Low budget system -- your advice please?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 20, 2004 10:24:53 PM

Hi,

I just built my first PC -- P4P800-E Deluxe, P4/3.0, 2GB Mushkin RAM. With
the help of many people in this newsgroup, my first PC building experience
went without a hitch.

I may need to build another system and this one needs to be about as "low
end" as possible. It's for my 87 year old mother who only uses the computer
for Quicken and word processing with MS Works. She is now using an old
Pentium system that's at least ten years old.

I have an extra Antec ATX case with a 350w PSU, an extra floppy drive, a
couple of extra Maxtor and WD EIDE drives, so all I really need is a mobo,
CPU, RAM and video card. Looking at newegg, I came up with the following:

ASUS "P4PE2-X" i845PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL
Specifications:
Supported CPU: Socket 478 Intel Pentium 4(HT)/Celeron Processors
Chipset: Intel 845PE + ICH4
FSB: 533/400MHz
RAM: 2x DIMM for DDR333/266 Max 2GB
IDE: 2x ATA 100 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 4X, 4x PCI
Ports: 2xPS/2,1xCOM,1xLPT,RCA SPDIF Out,6xUSB2.0(Rear 4),1xLAN,Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: AD1888 6-Channel Audio
Onboard LAN: Realtek 8101L 10/100Mbps Ethernet
Form Factor: ATX more info-> N82E16813131496 $64.00 $64.00

Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz 400MHz FSB, 128K Cache - Retail
Specifications:
Model: Intel Celeron(Pentium 4 based)
Core: Northwood
Operating Frequency: 2.4GHz
FSB: 400MHz
Cache: L1/12K+8K; L2/128K
Voltage: 1.525V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket 478
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2
Warranty: 3-year MFG
Packaging: Retail box (with Heatsink and Fan)
more info->
N82E16819112176 $67.00 $67.00

Mushkin Basic Green 184 Pin 256MB DDR PC-2700 - Retail
Specification
Manufacturer: Mushkin
Speed: DDR333(PC2700)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2.5-4-4
Support Voltage: 2.5V
Bandwidth: 2.7GB/s
Warranty: Lifetime
more info-> N82E16820146214 $40.00 $80.00

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 7000 Video Card, 32MB SDR, 64-bit, TV-Out, 4X AGP -BULK
Specifications:
Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 7000/150MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 32MB SDR/150MHz
BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video Out+Composite Out)
Support 3D API: DirectX®7, OpenGL®
Cable/Accessories: Driver CD
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@60Hz more info-> N82E16814102215
$31.50 $31.50

For $242.50 plus tax, that seems like a very reasonable system (given I
already own so much of it).

Any thoughts? Do all the above components seem compatible? I checked the
specs on the ASUS site and to the degree I understand all these specs, I
think the mobo, CPU and RAM are all compatible.

Thank you!

John
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 20, 2004 10:33:33 PM

Follow-up to first post...

Perhaps this ASUS mobo with built-in video would be an even better choice:

ASUS "P4G800-V" i865G Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL
Specifications:
Supported CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Celeron Processors
Chipset: Intel 865G + ICH5
FSB: 800/533/400MHz
RAM: 4x DIMM support Dual-Channel DDR400/333/266 Max 4GB
IDE: 2x UltraDMA 100 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 8X,6x PCI
Ports: 2xPS2,1xLPT,1xCOM,8xUSB2.0(Rear 4),1xVGA,1xLAN,Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: AC97 Audio Codec
Onboard Video: Intel Extreme Graphics 2
Onboard LAN: 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet
Onboard SATA: 2x Serial ATA
Form Factor: ATX more info-> N82E16813131439 $91.00 $91.00

Any thoughts?

Again, thank you.

John
July 21, 2004 3:06:35 AM

For low cost consider Amptron ( importer ) systems which can usually
be found in local computer shops and computer shows. It is possible
to get MoBo, CPU, Memory, with integrated Video, 10/100 LAN, Sound,
USB 2, and 56k soft modem for a whole lot less than $200. I have a
Sis chipset Amptron M810 costing me ~ $100 with 1200mhz Duron and
SDRAM memory running Win98SE.

You did say cheap! Yes, the onboard Video steals memory and reduces
memory bandwidth but only a gamer would notice. Boards come with an
AGP video slot to bolt-on horsepower if desired. 2 memory slots and 2
PCI slots and AMR slot ( for modem ).

Killer applications: Trillian, Copernic, Eudora, Ebay, Mozilla 1.5,
digital photos, Hotmail, Freecell, Shanghai, etal

arthur
-----------
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:24:53 -0700, "John Blaustein" wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I just built my first PC -- P4P800-E Deluxe, P4/3.0, 2GB Mushkin RAM. With
>the help of many people in this newsgroup, my first PC building experience
>went without a hitch.
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2004 6:58:31 AM

That's more than horsepower. Better think more about ergonomics for a
"seasoned" user as well, meaning: good chair, large enough display, wrist
support for KB and mouse and remember to lock down the machine with AV,
anti-spyware and a good firewall. Having the security apps, as well as the
OS set to "auto-update" is a good idea as well.

