After flashing my BIOS to 1011, my MB is dead

I used the ASUSUpdate windows tool to update my A7V8X-X's BIOS and it failed
during Checksum verification after it flashed my BIOS. Now the computer is
totally DEAD. I can't even boot to floppy to re-flash my BIOS.

What can I do other than buy a new motherboard? Any help would be
appreciated. Also, why doesn't the CrashFree BIOS kicking in? It's suppose
to allow me to recover from BAD bios flashes.

Thanx in advance.
10 answers Last reply
More about after flashing bios 1011 dead

    In article <zGKKc.55717$Mr4.17026@pd7tw1no>, "Hello" <hello@hello.com> wrote:

    > I used the ASUSUpdate windows tool to update my A7V8X-X's BIOS and it failed
    > during Checksum verification after it flashed my BIOS. Now the computer is
    > totally DEAD. I can't even boot to floppy to re-flash my BIOS.
    >
    > What can I do other than buy a new motherboard? Any help would be
    > appreciated. Also, why doesn't the CrashFree BIOS kicking in? It's suppose
    > to allow me to recover from BAD bios flashes.
    >
    > Thanx in advance.

    First of all, the flash isn't monolithic and made with just one piece
    of code in it. It stores a number of pieces of information, but I'll
    concentrate on the code portion.

    There are two chunks of code. One chunk is called the Boot Block, the
    other chunk is the Main BIOS Code. The Boot Block is the home of the
    Crashfree routine, plus enough code to boot from a floppy, but perhaps
    without the ability to drive an AGP video card.

    There are several flashing methods for flashing a BIOS chip, and all
    of them probably have some option to flash the Boot Block or the
    Main BIOS code. However, if you say "Yes" to updating the Boot Block,
    then if the Boot Block gets corrupted, then Crashfree won't work any
    more. So, Crashfree is only available if you are flashing the Main
    BIOS code (yes, this is stupid - Gigabyte fixes this with their Dual
    BIOS chip solution).

    In some of their updates, Asus gives special instructions for flashing
    the BIOS, and what the special instructions or special tool (wrapper
    script) are doing, is causing the Boot Block to get flashed. Any time
    Asus does this, they are removing your "Crashfree" safety net, for
    that one flash update.

    I presume in your case, that you attempted to update both, and the
    update failed.

    The safest way to flash, is by booting a DOS floppy, and using the
    version of DOS flasher provided on the Asus download site. When
    booted in DOS, there isn't going to be a lot of pesky multitasking
    going on, to upset the flash process, as there could be with a
    Windows flasher.

    A second consideration, is overclocking. If you are overclocking,
    you would be well advised to return to stock settings. The reason
    for this is, an overclocked board may be overclocking the LPC clock
    to the flash chip, and violating the timing on the flash chip could
    cause the flash process to fail.

    Before using any flash method, always visit the Asus download page
    for your motherboard. Frequently, there are various warnings, about
    certain versions of the BIOS, not being flashable with certain of
    the methods. You should always read the BIOS history link, or the
    "More" links next to the various BIOS releases, for these warnings.
    While I don't see any warnings for your board, you should
    check there for yourself.

    Finally, you don't have to RMA the board to get it running again.
    There are a number of providers of BIOS flash chips. You pull out
    the old one and install a new chip. The BIOS is usually socketed
    and removable (the exception being the odd OEM board that has
    the chip soldered to the motherboard, to save the small cost of
    the socket). You can visit www.badflash.com for example, and see
    what they charge. You can even contact Asus Tech Support (toll call)
    and ask them for a phone number of an Asus person in your country
    or area, who sells replacement chips. I think Asus sends the chip
    by mail, so the transit time could be quite long. One of the
    other services might use a courier to ship, reducing the wait and
    increasing the price.

    There are some other methods for flashing, such as "hot flashing",
    but this requires finding a board that uses a similar flash interface,
    removing that boards BIOS chip while the computer is running, then
    inserting the dead flash chip and reflashing it. There is some danger
    to this procedure (like if the LPC flash chip gets rotated in the
    socket and shorts to the wrong pins), and I don't recommend this for
    the average user. (Hell, I wouldn't do that myself!)

    Buying a replacement BIOS chip is more likely to yield a working
    motherboard and a reasonably cheap lesson about what flash tools
    are good and what ones are bad. If you feel particularly accident
    prone, buying a BIOS Savior (ioss.com.tw) is one way to guarantee
    this doesn't happen again. To use the BIOS Savior, you need at least
    one good BIOS image, and unless you live near a vendor like Eksit,
    who are willing to program the BIOS Savior before sending it to
    you, you will need the services of badflash.com and the purchase
    of the BIOS Savior as well.

    Before removing the current flash chip. make a diagram of the
    orientation of the chip. The chip will have a "dot" on it, and
    that may be lined up with a triangle marking on the socket. Make
    sure the dot on the replacement chip is aligned the same way.
    If the replacement flash chip doesn't come with a chip puller,
    a nimble person can pull the flash chip, using a pointed tool,
    like an awl. Be careful to lift the chip equally on all sides as
    it is extracted. Similarly, press equally on all sides when inserting
    the new chip. If the chip is inserted/extracted crooked, pins can
    get bent. You can also get a very nice tool from Radio Shack,
    for pulling PLCC chips, that should work as well. It costs $10.

    HTH,
    Paul

    "Hello" <hello@hello.com> wrote in message
    > I used the ASUSUpdate windows tool to update my A7V8X-X's BIOS and it
    failed
    > during Checksum verification after it flashed my BIOS. Now the computer
    is
    > totally DEAD. I can't even boot to floppy to re-flash my BIOS.
    >
    > What can I do other than buy a new motherboard? Any help would be
    > appreciated. Also, why doesn't the CrashFree BIOS kicking in? It's
    suppose
    > to allow me to recover from BAD bios flashes.
    >
    > Thanx in advance.

