Athlon XP 3000+ running at 1750mhz on a7v8x-mx

mozaik

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2004

Hi everyone,
I just upgraded my processor from a duron 800 to an athlon XP 3000+ 333fsb.
My motherboard is an a7v8x-mx. I set the dsw switch for the right frequency,
and the bios says that the fsb is 166 but the processor shows up as "Athlon
XP 1750mhz" instead of "athlon XP 3000+" as it should. Asus probe states
that the fsb is 166 too.
I have already tried clearing the cmos, loading the optimal settings,
changing the ram frequency from 166 to 133. I also tried setting the dsw
switch to 100 and 133, but I just get an "athlon XP 1400mhz" or "athlon XP
1800+".
My bios is version 1006 (the latest stable release), the asus site and the
manual say it supports athlon xp 3000+ 333fsb.
The cpu temperature is 50°C and the motherboard 35°C. 400watt power supply.
I have searched the web and found other people with the same problem, but no
solution.
Can anyone help me? Should I try installing a beta bios ?
The computer seems to be running stable otherwise, except some weird error
with temp files when entering windows, but I don't think that's cpu related.
Any help on this would be really appreciated.

Mozaik wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I just upgraded my processor from a duron 800 to an athlon XP 3000+
> 333fsb. My motherboard is an a7v8x-mx. I set the dsw switch for the right
> frequency, and the bios says that the fsb is 166 but the processor shows
> up as "Athlon XP 1750mhz" instead of "athlon XP 3000+" as it should. Asus
> probe states that the fsb is 166 too.
> I have already tried clearing the cmos, loading the optimal settings,
> changing the ram frequency from 166 to 133. I also tried setting the dsw
> switch to 100 and 133, but I just get an "athlon XP 1400mhz" or "athlon XP
> 1800+".
> My bios is version 1006 (the latest stable release), the asus site and the
> manual say it supports athlon xp 3000+ 333fsb.
> The cpu temperature is 50°C and the motherboard 35°C. 400watt power
> supply. I have searched the web and found other people with the same
> problem, but no solution.
> Can anyone help me? Should I try installing a beta bios ?
> The computer seems to be running stable otherwise, except some weird error
> with temp files when entering windows, but I don't think that's cpu
> related. Any help on this would be really appreciated.

The XP 3000+ with 166MHz FSB has a multiplier of 13. That gives 2.17GHz.

You have 1750MHz. If you assume that the multiplier is constant (it should
be locked) then your FSB is 134.6MHz. But everybody reports your FSB at
166MHz.

1750MHz/166MHz gives a mutliplier of bang on 10.5.

AMD XP processors with a 10.5 Multiplier are:
AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (Palamino) (unlikely to clock to 1750MHz)
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton) FSB of 200MHz.

Thats it. Just those two.

You have a 200MHz XP 3000+.

Ben

"Ben Pope" wrote :

> The XP 3000+ with 166MHz FSB has a multiplier of 13. That gives 2.17GHz.
>
> You have 1750MHz. If you assume that the multiplier is constant (it
should
> be locked) then your FSB is 134.6MHz. But everybody reports your FSB at
> 166MHz.
>
> 1750MHz/166MHz gives a mutliplier of bang on 10.5.
>
> AMD XP processors with a 10.5 Multiplier are:
> AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (Palamino) (unlikely to clock to 1750MHz)
> AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton) FSB of 200MHz.
>
> Thats it. Just those two.
>
> You have a 200MHz XP 3000+.

What you said makes alot of sense, but the place where I got the cpu only
sells one processor with that fsb, and it's a 3200+ wich costs about twice
as much as a 3000+/333mhz.
Also I remember looking at the processor before installing it and the
sticker mentioned it was a 3000+ 333fsb. If it's really a 400mhz, then it
must have been switched by mistake before reaching the store.
That would be quite funny actually. Especially for the guy who paid for a
400fsb and got a 333 hehe.
What should I do? The motherboard doesnt support overclocking, can I change
the multiplier or fsb in some other way?

Thanks for your help

Zink wrote:
> "Ben Pope" wrote :
>>

>> The XP 3000+ with 166MHz FSB has a multiplier of 13. That gives 2.17GHz.
>>
>> You have 1750MHz. If you assume that the multiplier is constant (it
>> should be locked) then your FSB is 134.6MHz. But everybody reports your
>> FSB at 166MHz.
>>
>> 1750MHz/166MHz gives a mutliplier of bang on 10.5.
>>
>> AMD XP processors with a 10.5 Multiplier are:
>> AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (Palamino) (unlikely to clock to 1750MHz)
>> AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton) FSB of 200MHz.
>>
>> Thats it. Just those two.
>>
>> You have a 200MHz XP 3000+.
>

> What you said makes alot of sense, but the place where I got the cpu only
> sells one processor with that fsb, and it's a 3200+ wich costs about twice
> as much as a 3000+/333mhz.
> Also I remember looking at the processor before installing it and the
> sticker mentioned it was a 3000+ 333fsb. If it's really a 400mhz, then it

What sticker? Is this an OEM or a Retail CPU?

What numbers are written on the CPU core?

> must have been switched by mistake before reaching the store.
> That would be quite funny actually. Especially for the guy who paid for a
> 400fsb and got a 333 hehe.
> What should I do? The motherboard doesnt support overclocking, can I
> change the multiplier or fsb in some other way?

Multiplier is locked, FSB is maxxed out. Nothing you CAN do with it really
but run it where it is.