This assumes that your mom isn't a savvy computer user, she may be but I
just offer it as generic advice for people who are building machines for
parents or other newbie's. A separate partition that holds an image of the
boot drive is also a handy thing.

"John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Follow-up to first post...
>
> Perhaps this ASUS mobo with built-in video would be an even better choice:
>
> ASUS "P4G800-V" i865G Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL
> Specifications:
> Supported CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Celeron Processors
> Chipset: Intel 865G + ICH5
> FSB: 800/533/400MHz
> RAM: 4x DIMM support Dual-Channel DDR400/333/266 Max 4GB
> IDE: 2x UltraDMA 100 up to 4 Devices
> Slots: 1x AGP 8X,6x PCI
> Ports: 2xPS2,1xLPT,1xCOM,8xUSB2.0(Rear 4),1xVGA,1xLAN,Audio Ports
> Onboard Audio: AC97 Audio Codec
> Onboard Video: Intel Extreme Graphics 2
> Onboard LAN: 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet
> Onboard SATA: 2x Serial ATA
> Form Factor: ATX more info-> N82E16813131439 $91.00 $91.00
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Again, thank you.
>
> John

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2004 6:58:32 AM

Michael-NC,

That's all good advice. Thanks. My mom's setup isn't bad right now -- good
chair, monitor, wrist support, etc. As much as I try, I can't get her to
use the Internet or e-mail, so the AV stuff isn't as critical as it is for
you and me. The fact is, once I deliver the system, she is not likely to
connect to the Internet at all -- even for updates! And, she only has
dialup, so "always on" isn't an issue.

My mom is by no means a savvy computer user. We used to use pcAnywhere,
then VNC so I could connect to her computer and help her when she was stuck
with something (mostly in Quicken).

Blaedmon... you may be right that the system I described is over-kill for
the use. The current system is so old and slow that I thought a new system
would be nice, but a used P3 is cheap and would be just fine. I'll look
into that.

John

"Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> wrote in message
> That's more than horsepower. Better think more about ergonomics for a
> "seasoned" user as well, meaning: good chair, large enough display, wrist
> support for KB and mouse and remember to lock down the machine with AV,
> anti-spyware and a good firewall. Having the security apps, as well as the
> OS set to "auto-update" is a good idea as well.
>
> This assumes that your mom isn't a savvy computer user, she may be but I
> just offer it as generic advice for people who are building machines for
> parents or other newbie's. A separate partition that holds an image of the
> boot drive is also a handy thing.
>
> "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > Follow-up to first post...
> >
> > Perhaps this ASUS mobo with built-in video would be an even better
choice:

> > ASUS "P4G800-V" i865G Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478
CPU -RETAIL
> > Specifications:
> > Supported CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Celeron Processors
> > Chipset: Intel 865G + ICH5
> > FSB: 800/533/400MHz
> > RAM: 4x DIMM support Dual-Channel DDR400/333/266 Max 4GB
> > IDE: 2x UltraDMA 100 up to 4 Devices
> > Slots: 1x AGP 8X,6x PCI
> > Ports: 2xPS2,1xLPT,1xCOM,8xUSB2.0(Rear 4),1xVGA,1xLAN,Audio Ports
> > Onboard Audio: AC97 Audio Codec
> > Onboard Video: Intel Extreme Graphics 2
> > Onboard LAN: 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet
> > Onboard SATA: 2x Serial ATA
> > Form Factor: ATX more info-> N82E16813131439 $91.00 $91.00
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > Again, thank you.
> >
> > John

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2004 7:54:08 AM

> Michael-NC,
>
> That's all good advice. Thanks. My mom's setup isn't bad right now --
good
> chair, monitor, wrist support, etc. As much as I try, I can't get her to
> use the Internet or e-mail, so the AV stuff isn't as critical as it is for
> you and me. The fact is, once I deliver the system, she is not likely to
> connect to the Internet at all -- even for updates! And, she only has
> dialup, so "always on" isn't an issue.

That used to be so but today you have virii and exploits around that can
infect a user without them doing anything. Dial-up is just not as safe as it
used to be. A firewall is a must today. Of course, if she _never_ connects
to the net, that's a different story.

> My mom is by no means a savvy computer user. We used to use pcAnywhere,
> then VNC so I could connect to her computer and help her when she was
stuck
> with something (mostly in Quicken).
>
> Blaedmon... you may be right that the system I described is over-kill for
> the use. The current system is so old and slow that I thought a new
system
> would be nice, but a used P3 is cheap and would be just fine. I'll look
> into that.
>
> John

I think you're fine those parts. Besides, it's only 240 bucks, why fool
around with a used machine?

