P4P800/P4P800SE sync FSB problems

I've had some trouble getting my new sytem up and running right and would
like some help. Here's the scoop. I bought a P4P800SE and a P42.6C, had it
running fine, no problems. The only ram I had when I got it was a single
stick of Kingston DDR3200 Valueram. I started testing how far I could get
the processor clocked up to once I'd burnt it in for about a week. I was
able to easily get to 3250 but needless to say, I wasn't running sync. I
bought a dual-channel 2x256Mb OCZ DDR4000 on a recommendation from a friend
and tried it out. It works fine, but here is where I discovered that the
fsb/memory ratio can't be locked on this board either, there isn't an
option. I tried all the suggestions in the forum. No luck, I appeared to
lose dual-channel mode as soon as I raised the FSB over 200 on the P4P800SE
but on the P4P800 board it stays in dual-channel mode. It runs fine async on
either board. But this isn't why I bought the ram is it? A colleague at work
is running a P4P800, not the SE and he's got it running sync and he has the
ratio setting in the bios. It's even in the manual, I checked before buying
the board. Sure enough, I have a similar problem, no ratio setting in the
bios of the new P4P800 I've bought. I flashed up to rev 1017Beta from 1014
one rev at a time. No change. The system runs great with everything at auto,
even runs fine with the cpu at 3250 but this automatically clocks my ram
back to 2700 no matter what I do. I also crash running 3D Mark2001SE if I'm
overclocked. None of this happened with the old single stick of 3200? I'm
not sure where to go on this from here. I've always had perfomance mode set
to standard, spread spectrum is the first thing I disable on every
motherboard I touch. Setting the mem timings to 3-4-4-8 doesn't change
anything and if you leave it set to By SPD the board tries to push the
memory to 2.5 timings (I noticed that mention elsewhere in the forums too).
On the P4P800SE I can see and set my DDR speed to 500 but it won't post. On
the P4P800 it doesn't offer me the 500 speed option at all, it's like it
doesn't detect it's full speed. I check with all the different bios rev's I
tried. I've reseated the memory twice, cleared the bios numerous times as
well, installed one stick at a time. Nothing has helped so far. I don't use
Asus AI software, everything I work with is in the bios.

Here's the configuration:
Asus P4P800
Intel P4 2.6C, stock Intel cooler
2x256Mb DDR4000 OCZ, dual-channel kit, OCZ500512ELDC-K should be the part
number, I can check the modules if needed but that's what I ordered.
ATI Radeon 9000Pro
2x120Gb Seatgate 7200.7 SATA150 as RAID1 volume (boot drive)
Western Digital 120Gb BB series (misc data temp data storage, being removed
soon) on Primary Master
LiteOn DVD-RW on Secondary Master
LiteOn DVD-CDRW combo on Secondary Slave
ATI TV-Wonder
Soundblaster Audigy
Antec SLK2650BQE with Antec 380W PSU from a Sonata
80MM Vantec Stealth mounted on an IceSystems T-Bone fan bracket to cool
chipset and memory

So here are the questions:
Do you need to hit a key sequence with this board to get more bios options
like my GA-7VAX?
Did I miss something really simple here?
Is the Audigy or the TV Wonder a problem? (I doubt it's the Radeon 9000Pro?)
Is it because I'm running RAID1? There were no extra options there before I
connected the drives
Is it a memory compatability issue?
Why doesn't the new P4P800 offer me the manual DDR speed setting for 500?

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance
Mark
3 answers Last reply
More about p4p800 p4p800se sync problems

    oops...sorry just cleared the bios and forgot to reset time!

    In article <EfEKc.4480$Gf7.143449@news20.bellglobal.com>, "zzipper"
    <zzipper@NOOSPAMMMMsympatico.ca> wrote:

    > oops...sorry just cleared the bios and forgot to reset time!

    I don't know if I can make sense of all your symptoms, but here goes...

    When the 875/865 boards first came out, it was noted that
    the DDR memory setting only corresponded to the actual frequency
    when the board ran at stock speed. For example, if the CPU got 200MHz
    clock (FSB800) and the DDR memory setting was "DDR400", then the
    memory actually ran at 200MHz_clock * 2 (for DDR rating) = DDR400.

    What the DDR memory settings were actually doing, is selecting
    "ratios" and not frequencies. As soon as the processor was overclocked,
    the memory options would remain the same, but the actual memory
    frequency would increase by the amount the FSB was overclocked.

    So, the reason the P4P800 offers nothing above DDR400, is DDR400
    is the 1:1 ratio, and as far as I know, there isn't an option to
    have a memory clock higher than the processor clock.

    So, on the P4P800, DDR400 = 1:1 ratio, DDR333 = 5:4 ratio,
    DDR266 = 3:2 ratio. There may be other ratios available, but in
    the Intel datasheets for the Northbridge, in typical Intel fashion,
    not all the values are documented (so Asus would have discovered
    and tested them in the lab, to figure it out).

