7000A-AlCu
    > > >2GB Mushkin RAM
    > > >WD SATA 120GB HD (as boot drive)
    > > >Antec SLK3700-BQE case w/extra case fan
    > > >(other stuff I had already -- 2nd HD, fax/modem, Matrox G450)
    > > >
    > > >It's lightning fast, so quiet you can barely hear it, and 100% stable.
    > Not
    > > >overclocked. CPU runs at ~33C. MB runs at ~37C.
    > > >
    > > >John
    > > >

    > > It's a crime not to overclock that lot! Even if you only use the AI
    > > 10% overclock at least you get 3.3 out of it with no loss of stability
    > > or excess heat (I bulit a similar system a week ago). Try it.
    > >
    > > ChrisH

Asus BIOS Cache CPUs Motherboards