> "Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> wrote in message
> > That's more than horsepower. Better think more about ergonomics for a
> > "seasoned" user as well, meaning: good chair, large enough display,
wrist
> > support for KB and mouse and remember to lock down the machine with AV,
> > anti-spyware and a good firewall. Having the security apps, as well as
the
> > OS set to "auto-update" is a good idea as well.
> >
> > This assumes that your mom isn't a savvy computer user, she may be but I
> > just offer it as generic advice for people who are building machines for
> > parents or other newbie's. A separate partition that holds an image of
the
> > boot drive is also a handy thing.
> >
> > "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > > Follow-up to first post...
> > >
> > > Perhaps this ASUS mobo with built-in video would be an even better
> choice:
> > >
> > > ASUS "P4G800-V" i865G Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478
> CPU -RETAIL
> > > Specifications:
> > > Supported CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Celeron Processors
> > > Chipset: Intel 865G + ICH5
> > > FSB: 800/533/400MHz
> > > RAM: 4x DIMM support Dual-Channel DDR400/333/266 Max 4GB
> > > IDE: 2x UltraDMA 100 up to 4 Devices
> > > Slots: 1x AGP 8X,6x PCI
> > > Ports: 2xPS2,1xLPT,1xCOM,8xUSB2.0(Rear 4),1xVGA,1xLAN,Audio Ports
> > > Onboard Audio: AC97 Audio Codec
> > > Onboard Video: Intel Extreme Graphics 2
> > > Onboard LAN: 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet
> > > Onboard SATA: 2x Serial ATA
> > > Form Factor: ATX more info-> N82E16813131439 $91.00 $91.00
> > >
> > > Any thoughts?
> > >
> > > Again, thank you.
> > >
> > > John

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2004 12:20:15 PM

Arthur,

Never heard of them, but I'll make a note of Amptron. Thanks.

John

"Arthur" <no.body.lives.here@xoxy.net> wrote in message
> For low cost consider Amptron ( importer ) systems which can usually
> be found in local computer shops and computer shows. It is possible
> to get MoBo, CPU, Memory, with integrated Video, 10/100 LAN, Sound,
> USB 2, and 56k soft modem for a whole lot less than $200. I have a
> Sis chipset Amptron M810 costing me ~ $100 with 1200mhz Duron and
> SDRAM memory running Win98SE.
>
> You did say cheap! Yes, the onboard Video steals memory and reduces
> memory bandwidth but only a gamer would notice. Boards come with an
> AGP video slot to bolt-on horsepower if desired. 2 memory slots and 2
> PCI slots and AMR slot ( for modem ).
>
> Killer applications: Trillian, Copernic, Eudora, Ebay, Mozilla 1.5,
> digital photos, Hotmail, Freecell, Shanghai, etal
>
> arthur
> -----------
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:24:53 -0700, "John Blaustein" wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I just built my first PC -- P4P800-E Deluxe, P4/3.0, 2GB Mushkin RAM.
With
> >the help of many people in this newsgroup, my first PC building
experience
> >went without a hitch.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2004 4:19:04 PM

Ermm.. if all shes going to do is basically word processing.. why are you
even considering getting something half decent? Just grab a 486. Done.

> [...]
> more info-> N82E16820146214 $40.00 $80.00
>
> SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 7000 Video Card, 32MB SDR, 64-bit, TV-Out, 4X
AGP -BULK
> Specifications:
> Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 7000/150MHz
> Memory/Effective Speed: 32MB SDR/150MHz
> BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X
> Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video Out+Composite Out)
> Support 3D API: DirectX®7, OpenGL®
> Cable/Accessories: Driver CD
> Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@60Hz more info-> N82E16814102215
> $31.50 $31.50
>
> For $242.50 plus tax, that seems like a very reasonable system (given I
> already own so much of it).
>
> Any thoughts? Do all the above components seem compatible? I checked the
> specs on the ASUS site and to the degree I understand all these specs, I
> think the mobo, CPU and RAM are all compatible.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2004 4:19:05 PM

An old P1 200, PII, or even something around 500Mhz would be more than
enough.
check out your local classified you should be able to find a complete system
for well under $200 that will do more than enough of what is required.

Who really cares about specs when it's basicly going to be used for quickin,
etc.

"Blaedmon" <ass@hell.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> >
> > SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 7000 Video Card, 32MB SDR, 64-bit, TV-Out, 4X
> AGP -BULK
> > Specifications:
> > Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 7000/150MHz
> > Memory/Effective Speed: 32MB SDR/150MHz
> > BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X
> > Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video Out+Composite Out)
> > Support 3D API: DirectX®7, OpenGL®
> > Cable/Accessories: Driver CD
> > Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@60Hz more info-> N82E16814102215
> > $31.50 $31.50
> >
> > For $242.50 plus tax, that seems like a very reasonable system (given I
> > already own so much of it).
> >
> > Any thoughts? Do all the above components seem compatible? I checked
the
> > specs on the ASUS site and to the degree I understand all these specs, I
> > think the mobo, CPU and RAM are all compatible.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2004 4:19:06 PM

_chris_

You guys are right. I feel a little dumb now for having made my original
post without first thinking it through. Sorry about that!

