Need help on cpu 3.0E vs 3.0C please.

Well I ordered an asus p4c800-E motherboard, and a P4 3.0E
I've been reading that the E = prescot runs very HOT. Should I have just
gotten the 3.0C. I read there's not much if any advantage in having the 1meg
cache over the 512
My order is in step 2, so I might be able to call when they (Newegg) opens
tomorrow and have it changed.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you Dave

Paul

Splendid

In article <fWlLc.133805$IQ4.101109@attbi_s02>, "dwtjr" <motojoe@home.com>
wrote:

> Well I ordered an asus p4c800-E motherboard, and a P4 3.0E
> I've been reading that the E = prescot runs very HOT. Should I have just
> gotten the 3.0C. I read there's not much if any advantage in having the 1meg
> cache over the 512
> My order is in step 2, so I might be able to call when they (Newegg) opens
> tomorrow and have it changed.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you Dave

3.0E TDP=89 Watts
3.0C TDP=81.9 Watts

The thermal design power is not necessarily the maximum power the
processor can draw. It is an estimate of 100% loading under normal
use conditions, as far as I know. The numbers above don't suggest
much of a difference. (I find my processor draws pretty close to
the thermal design power, when running at 100%. I measure the +12V
feeding the Vcore circuit to determine this.)

People report higher temperatures for Prescott, and while the
processor can overclock higher, you would need a more exotic cooling
solution. As it is, you may find the boxed retail fan of the Prescott
running a little harder than the Northwood. One solution for that is
to get a Zalman 7000a, as it has a thermal resistance of close
to 0.25C/W. That means at 90W thermal output, the processor casing
rises 90*0.25=22.5C hotter than the case air. If room air is
25C, and case air temp rise is 7C, for a total of 32C case air temp,
then the processor will be at about 45C. The Zalman runs at lower
RPMs than the retail fan, so while you can still hear it, it
isn't that bad.

If you cannot change your purchase, it won't be the end of the world.

Your computer case should have provisions to move a decent amount
of air. My case has a 120mm fan, and that can help as long as there
isn't a lot of cabling in the way of the air flow. If your computer
case is old and has small fans with low air flow, then your problem
will be the heating up of the case air. An AMD document states that
a 7C rise between room air and case air (motherboard) temp is a
reasonable target. When you have a high end processor, it is all too
easy to end up with double that temp rise.

So, with either processor, decent air flow is a must.

And, to make this clear, I am not worried about the processor
overheating. More of your effort should go into making a
nice environment for the disk drive, as it has a tighter
temp spec than the processor. If your PSU is working hard,
it also appreciates not getting all that hot case air to
feed on. So, purchase the Zalman, to get a _quieter_ cooling
solution, with good enough performance for 3.0GHz. If you are
stone deaf, then the retail fan would be fine. Then, improve
case cooling for the sake of your disk drive.

If disk drives could be housed in a separate enclosure, I would
recommend just ignoring the plight of your CPU :)

If you find the case air hot, and taking the side off the computer
makes the temp drop significantly, you need to find a case with
better airflow - a tower with room for two fans in the back and
front, a mid-tower with 120mm fans, etc. Or even a duct for the
CPU.

I only have a 2.8C on my P4C800-E Deluxe, and I find my room gets
warm after a while, which I don't appreciate. That is the "final
frontier", how to keep your computer room cool :) I think I've
seen that comment from Prescott owners as well - the sauna effect.

Paul

Hello Paul
Thanks for the response. Well is was to late to change my order, so I
ordered the 3.0C and am going to send the 3.0E back.
I probably could have just kept the Prescott (I have a decent case -
Addtronics) but am a little concerned about the heat. You make a VERY good
point about overall cooling.

Thank you very much
Dave

> [...]
> solution, with good enough performance for 3.0GHz. If you are
> stone deaf, then the retail fan would be fine. Then, improve
> case cooling for the sake of your disk drive.
>
> If disk drives could be housed in a separate enclosure, I would
> recommend just ignoring the plight of your CPU :)
>
> If you find the case air hot, and taking the side off the computer
> makes the temp drop significantly, you need to find a case with
> better airflow - a tower with room for two fans in the back and
> front, a mid-tower with 120mm fans, etc. Or even a duct for the
> CPU.
>
> I only have a 2.8C on my P4C800-E Deluxe, and I find my room gets
> warm after a while, which I don't appreciate. That is the "final
> frontier", how to keep your computer room cool :) I think I've
> seen that comment from Prescott owners as well - the sauna effect.

TRENDING THREADS