    Example: You have a P4 version C processor with FSB800. You decide
    to change the processor clock from 200MHz to 250MHz. The memory
    is set to "DDR400", which is actually selecting the 1:1 ratio.
    Since that ratio is now fixed, when the processor goes from 200MHz
    to 250MHz, the memory goes to 250MHz as well, and the memory actually
    runs at DDR500, even though the BIOS setting says "DDR400".

    Example_2: Same FSB800 processor. Same overclock, 200MHz to 250MHz
    processor clock. This time, you set the memory to "DDR333". The
    ratio 5:4 is triggered. When CPU clock is 250MHz, the memory gets
    250*(4/5)=200MHz. The memory actually runs at DDR400.

    As for the P4P800SE, it almost looks like they tried to fix the
    BIOS to indicate actual DDR rate, rather than just represent the
    available ratios. I would guess, that the five values listed in
    the BIOS are not available under all conditions, and only the
    DDR rates supported by the above mentioned ratios would show up.
    So, for example, if you set the processor clock to 250MHz, then
    I would expect to see DDR500 offered in the P4P800SE, instead
    of the bogus "DDR400" 1:1 seen in a P4P800 BIOS.

    The rest of your symptoms could be due to the SPD programming
    of the OCZ memory, and its interaction with the BIOS. There are
    two ways to parse the SPD. One way is to use fixed point math,
    rounding and calculations etc. Another way is to if-then-else
    for fixed values you would expect to find as the result of
    following the JEDEC standard. For memory above DDR400, there is
    no JEDEC standard defined for DDR433, DDR500 etc. And, as a
    consequence, no expectation of a sane parsing of the SPD. Many
    memory manufacturers fix this, by only showing DDR400 timings in
    the BIOS, in the hopes that the SPD won't upset the BIOS. It is
    then the user's responsibility to set the params manually.

    A result of this, is a badly written BIOS will "throw up its hands",
    if it doesn't understand what it is reading. The absolute safest
    BIOS setting it could use, is a 3:2 ratio, and turning off dual
    channel (although the latter part seems like overkill - for
    dual channel, it should be enough to find two identical sticks!).

    I tried searching on abxzone.com, for more concrete examples of
    how the P4P800 SE BIOS works. You may want to give that a few
    tries, as I haven't turned up anything interesting yet. One
    tidbit I did find, suggests that AMI writes the early BIOS for
    boards, and then at some point Asus stops paying for that service,
    and takes over support for themselves. If they cannot understand
    or follow the AMI code, that might result in some quirks in later
    BIOS.

    There are too many boards in that family, to follow how the BIOS
    on all of them work. The attempt to use actual frequency on the
    P4P800 SE came as a surprise to me. I didn't think Asus would
    ever step away from the "ratio" method of the P4P800.

    Abxzone has many threads on the family, including some interesting
    hacks, where you flash a P4P8X BIOS onto a board, then flash
    the non-boot-block portion of the real board BIOS, to get some
    different chipset initialization code. User "Bigtoe" figures
    prominently in some of these efforts. It is possible that if you
    pick up a BIOS Savior for $20-$25 and flash a different board
    BIOS, you might end up with a more predictable overclock behavior.
    Just depends on how "risk averse" you are.

    I saw the writing on the wall over there, and bought a P4C800-E
    instead. The thing is, 1:1 overclocks are not guaranteed to be
    free of video artifacts on the 865PE chipset. Search on p4p800 and
    artifact for more interesting results, including the abxzone
    poll that was taken, which shows what percentage of 865PE boards
    work well at 1:1 ratio plus overclocking.

    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/search.php
    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60797&highlight=p4p8x
    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62275&highlight=artifact+p4p800

    Paul

> [...]
    > > soon) on Primary Master
    > > LiteOn DVD-RW on Secondary Master
    > > LiteOn DVD-CDRW combo on Secondary Slave
    > > ATI TV-Wonder
    > > Soundblaster Audigy
    > > Antec SLK2650BQE with Antec 380W PSU from a Sonata
    > > 80MM Vantec Stealth mounted on an IceSystems T-Bone fan bracket to cool
    > > chipset and memory
    > >
    > > So here are the questions:
    > > Do you need to hit a key sequence with this board to get more bios options
    > > like my GA-7VAX?
    > > Did I miss something really simple here?
    > > Is the Audigy or the TV Wonder a problem? (I doubt it's the Radeon
    > 9000Pro?)
    > > Is it because I'm running RAID1? There were no extra options there before
    > > connected the drives
    > > Is it a memory compatability issue?
    > > Why doesn't the new P4P800 offer me the manual DDR speed setting for 500?

    Hi Paul, thanks for the detailed info. I was able to return the P4P800SE for
    credit and you are right about the 1:1 ratio being the 400 DDR setting, I
    discovered this Sunday night. All it well and I'm happily running at 231FSB
    with the memory and cpu running sync which was the objective. Hopefully when
    I get a better cpu cooler in a couple of weeks I'll be able to crank up to
    250. That's why I got the PC4000 DDR:-) Again, thanks for your help and
    info.
    Mark

Asus Motherboards