John

"_chris_" <chris_farr@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> [...]
> > > more info-> N82E16820146214 $40.00 $80.00
> > >
> > > SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 7000 Video Card, 32MB SDR, 64-bit, TV-Out, 4X
> > AGP -BULK
> > > Specifications:
> > > Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 7000/150MHz
> > > Memory/Effective Speed: 32MB SDR/150MHz
> > > BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X
> > > Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video Out+Composite Out)
> > > Support 3D API: DirectX®7, OpenGL®
> > > Cable/Accessories: Driver CD
> > > Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@60Hz more info-> N82E16814102215
> > > $31.50 $31.50
> > >
> > > For $242.50 plus tax, that seems like a very reasonable system (given
> > > already own so much of it).
> > >
> > > Any thoughts? Do all the above components seem compatible? I checked
> the
> > > specs on the ASUS site and to the degree I understand all these specs,
> > > think the mobo, CPU and RAM are all compatible.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2004 4:19:07 PM

> _chris_
>
> You guys are right. I feel a little dumb now for having made my original
> post without first thinking it through. Sorry about that!
>
> John

Think again, your parts are only 240.00 dollars and you'd have a quality
machine. If your Mom does get on the internet, 200MHz machine is challenged
today. Besides, _you_ have to support that machine. Would you rather send
her something you built that has new parts and that you burned in or an old
clunker?

> "_chris_" <chris_farr@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > An old P1 200, PII, or even something around 500Mhz would be more than
> > enough.
> > check out your local classified you should be able to find a complete
> system
> > for well under $200 that will do more than enough of what is required.
> >
> > Who really cares about specs when it's basicly going to be used for
> quickin,
> > etc.
> >

> > "Blaedmon" <ass@hell.com> wrote in message
> > > Ermm.. if all shes going to do is basically word processing.. why are
> you
> > > even considering getting something half decent? Just grab a 486. Done.
> > >
> > > "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message

RAM.
> > > With
> > experience

> > "low
> > > computer
> old

> > mobo,
> > following:

> > CPU -RETAIL
> > Ports

> > > AGP -BULK
N82E16814102215

> > the

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2004 4:19:08 PM

I'd rather send her a new machine, burned in, tested thoroughly, with all
Windows updates applied. That's what got me thinking about assembling a new
machine, particularly since I have an extra case and the other components
already. And, yes, 240 bucks isn't much these days.

As of now, my mom _never_ goes online!

> "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > _chris_
> >
> > You guys are right. I feel a little dumb now for having made my
original
> > post without first thinking it through. Sorry about that!
> >
> > John
>
> Think again, your parts are only 240.00 dollars and you'd have a quality
> machine. If your Mom does get on the internet, 200MHz machine is
challenged
> today. Besides, _you_ have to support that machine. Would you rather send
> her something you built that has new parts and that you burned in or an
old
> clunker?
>

> > "_chris_" <chris_farr@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > > An old P1 200, PII, or even something around 500Mhz would be more than
> > > enough.
> > > check out your local classified you should be able to find a complete
> > system
> > > for well under $200 that will do more than enough of what is required.
> > >
> > > Who really cares about specs when it's basicly going to be used for
> > quickin,
> > > etc.
> > >

> > > "Blaedmon" <ass@hell.com> wrote in message
> > you
Done.

> RAM.
> > > experience

> > > "low
> > old

> drive,
> > > mobo,
> > > following:

> > > CPU -RETAIL
> > > Ports

> N82E16814102215

> (given

> checked
> > > the
> specs,

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2004 4:19:09 PM

> I'd rather send her a new machine, burned in, tested thoroughly, with all
> Windows updates applied. That's what got me thinking about assembling a
new
> machine, particularly since I have an extra case and the other components
> already. And, yes, 240 bucks isn't much these days.
>
> As of now, my mom _never_ goes online!
>
> John

Besides that, you get to build a machine!

Be careful, it can get to the point where you have a spare stick of ram and
a video card and you start to think... dam, all I need is a case, hard
drive, motherboard, CPU and optical drive and I got a new machine here!

> "Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > > _chris_
> > >
> > > You guys are right. I feel a little dumb now for having made my
> original
> > > post without first thinking it through. Sorry about that!
> > >
> > > John
> >
> > Think again, your parts are only 240.00 dollars and you'd have a quality
> > machine. If your Mom does get on the internet, 200MHz machine is
> challenged
> > today. Besides, _you_ have to support that machine. Would you rather
send
> > her something you built that has new parts and that you burned in or an
> old
> > clunker?
> >

> > > "_chris_" <chris_farr@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > > system

> > > quickin,

> are
> > > you
> Done.

> > RAM.

> as
> the
> an
> > > old

> > drive,

> 4),1xLAN,Audio

> > N82E16814102215

> > (given

> > checked
> > specs,

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2004 4:19:10 PM

You are right... I had such fun this month building my first machine, that
my thinking was working just as you describe!

My mom's current machine is a P166DX, Intel Endeavor2 mobo. I have the old
invoice from when I first bought this machine in 1996 and it's showing only
16MB of RAM -- 2x8MB 72PIN SIMM 60ns. Is that possible? Can a PC really
run on 16MB of RAM? This machine is very slow, that's for sure.

I have another "old box" sitting in the closet -- PII/400 -- Intel
Seattle440BX -- PII, 512K cache, 100MHZ FSB SPD MMX. It's got 128MB RAM,
but looking on eBay, it would be cheap to add 256MB more (there are 3 slots
for RAM). With 384MB RAM, this box might be the answer. I suspect it would
be quite a bit faster than the P166.

Lots of choices.

> Besides that, you get to build a machine!
>
> Be careful, it can get to the point where you have a spare stick of ram
and
> a video card and you start to think... dam, all I need is a case, hard
> drive, motherboard, CPU and optical drive and I got a new machine here!

July 21, 2004 4:19:11 PM

In article <E-ydnQ4wFfiraGDdRVn-vA@lmi.net>, "John Blaustein"
<nomail@nomail.com> wrote:

> You are right... I had such fun this month building my first machine, that
> my thinking was working just as you describe!
>
> My mom's current machine is a P166DX, Intel Endeavor2 mobo. I have the old
> invoice from when I first bought this machine in 1996 and it's showing only
> 16MB of RAM -- 2x8MB 72PIN SIMM 60ns. Is that possible? Can a PC really
> run on 16MB of RAM? This machine is very slow, that's for sure.
>
> I have another "old box" sitting in the closet -- PII/400 -- Intel
> Seattle440BX -- PII, 512K cache, 100MHZ FSB SPD MMX. It's got 128MB RAM,
> but looking on eBay, it would be cheap to add 256MB more (there are 3 slots
> for RAM). With 384MB RAM, this box might be the answer. I suspect it would
> be quite a bit faster than the P166.
>
> Lots of choices.
>
> John

A 440BX would be an excellent choice for this application.
Give her a new power supply (as it is the weak link) and
the rest of it should be pretty easy to throw together.
A PII/400 should be OK, as long as there aren't a lot of
soggy web pages to load. For multimedia on a 440BX (like
software DVD playback), a 1GHz processor would be a better
choice, but for email/spreadsheet type stuff, a 400 would
be acceptable. I was certainly pretty happy with a Celeron
300a overclocked to 450 on my old P2B-S.

And, when the 440BX leaves your computing room, it makes room
for a hot new machine :-)))

What are you planning on using for an OS ?

Paul

> "Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Besides that, you get to build a machine!
> >
> > Be careful, it can get to the point where you have a spare stick of ram
> and
> > a video card and you start to think... dam, all I need is a case, hard
> > drive, motherboard, CPU and optical drive and I got a new machine here!

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2004 4:19:12 PM

Paul,

Thanks for your comments. My mom's use will continue to be Quicken, word
processing, and maybe the Internet at some point. The PII/400 should be
fine, particularly if I add a little more RAM (it has only 128 now).

I'll do a fresh install of Windows 98SE on the PII/400 box -- I don't need
to buy another copy of XP.

Good idea about the power supply. Are power supplies "universal?" That is,
can I look on eBay for any PSU? I assume 300-350w is sufficient.

As for the "hot new machine," I already did that! I just built a P4P800-E
Dlx, P4/3.0, 2GB RAM in a very handsome Antec SLK3700-BQE case. In fact,
over the past month, I've asked a number of questions here and you have been
extremely helpful to me as I've been learning the ins and outs of this
stuff. I've owned PCs since the days of CP/M and the original IBM PC, but
this is the first time I've built my own system. With help from you and
others, I ended up with a system that worked perfectly from the moment I
first booted up and continues to work like a charm.

John

> A 440BX would be an excellent choice for this application.
> Give her a new power supply (as it is the weak link) and
> the rest of it should be pretty easy to throw together.
> A PII/400 should be OK, as long as there aren't a lot of
> soggy web pages to load. For multimedia on a 440BX (like
> software DVD playback), a 1GHz processor would be a better
> choice, but for email/spreadsheet type stuff, a 400 would
> be acceptable. I was certainly pretty happy with a Celeron
> 300a overclocked to 450 on my old P2B-S.
>
> And, when the 440BX leaves your computing room, it makes room
> for a hot new machine :-)))
>
> What are you planning on using for an OS ?
>
> Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2004 5:37:10 PM

> In article <E-ydnQ4wFfiraGDdRVn-vA@lmi.net>, "John Blaustein"
> <nomail@nomail.com> wrote:
>
> > You are right... I had such fun this month building my first machine,
that
> > my thinking was working just as you describe!
> >
> > My mom's current machine is a P166DX, Intel Endeavor2 mobo. I have the
old
> > invoice from when I first bought this machine in 1996 and it's showing
only
> > 16MB of RAM -- 2x8MB 72PIN SIMM 60ns. Is that possible? Can a PC
really
> > run on 16MB of RAM? This machine is very slow, that's for sure.
> >
> > I have another "old box" sitting in the closet -- PII/400 -- Intel
> > Seattle440BX -- PII, 512K cache, 100MHZ FSB SPD MMX. It's got 128MB
RAM,
> > but looking on eBay, it would be cheap to add 256MB more (there are 3
slots
> > for RAM). With 384MB RAM, this box might be the answer. I suspect it
would
> > be quite a bit faster than the P166.
> >
> > Lots of choices.
> >
> > John
> >
> A 440BX would be an excellent choice for this application.
> Give her a new power supply (as it is the weak link) and
> the rest of it should be pretty easy to throw together.
> A PII/400 should be OK, as long as there aren't a lot of
> soggy web pages to load. For multimedia on a 440BX (like
> software DVD playback), a 1GHz processor would be a better
> choice, but for email/spreadsheet type stuff, a 400 would
> be acceptable. I was certainly pretty happy with a Celeron
> 300a overclocked to 450 on my old P2B-S.

I still use one of those at work. I had an old Cely 300A laying in a closet
and put it together for work to replace a 200MHz Compaq. It's clocked at
450MHz and runs XP pretty good with 384 MB ram.

IMHO once you get to 1 GHz, productivity apps are covered well. Video
editing and gaming are a whole other ball game but users rarely need the
latest machine. Even Doom 3 will be playable on a 1.5GHz CPU with 384MB ram
and MX grade graphics. I say this just one day after upgrading my machine to
1 GHz ram and installing a pair of 75GB Raptors in a raid 0 array... It's a
sickness...
July 21, 2004 5:54:35 PM

In article <4OGdnbH4z6LGFWPdRVn-vg@lmi.net>, "John Blaustein"
<nomail@nomail.com> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Thanks for your comments. My mom's use will continue to be Quicken, word
> processing, and maybe the Internet at some point. The PII/400 should be
> fine, particularly if I add a little more RAM (it has only 128 now).
>
> I'll do a fresh install of Windows 98SE on the PII/400 box -- I don't need
> to buy another copy of XP.
>
> Good idea about the power supply. Are power supplies "universal?" That is,
> can I look on eBay for any PSU? I assume 300-350w is sufficient.
>
> As for the "hot new machine," I already did that! I just built a P4P800-E
> Dlx, P4/3.0, 2GB RAM in a very handsome Antec SLK3700-BQE case. In fact,
> over the past month, I've asked a number of questions here and you have been
> extremely helpful to me as I've been learning the ins and outs of this
> stuff. I've owned PCs since the days of CP/M and the original IBM PC, but
> this is the first time I've built my own system. With help from you and
> others, I ended up with a system that worked perfectly from the moment I
> first booted up and continues to work like a charm.
>
> John

PSUs are rather strange. I mean, there are some old 200W or 250W
power supplies that are going to run forever. There are newer 350W
supplies that won't last a week. Stay away from Ebay, for your PSU
purchase, and get something with a brand name on it. Avoid stuff
like Q-Tec (any company that cannot list their output ratings on
their web site is one to be avoided). Fortron-Sparkle are supposed
to be good. Enermax is OK. Antec is OK. In terms of the PSUs you
already own, see if you hear a significant fan speed change, when
driving the CPU to 100%. I changed out one PSU simply based on the
fact that the fan speed change had become more significant over
the months, implying the PSU was getting "tired" (sagging +12V).
All I'm suggesting is, try to stick with something with a track
record, either a supply that has worked well for you long enough
to know it won't die in a week, or a new supply whose brand name
and "died" doesn't show up a lot in Google.

Stuff on Ebay is being sold for a reason, and the reason may
not be a good one.

And my reference to the "hot new machine" was about how some
of us cannot stop building new computers :-))) The only
limit is the space to store them.

Paul

> > A 440BX would be an excellent choice for this application.
> > Give her a new power supply (as it is the weak link) and
> > the rest of it should be pretty easy to throw together.
> > A PII/400 should be OK, as long as there aren't a lot of
> > soggy web pages to load. For multimedia on a 440BX (like
> > software DVD playback), a 1GHz processor would be a better
> > choice, but for email/spreadsheet type stuff, a 400 would
> > be acceptable. I was certainly pretty happy with a Celeron
> > 300a overclocked to 450 on my old P2B-S.
> >
> > And, when the 440BX leaves your computing room, it makes room
> > for a hot new machine :-)))
> >
> > What are you planning on using for an OS ?
> >
> > Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2004 5:54:36 PM

Thanks, Paul... I'll make note of those PSU brands.

John

> PSUs are rather strange. I mean, there are some old 200W or 250W
> power supplies that are going to run forever. There are newer 350W
> supplies that won't last a week. Stay away from Ebay, for your PSU
> purchase, and get something with a brand name on it. Avoid stuff
> like Q-Tec (any company that cannot list their output ratings on
> their web site is one to be avoided). Fortron-Sparkle are supposed
> to be good. Enermax is OK. Antec is OK. In terms of the PSUs you
> already own, see if you hear a significant fan speed change, when
> driving the CPU to 100%. I changed out one PSU simply based on the
> fact that the fan speed change had become more significant over
> the months, implying the PSU was getting "tired" (sagging +12V).
> All I'm suggesting is, try to stick with something with a track
> record, either a supply that has worked well for you long enough
> to know it won't die in a week, or a new supply whose brand name
> and "died" doesn't show up a lot in Google.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2004 10:42:58 PM

_chris_

I've come to the same conclusion and will give my mother an old PII/400 I
have sitting here. With some extra RAM added and a fresh install of 98SE,
it should be fine.

This all started because I have an extra, brand new, Antec SLK3700-BQE case
and some other extra hardware, and I thought it would be fun to build
another system (I just built my first do-it-yourself system).

> Umm
>
> 2.4Ghz for Quicken and NO Net... seems like a little over kill?
July 22, 2004 1:10:26 AM

A fdisk and fresh install of Win9x may work wonders.

I just did one for MIL and the old HP went from unusable to brilliant.
I was about to start ripping out mobos, give her an Athlon 1600 with 512 MB
Ram.... new graphics card.... new.... why not a new system?

Win95 does load in a flash on such a machine...

- Tim

> You are right... I had such fun this month building my first machine, that
> my thinking was working just as you describe!
>
> My mom's current machine is a P166DX, Intel Endeavor2 mobo. I have the
> old
> invoice from when I first bought this machine in 1996 and it's showing
> only
> 16MB of RAM -- 2x8MB 72PIN SIMM 60ns. Is that possible? Can a PC really
> run on 16MB of RAM? This machine is very slow, that's for sure.
>
> I have another "old box" sitting in the closet -- PII/400 -- Intel
> Seattle440BX -- PII, 512K cache, 100MHZ FSB SPD MMX. It's got 128MB RAM,
> but looking on eBay, it would be cheap to add 256MB more (there are 3
> slots
> for RAM). With 384MB RAM, this box might be the answer. I suspect it
> would
> be quite a bit faster than the P166.
>
> Lots of choices.
>
> John
>

> "Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Besides that, you get to build a machine!
>>
>> Be careful, it can get to the point where you have a spare stick of ram
> and
>> a video card and you start to think... dam, all I need is a case, hard
>> drive, motherboard, CPU and optical drive and I got a new machine here!

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2004 1:10:27 AM

Tim,

I had to use acronymfinder.com to get MIL! A fresh install of any OS always
seems to work wonders.

John

"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:cdlbrj$lsq$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> A fdisk and fresh install of Win9x may work wonders.
>
> I just did one for MIL and the old HP went from unusable to brilliant.
> I was about to start ripping out mobos, give her an Athlon 1600 with 512
MB
> Ram.... new graphics card.... new.... why not a new system?
>
> Win95 does load in a flash on such a machine...
>
> - Tim
>

> "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > You are right... I had such fun this month building my first machine,
that
> > my thinking was working just as you describe!
> >
> > My mom's current machine is a P166DX, Intel Endeavor2 mobo. I have the
> > old
> > invoice from when I first bought this machine in 1996 and it's showing
> > only
> > 16MB of RAM -- 2x8MB 72PIN SIMM 60ns. Is that possible? Can a PC
really
> > run on 16MB of RAM? This machine is very slow, that's for sure.
> >
> > I have another "old box" sitting in the closet -- PII/400 -- Intel
> > Seattle440BX -- PII, 512K cache, 100MHZ FSB SPD MMX. It's got 128MB
RAM,
> > but looking on eBay, it would be cheap to add 256MB more (there are 3
> > slots
> > for RAM). With 384MB RAM, this box might be the answer. I suspect it
> > would
> > be quite a bit faster than the P166.
> >
> > Lots of choices.
> >
> > John
> >

> > "Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Besides that, you get to build a machine!
> >>
> >> Be careful, it can get to the point where you have a spare stick of ram
> > and
> >> a video card and you start to think... dam, all I need is a case, hard
> >> drive, motherboard, CPU and optical drive and I got a new machine here!

July 22, 2004 4:30:42 PM

Sorry, I have no idea of what MIL may have returned. I meant Mother In Law.

Was that correct?

- Tim

> Tim,
>
> I had to use acronymfinder.com to get MIL! A fresh install of any OS
> always
> seems to work wonders.
>
> John
>
> "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
>> A fdisk and fresh install of Win9x may work wonders.
>>
>> I just did one for MIL and the old HP went from unusable to brilliant.
>> I was about to start ripping out mobos, give her an Athlon 1600 with 512
> MB
>> Ram.... new graphics card.... new.... why not a new system?
>>
>> Win95 does load in a flash on such a machine...
>>
>> - Tim
>>

>> "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> > You are right... I had such fun this month building my first machine,
> that
>> > my thinking was working just as you describe!
>> >
>> > My mom's current machine is a P166DX, Intel Endeavor2 mobo. I have the
>> > old
>> > invoice from when I first bought this machine in 1996 and it's showing
>> > only
>> > 16MB of RAM -- 2x8MB 72PIN SIMM 60ns. Is that possible? Can a PC
> really
>> > run on 16MB of RAM? This machine is very slow, that's for sure.
>> >
>> > I have another "old box" sitting in the closet -- PII/400 -- Intel
>> > Seattle440BX -- PII, 512K cache, 100MHZ FSB SPD MMX. It's got 128MB
> RAM,
>> > but looking on eBay, it would be cheap to add 256MB more (there are 3
>> > slots
>> > for RAM). With 384MB RAM, this box might be the answer. I suspect it
>> > would
>> > be quite a bit faster than the P166.
>> >
>> > Lots of choices.
>> >
>> > John
>> >

>> > "Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> wrote in message

>> > and

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2004 4:30:43 PM

Tim...

I figured out what you meant. I use acronymfinder.com frequently for all
the shortcuts used in newsgroups, etc. Handy.

John

MIL Military
MIL Mother-In-Law
MIL One Thousandth of An Inch
MIL Machine Intelligence Laboratory
MIL Machine Interface Layer
MIL Magnetic Indicator Loop
MIL Malfunction Indicator Light
MIL Management Information Library
MIL Man-in-the-Loop
MIL Marine Industries Ltd.
MIL Master Inventory List
MIL Matrox Imaging Library
MIL Maui Interscholastic League (Hawaii)
MIL Meat Import Law
MIL Member of the Institute of Linguists
MIL Module Interconnection Language
MIL Multipoint Indication - Loop

"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:cdn1p2$ja3$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> Sorry, I have no idea of what MIL may have returned. I meant Mother In
Law.

> Was that correct?
>
> - Tim
July 25, 2004 1:36:45 AM

http://www.amptron.com/

mobo is the K7-810LM made by PCChips.
Amptron is the importer.
Look around their sites.
I'm not connected, just a satisfied user.

I used one mobo as a replacement for a dead
old Epox 4dx mobo for $100 and change.
This machine has no USB camera problems
unlike my A7V from supportless Asus. Asus
does excel in the blame control department.

I also assembled a compete 810 system with
850 Duron, 128mb ram, WD 7.2k rpm hdd,
RW-CD, FDD, case, kbd, mouse, for under
$400 at a computer show a couple of years ago.

These are NOT high fps game machines but are
workhorses. Installing Win98SE required supplied
drivers and can be a pita as I think I had to do it
twice after getting updated drivers from their
download page. At the time the Sis chipset was
not supported by the Linux kernel which is not
a problem unless one wants to run Linux. Anyway
the 810 mobo has long been replaced by newer.

arthur
--
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:20:15 -0700, "John Blaustein" wrote:
>Arthur,
>
>Never heard of them, but I'll make a note of Amptron. Thanks.
>>John
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2004 1:00:05 PM

Arthur,

Stuff all looks good. Too bad they don't quote prices on their site.

> http://www.amptron.com/
>
> mobo is the K7-810LM made by PCChips.
> Amptron is the importer.
> Look around their sites.
> I'm not connected, just a satisfied user.
>
> I used one mobo as a replacement for a dead
> old Epox 4dx mobo for $100 and change.
> This machine has no USB camera problems
> unlike my A7V from supportless Asus. Asus
> does excel in the blame control department.
>
> I also assembled a compete 810 system with
> 850 Duron, 128mb ram, WD 7.2k rpm hdd,
> RW-CD, FDD, case, kbd, mouse, for under
> $400 at a computer show a couple of years ago.
>
> These are NOT high fps game machines but are
> workhorses. Installing Win98SE required supplied
> drivers and can be a pita as I think I had to do it
> twice after getting updated drivers from their
> download page. At the time the Sis chipset was
> not supported by the Linux kernel which is not
> a problem unless one wants to run Linux. Anyway
> the 810 mobo has long been replaced by newer.
>
> arthur
> --
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:20:15 -0700, "John Blaustein" wrote:
> >Arthur,
> >
> >Never heard of them, but I'll make a note of Amptron. Thanks.
> >>John
July 26, 2004 2:59:09 AM

I avoid buying a mobo mail order and go with what's available from
local sources. If I was forced to buy mail order I would use Copernic
(.com) to search for what I wanted. I was talked into my first 810
Amptron/PCChips mobo as a replacement at a computer show, liked it so
later assembled a complete system for a grandson. We also have 2
Amptron 17in monitors which were good value. If I was looking for top
of the line I would probably go for an ABit. The first decision
should always be which chipset. I will avoid VIA because of the USB
1.1 problems they never fixed for cameras, cams, and such. It is
pretty bad when one has to rely on independent people like USBMAN for
help with OEM hardware.

Which brings us to your statement. Mobo are made for volume sales and
not retail. Think about it. How many people assemble their own
putters vs a brand or maybe a 'white box'?

arthur
--
!