A7S333, 2200+ won't boot windows XP -- update

Sorry, I would put this with the orginal, but I have noticed that
questions I ask in replies don't seem to get responses.

I could not get my Althon XP 2200 to boot WinXP at 133 clock rate. It
was recommened to use the dip switches to set frequency instead of the
BIOS. I tried that, with odd results. Trying a variety of
combinations of 100 and 133 clock and CPU didn't yield much
interesting. But when I reset the jumper to use BIOS settting, All of
sudden the board would not boot WinXP with a clock of 100. I cleared
out CMOS just in case, same results.

Using memtest86+ hung somewhere after id'ing the CPU and the cache and
memory speeds at 100. At 133, the screen would even come up. It
died in initialization sometimes reporting an invalid opcode or
unexpected interrupt. I went out and bought a cheapy MSI board that
should support the 2200 and it would post, but when I selected to go
int BIOS setup, it would hang at both 100 and 133.

The MSI board worked in with my old 1200 Palimino, 100, so I am going
to assume it is OK. This leaves me to suspect the processor. I
rebuild the A7S333 with my old 1200 and it booted to XP fine.

The odd thing is that memtest86+ still hangs though.

Unless anyone has any better suggestions I am going to RMA the 2200
CPU.

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 00:15:10 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>OK, go to mersenne.org and download Prime95. Run the "Torture Test"
>and see if your system passes without erroring out or crashing.
>That will apply 100% load and some FP ops to test the processor.
>Either that or running a 3D game, will help wring out the system.
>
>Processors don't usually fail, and that one was probably produced a
>while back. Did you purchase it on Ebay, or was it sitting in a
>computer store all this time ? Were the bridges on the processor
>modified ? And, are there any signs of discoloration, indicating
>an overheat event ?
>
>Bad processors do get shipped. There is a thread on Abxzone, where
>some P4s were found to be marginal, and weren't stable. It took
>the owners quite some time to reach the conclusion it was the
>processor, and what helped was correlating symptoms with one
>another. If a computer only crashes every three to six days,
>it is pretty hard to put "two and two" together.
>
> Paul

It was an OEM processor from an internet retailer. I picked them from
pricewatch because they had a high satistfaction rating. The
processor looked OK, but didn't drop right in to the socket. There
were some bent pins. I straightened them out and got it to drop.
It's possible there was an ESD event, but this is North Carolina in
the summer.

Thanks,

Bryan