Moving an existing drive to a raid setup?

I have an Asus A7N8X 2.0 mainboard with a currently unused Sil 3112A SATA
controller that supports raid 0 and raid 1. I currently use 1- 80GB and 1-
120GB hard discs on the IDE ports. XP Pro and a lot of programs are
currently installed.

My plan is to install 2- 74 GB Raptors on the SATA controllers in a raid 0
array.

I would like to image the current C drive to the array amd make it bootable.

I have Acronis Image 7.0, Ghost 7.0 Corp version and Drive Image 2002 for
software.

Is this possible?

Is there anyone who has done this using only the Sil controller? Is it
possible to first create the raid array and then mirror the C drive to the
array?

This is my first attempt at imaging a SATA drive, raid or not, so any
comments, suggestions, flames or prayers are welcome. If all else fails,
I'll just do a clean install on the array. I'm hoping to do the image or
clone because I know I'll be doing a clean install around the first of the
year when I upgrade to an AMD 64 mainboard and CPU.

TIA

"Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> wrote in message
> I have an Asus A7N8X 2.0 mainboard with a currently unused Sil 3112A SATA
> controller that supports raid 0 and raid 1. I currently use 1- 80GB and 1-
> 120GB hard discs on the IDE ports. XP Pro and a lot of programs are
> currently installed.
>
> My plan is to install 2- 74 GB Raptors on the SATA controllers in a raid 0
> array.
>
> I would like to image the current C drive to the array amd make it
bootable.

> I have Acronis Image 7.0, Ghost 7.0 Corp version and Drive Image 2002 for
> software.
>
> Is this possible?

Yes.

> Is there anyone who has done this using only the Sil controller? Is it
> possible to first create the raid array and then mirror the C drive to the
> array?

That sounds tedious. Create the RAID 0 array and then image C: to it using
one of your image programs.

> This is my first attempt at imaging a SATA drive, raid or not, so any
> comments, suggestions, flames or prayers are welcome. If all else fails,
> I'll just do a clean install on the array. I'm hoping to do the image or
> clone because I know I'll be doing a clean install around the first of the
> year when I upgrade to an AMD 64 mainboard and CPU.

Just do it. It's a non-destructive operation so if a glitch happens...try
try again with no loss.

Acronis drive image 7.0 did the trick. The raid is in and set as C. I don't
know why I thought it would be difficult, something I vaguely remember
reading about raid arrays and imaging a drive I guess. It went easy as pie.