Take it back to the store requesting the CPU you paid for, or suffer the
speed loss of around 20%.

A Barton 2500+ is 166MHz * 11, so yours is running slower than that.
Basically you paid twice as much as you should have, given the speed you can
run your CPU at.

Ben

"Ben Pope" wrote :

> What sticker? Is this an OEM or a Retail CPU?
>
> What numbers are written on the CPU core?
>
> > must have been switched by mistake before reaching the store.
> > That would be quite funny actually. Especially for the guy who paid for
> > 400fsb and got a 333 hehe.
> > What should I do? The motherboard doesnt support overclocking, can I
> > change the multiplier or fsb in some other way?
>

> Multiplier is locked, FSB is maxxed out. Nothing you CAN do with it
really
> but run it where it is.
>
> Take it back to the store requesting the CPU you paid for, or suffer the
> speed loss of around 20%.
>
> A Barton 2500+ is 166MHz * 11, so yours is running slower than that.
> Basically you paid twice as much as you should have, given the speed you
can
> run your CPU at.

This is an OEM cpu. The sticker was on the cpu surface. Not sure who put it
tho.
Is there any way I can make sure this is a 400fsb without removing the
heatsink?
I could get an a7v600-x with 400fsb for about 60 euros, and put the old
duron back on this motherboard.

dick

NewEgg sells a Barton core XP3000+ cpu that uses a 333 fsb with a 13x
multiplier (2.16GHz). $138US.

Zink wrote:
> "Ben Pope" wrote :
>
>>What sticker? Is this an OEM or a Retail CPU?
>>
>>What numbers are written on the CPU core?
>>

>>>must have been switched by mistake before reaching the store.
>>>That would be quite funny actually. Especially for the guy who paid for

>>>400fsb and got a 333 hehe.
>>>What should I do? The motherboard doesnt support overclocking, can I
>>>change the multiplier or fsb in some other way?
>>

>>Multiplier is locked, FSB is maxxed out. Nothing you CAN do with it
>
> really
>
>>but run it where it is.
>>
>>Take it back to the store requesting the CPU you paid for, or suffer the
>>speed loss of around 20%.
>>
>>A Barton 2500+ is 166MHz * 11, so yours is running slower than that.
>>Basically you paid twice as much as you should have, given the speed you
>
> can
>
>>run your CPU at.
>

> This is an OEM cpu. The sticker was on the cpu surface. Not sure who put it
> tho.
> Is there any way I can make sure this is a 400fsb without removing the
> heatsink?
> I could get an a7v600-x with 400fsb for about 60 euros, and put the old
> duron back on this motherboard.

rev

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2004

Mozaik,

I have an AMD 2800 with an A7V8X Deluxe and originally it showed like 1250
mHz instead of full speed.

I AM running Bios 1007 -- which is the latest for the mobo.

I have the CPU set to 166; CPU Freq Multiply set to Auto (which makes it
12.5); System Performance to Optimal; CPU Interface to Optimal; and Memory
Freq by SPD.

Been a long time, but seems like it was the bios update that got it working
for me.

Good luck!

Rev

Zink wrote:
> "Ben Pope" wrote :
>>
>> What sticker? Is this an OEM or a Retail CPU?
>
> This is an OEM cpu. The sticker was on the cpu surface. Not sure who put
> it tho.

Thats odd.

> Is there any way I can make sure this is a 400fsb without removing the
> heatsink?

Trust me. If it's a barton with 10.5 multiplier (which it is) it's the
200MHz FSB XP 3000+

> I could get an a7v600-x with 400fsb for about 60 euros, and put the old
> duron back on this motherboard.

Or get the XP 3000+ with 166MHz FSB for about the same price you paid for
the 3000+ with 200MHz FSB.

Ben

Ben Pope wrote:

> Multiplier is locked, FSB is maxxed out. Nothing you CAN do with it
> really but run it where it is.

Or it could indeed be unlocked. My XP3000+ /333 is unlocked from factory, as
a curiosity. I would certainly try to make sure that the multi is indeed 13
in BIOS.

But this bios doesnt show any multiplier.
There is just a DSW swtich on the mainboard wich can set the fsb to 100, 133
or 166.
Is there any software to see the multiplier?

Zink wrote:
> But this bios doesnt show any multiplier.
> There is just a DSW swtich on the mainboard wich can set the fsb to 100,
> 133 or 166.
> Is there any software to see the multiplier?

Yeah. Go to Start -> Run -> "calc"

:p

I've always used Aida to do that type of thing, it's called something else
now... Everest?

Ben

Rev wrote:
> Mozaik,
>
> I have an AMD 2800 with an A7V8X Deluxe and originally it showed like 1250
> mHz instead of full speed.
>
> I AM running Bios 1007 -- which is the latest for the mobo.
>
> I have the CPU set to 166; CPU Freq Multiply set to Auto (which makes it
> 12.5); System Performance to Optimal; CPU Interface to Optimal; and Memory
> Freq by SPD.
>
> Been a long time, but seems like it was the bios update that got it
> working for me.

More likely it was setting the FSB properly.

It would have defaulted to 100 (*12.5)

But should be 166 * 12.5

Ben

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:41:24 +0100, "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I've always used Aida to do that type of thing, it's called something else
>now... Everest?

AIDA32 is no longer in development. The developer has joined Everest
(not the double glazing firm <g>).

Cheers,

Guy

"If you want to find out what is wrong