Need help on cpu 3.0E vs 3.0C please.

Well I ordered an asus p4c800-E motherboard, and a P4 3.0E
I've been reading that the E = prescot runs very HOT. Should I have just
gotten the 3.0C. I read there's not much if any advantage in having the 1meg
cache over the 512
My order is in step 2, so I might be able to call when they (Newegg) opens
tomorrow and have it changed.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you Dave

At Newegg, a 3.0e (Prescott) OEM is $210. A 3.0c (Northwood) OEM is $214.

Would I pay an extra $4 for a Northwood over a Prescott? No.

dwtjr wrote:

> Well I ordered an asus p4c800-E motherboard, and a P4 3.0E
> I've been reading that the E = prescot runs very HOT. Should I have just
> gotten the 3.0C. I read there's not much if any advantage in having the 1meg
> cache over the 512
> My order is in step 2, so I might be able to call when they (Newegg) opens
> tomorrow and have it changed.
> Any help would be appreciated.

ChrisH

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 04:06:28 GMT, "dwtjr" <motojoe@home.com> wrote:

>Well I ordered an asus p4c800-E motherboard, and a P4 3.0E
>I've been reading that the E = prescot runs very HOT. Should I have just
>gotten the 3.0C. I read there's not much if any advantage in having the 1meg
>cache over the 512
>My order is in step 2, so I might be able to call when they (Newegg) opens
>tomorrow and have it changed.
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thank you Dave

The Prescott does run hotter - up to 20deg hotter on idle, and maybe
30deg hotter on load than a Northwood. However, the temperature of the
core should not be used as a measure of the total heat output from the
CPU - the power consumption (total current draw) is fairly similar for
both Prescott and Northwood. This means the amount of heat dumped into
the case is also going to be similar for both CPUs.

With a Prescott running in your PC what you find is a larger apparent
difference between CPU and motherboard (north bridge) temperatures. In
my computer (in a CoolerMaster Praetorian case) the difference was
only seen as an increase in CPU temperature, the case temp changed
very little.

So what performance differences are there? Well it shows up in odd
areas. For example, if you 3DMark01 you will see similar overall
scores - maybe the Prescott doing a little better. Look more closely
and you see tests like polygon drawing increasing 2-fold, with a few
others doing perhaps slightly worse than the Northwood. So performance
depends on the application making use of the S3 capabilities of the
CPU.

I would not be worried about the CPU temperature, it's of no
consequence in a decent case. If you *don't* have a decent case then
the heat output of either the Northwood OR Prescott are going to cause
problems for other components should they be allowed to overheat.

ChrisH