    You need to read about upgrading your bios..
    If it fail'd checksum verification then that means you needed to reflash
    either the old bios or try the new one again (but I think you restarted your
    pc to just see if it would be okay)

    The CrashFree Bios doesnt just "kick in"..
    Go Read about it..
    It's Just as easy to do but you need to read how to do it.

    Fascinating read paul thanks!

> [...]
    > who are willing to program the BIOS Savior before sending it to
    > you, you will need the services of badflash.com and the purchase
    > of the BIOS Savior as well.
    >
    > Before removing the current flash chip. make a diagram of the
    > orientation of the chip. The chip will have a "dot" on it, and
    > that may be lined up with a triangle marking on the socket. Make
    > sure the dot on the replacement chip is aligned the same way.
    > If the replacement flash chip doesn't come with a chip puller,
    > a nimble person can pull the flash chip, using a pointed tool,
    > like an awl. Be careful to lift the chip equally on all sides as
    > it is extracted. Similarly, press equally on all sides when inserting
    > the new chip. If the chip is inserted/extracted crooked, pins can
    > get bent. You can also get a very nice tool from Radio Shack,
    > for pulling PLCC chips, that should work as well. It costs $10.

    Flashing the BIOS is an iffy thing; as you unfortunately found out.

    --
    DaveW

    "Hello" <hello@hello.com> wrote in message
    > I used the ASUSUpdate windows tool to update my A7V8X-X's BIOS and it
    failed
    > during Checksum verification after it flashed my BIOS. Now the computer
    is
    > totally DEAD. I can't even boot to floppy to re-flash my BIOS.
    >
    > What can I do other than buy a new motherboard? Any help would be
    > appreciated. Also, why doesn't the CrashFree BIOS kicking in? It's
    suppose
    > to allow me to recover from BAD bios flashes.
    >
    > Thanx in advance.

    wow...thanx Paul....that's alot of detaisl. Yes I know I shouldn't have
    flashed it even though I've done the same thing many other times and had no
    problems.
    I used ASUSUpdae (in Windows) and there might have been a check mark that
    says to also flash the BOOT BLOCK
    but I didn't pay too much attention. Why have something that could kill
    your MB be the default setting?
    Atleast ASUS should have it unchecked and let the user decide.

    I'm hooped and I know it.....have to spend some $$ to take out the BIOS chip
    and get it flashed or buy a new MB.

> [...]
    > who are willing to program the BIOS Savior before sending it to
    > you, you will need the services of badflash.com and the purchase
    > of the BIOS Savior as well.
    >
    > Before removing the current flash chip. make a diagram of the
    > orientation of the chip. The chip will have a "dot" on it, and
    > that may be lined up with a triangle marking on the socket. Make
    > sure the dot on the replacement chip is aligned the same way.
    > If the replacement flash chip doesn't come with a chip puller,
    > a nimble person can pull the flash chip, using a pointed tool,
    > like an awl. Be careful to lift the chip equally on all sides as
    > it is extracted. Similarly, press equally on all sides when inserting
    > the new chip. If the chip is inserted/extracted crooked, pins can
    > get bent. You can also get a very nice tool from Radio Shack,
    > for pulling PLCC chips, that should work as well. It costs $10.

    NEVER flash a bios under Windows. Either do it under DOS, or do it from
    the BIOS update feature built into the most recent BIOS'. But NEVER do
    it under Windows.

    Hello wrote:
    > I used the ASUSUpdate windows tool to update my A7V8X-X's BIOS and it failed
    > during Checksum verification after it flashed my BIOS. Now the computer is
    > totally DEAD. I can't even boot to floppy to re-flash my BIOS.
    >
    > What can I do other than buy a new motherboard? Any help would be
    > appreciated. Also, why doesn't the CrashFree BIOS kicking in? It's suppose
    > to allow me to recover from BAD bios flashes.
    >
    > Thanx in advance.

    Asus will send you another Bios chip via Fedex for under $20, at least that
    was cost for me a year or so back. lol

    > Flashing the BIOS is an iffy thing; as you unfortunately found out.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW

    It's only iffy if your doing it wrong or using someone elses bogus code..

    > Flashing the BIOS is an iffy thing; as you unfortunately found out.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW

    It's only iffy if your doing it wrong or using someone elses bogus code..

    Not if you have Gigabyte board. If you hose the main bios it will boot up off
    the back up and then you can fix the main bios......................

    Hi,

    Odd you should say that. A GB board I have is the first one that I have ever
    had that required frequent cmos clear operations and booting off the
    alternate bios to work out a stable config. So it would appear for this to
    be better appreciated, one needs to include iffy BIOS's provided by the mobo
    vendor. No wonder they have 2 bios chips. As I have said before, I would
    rather have 1 bios chip with a bios that works than 2 with bios' that don't.

    If you read through this news group, most of the dead bios issues are user
    error and from curiosity rather than necessity.

    - Tim

    "Courseyauto" <courseyauto@aol.com> wrote in message
    > "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
    >> Flashing the BIOS is an iffy thing; as you unfortunately found out.
    >>
    >> --
    >> DaveW
    >>

    > It's only iffy if your doing it wrong or using someone elses bogus code..
    >

    > Not if you have Gigabyte board. If you hose the main bios it will boot
    > up off
    > the back up and then you can fix the main bios......................

Asus BIOS Motherboards