Upgrading CPU, motherboard, and memory with XP

I'm upgrading my Windows XP Professional system by just
replacing the motherboard, CPU, and memory. Windows XP is
still installed on the same hard drive. What do I need to
know about what XP will do when it tries to boot the first
time?
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrading motherboard memory

    "Tom S" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:13a7e01c4441a
    $3333ae80$a001280a@phx.gbl:

    > I'm upgrading my Windows XP Professional system by just
    > replacing the motherboard, CPU, and memory. Windows XP is
    > still installed on the same hard drive. What do I need to
    > know about what XP will do when it tries to boot the first
    > time?

    Boot UP with teh Windows XP CD, then after the EULA agreement, (press F8),
    then let it detect a previous version of Windows and repair it. I have done
    it many times. You will also need to reapply ALL Windows Updates and
    reactivate.If you can back up your important things to a CD or different
    drive, then a clean reinstall would be your best bet

    Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Tom S" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

    | I'm upgrading my Windows XP Professional system by just
    | replacing the motherboard, CPU, and memory. Windows XP is
    | still installed on the same hard drive. What do I need to
    | know about what XP will do when it tries to boot the first
    | time?

    Hi, Tom.

    Carey's (and Michael's) advice is right on. Note that this project will
    likely take half a day or so.

    I jumped in only to point out that "just replacing the motherboard, CPU, and
    memory" is like "just replacing the heart and brain" for a human! This is
    major surgery, not just a nip'n'tuck. To WinXP, it doesn't much matter
    whether you moved the HD to a different computer, or left the HD and
    replaced the mobo. Either way, WinXP wakes up in a new world when you
    reboot and nothing fits anymore. Everything is still where it was on the
    HD, but they are no longer the right things. The new chipset and controller
    won't work with the old drivers. To use a car analogy, the transmission
    lever is on the floor now, not on the steering column. Unless that new mobo
    is practically identical to the old one - and you wouldn't be upgrading if
    it were, would you? - WinXP Setup needs to run again so that it can
    REcustomize WinXP to fit your new mobo/BIOS/chipset/HD controller, etc.

    I didn't want you to think that Carey and Michael were overstating the case.
    You really do need to reinstall WinXP itself, although you can preserve your
    installed applications and data - and most of your tweaks - by using the
    Repair Install (also known as an "in-place upgrade") as Michael says.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Tom S" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm upgrading my Windows XP Professional system by just
    > replacing the motherboard, CPU, and memory. Windows XP is
    > still installed on the same hard drive. What do I need to
    > know about what XP will do when it tries to boot the first
    > time?

    Greetings --

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM licenses are not
    transferable to a new motherboard), unless the new motherboard is
    virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS
    version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation
    was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a.
    in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    important data before starting.

    This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
    Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
    days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    "Tom S" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm upgrading my Windows XP Professional system by just
    > replacing the motherboard, CPU, and memory. Windows XP is
    > still installed on the same hard drive. What do I need to
    > know about what XP will do when it tries to boot the first
    > time?

Windows XP CPUs Motherboards Memory