Upgrading CPU, motherboard, and memory with XP

I'm upgrading my Windows XP Professional system by just
replacing the motherboard, CPU, and memory. Windows XP is
still installed on the same hard drive. What do I need to
know about what XP will do when it tries to boot the first
time?

"Tom S" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:13a7e01c4441a
$3333ae80$a001280a@phx.gbl:

> I'm upgrading my Windows XP Professional system by just
> replacing the motherboard, CPU, and memory. Windows XP is
> still installed on the same hard drive. What do I need to
> know about what XP will do when it tries to boot the first
> time?

Boot UP with teh Windows XP CD, then after the EULA agreement, (press F8),
then let it detect a previous version of Windows and repair it. I have done
it many times. You will also need to reapply ALL Windows Updates and
reactivate.If you can back up your important things to a CD or different
drive, then a clean reinstall would be your best bet

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Tom S" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

| I'm upgrading my Windows XP Professional system by just
| replacing the motherboard, CPU, and memory. Windows XP is
| still installed on the same hard drive. What do I need to
| know about what XP will do when it tries to boot the first
| time?

Hi, Tom.

Carey's (and Michael's) advice is right on. Note that this project will
likely take half a day or so.

I jumped in only to point out that "just replacing the motherboard, CPU, and
memory" is like "just replacing the heart and brain" for a human! This is
major surgery, not just a nip'n'tuck. To WinXP, it doesn't much matter
whether you moved the HD to a different computer, or left the HD and
replaced the mobo. Either way, WinXP wakes up in a new world when you
reboot and nothing fits anymore. Everything is still where it was on the
HD, but they are no longer the right things. The new chipset and controller
won't work with the old drivers. To use a car analogy, the transmission
lever is on the floor now, not on the steering column. Unless that new mobo
is practically identical to the old one - and you wouldn't be upgrading if
it were, would you? - WinXP Setup needs to run again so that it can
REcustomize WinXP to fit your new mobo/BIOS/chipset/HD controller, etc.

I didn't want you to think that Carey and Michael were overstating the case.
You really do need to reinstall WinXP itself, although you can preserve your
installed applications and data - and most of your tweaks - by using the
Repair Install (also known as an "in-place upgrade") as Michael says.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Tom S" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm upgrading my Windows XP Professional system by just
> replacing the motherboard, CPU, and memory. Windows XP is
> still installed on the same hard drive. What do I need to
> know about what XP will do when it tries to boot the first
> time?

Greetings --

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM licenses are not
transferable to a new motherboard), unless the new motherboard is
virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS
version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation
was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a.
in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least:

important data before starting.

This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm