P4PE CPU Support and BIOS Beeps ???

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi there,

I recently attempted to upgrade my P4PE from a 1.7ghz Celeron to a 2.8
ghz P4. Both are 533 mhz FSB. Upon booting, instead of the customary
single beep, I got a series of hi, low, hi, low tones for several
seconds that sounded like London police siren. The sequence then
repeats.That's as far as it gets. No bent pins or other problems. I
flashed the BIOS up to 1007 but the problem persists.

I did notice that the new CPU has a 1meg cache and the MB manual
states that it supports 512 cache.

From the box: Pentuim 4 Processor 2.80A GHz 1.4V max.
System Bus 533MHz, 1MB L2-Cache, PGA-478 Pkg

My questions are:

What exactly do the tones mean?

Is it likey that the cpu is now damaged? (The old one still works
fine)

Is there any workaround?

Does anyone have this CPU working?

I've been to the Asus web site and looked at the cpu compatability
list and
the board supports a P4 2.80 but not a specific letter version. The
CPU I
received was an "A". A visit the the Intel site wasn't much help.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Paul

Splendid

In article <lnjrf0h2omd6127vvd0ss6p2344kequu49@4ax.com>, Gary
<cyberzr@attbi.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I recently attempted to upgrade my P4PE from a 1.7ghz Celeron to a 2.8
> ghz P4. Both are 533 mhz FSB. Upon booting, instead of the customary
> single beep, I got a series of hi, low, hi, low tones for several
> seconds that sounded like London police siren. The sequence then
> repeats.That's as far as it gets. No bent pins or other problems. I
> flashed the BIOS up to 1007 but the problem persists.
>
> I did notice that the new CPU has a 1meg cache and the MB manual
> states that it supports 512 cache.
>
> From the box: Pentuim 4 Processor 2.80A GHz 1.4V max.
> System Bus 533MHz, 1MB L2-Cache, PGA-478 Pkg
>

> My questions are:
>
> What exactly do the tones mean?
>
> Is it likey that the cpu is now damaged? (The old one still works
> fine)
>
> Is there any workaround?
>
> Does anyone have this CPU working?
>
> I've been to the Asus web site and looked at the cpu compatability
> list and
> the board supports a P4 2.80 but not a specific letter version. The
> CPU I
> received was an "A". A visit the the Intel site wasn't much help.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Gary

You bought a Prescott. Virtually all the product on the
cpusupport web page for P4PE is Northwood 0.13 micron.
The BIOS probably doesn't know what to do with the Prescott,
and perhaps the VID voltage request of from 1.25 to 1.4 is
upsetting the BIOS when it expects to see something in the
1.5V to 1.75V range. You can thank Intel for making your
purchasing experience an "interesting" one. If they had
called it 2.8F, it would have caught your eye.

Since the BIOS was able to make the "police siren"
sound, that means the processor was able to run, so it couldn't
have been that bad.

The P4PE-X/TE (i.e third edition) supports _some_ 90nm devices
(prescott family). Not sure about the rest of the P4PE series.

Oh. You can type the SSPEC number (SLxxx) of your processor into
this page. You should always get the SSPEC or the order number
from your vendor, so you know what you are getting before it is
shipped. Using this page will tell you what it is (in a
technical way, not so a layman would be warned of what they
were getting).

http://processorfinder.intel.com

Paul

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:08:40 -0700, Gary <cyberzr@attbi.com> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I recently attempted to upgrade my P4PE from a 1.7ghz Celeron to a 2.8
>ghz P4. Both are 533 mhz FSB. Upon booting, instead of the customary
>single beep, I got a series of hi, low, hi, low tones for several
>seconds that sounded like London police siren. The sequence then
>repeats.That's as far as it gets. No bent pins or other problems. I
>flashed the BIOS up to 1007 but the problem persists.
>
>I did notice that the new CPU has a 1meg cache and the MB manual
>states that it supports 512 cache.
>
>From the box: Pentuim 4 Processor 2.80A GHz 1.4V max.
>System Bus 533MHz, 1MB L2-Cache, PGA-478 Pkg
>

>My questions are:
>
>What exactly do the tones mean?
>
>Is it likey that the cpu is now damaged? (The old one still works
>fine)
>
>Is there any workaround?
>
>Does anyone have this CPU working?
>
>I've been to the Asus web site and looked at the cpu compatability
>list and
>the board supports a P4 2.80 but not a specific letter version. The
>CPU I
>received was an "A". A visit the the Intel site wasn't much help.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Gary

I have almost the exact same system as you have and when I upgraded
it, it was to a 2.8 P4 but a Northwood and not the Prescott version.
This was because I could find nothing saying this chip was supported
on this MB. The whole thing with Intel calling the 2.8 533 buss
Prescott a 2.8A was confusing to say the least. I can see how someone
could buy one in error. I would return it if I could and if not, I
probably would buy a new MB. A P4P800S is a pretty cheap board ($70)
which will take this chip and can use everything else you have on your
P4PE.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Paul & Crypto,

Thanks for your replies. I like the new MB idea

Gary