Ethernet for HP Laserjet4p?

Hi there,

I have recently picked up an HP LaserJet 4P printer, and I would like to use
it via ethernet. Can anybody tell me if this is possible with this printer?
It has a slot on the front left hand side which looks as if a JetDirect
would fit in, but I am unsure.

Thanks
Allan
3 answers Last reply
More about ethernet laserjet4p

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:09:59 +0100, "Allan Bruce" <allanmb@TAKEAWAYf2s.com>
    wrote:

    >I have recently picked up an HP LaserJet 4P printer, and I would like to use
    >it via ethernet. Can anybody tell me if this is possible with this printer?
    >It has a slot on the front left hand side which looks as if a JetDirect
    >would fit in, but I am unsure.

    IIRC, the LJ 4P has no EIO or MIO slot for an internal JetDirect card.
    Perhaps the slots you mentioned are for font cartridges?

    You can, however, use a JetDirect external print server (170x, 500x, etc).

    --
    Robert B. Clark (email ROT13'ed)
    Visit ClarkWehyr Enterprises On-Line at http://www.3clarks.com/ClarkWehyr/

    Allan Bruce wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have recently picked up an HP LaserJet 4P printer, and I would like to use
    > it via ethernet. Can anybody tell me if this is possible with this printer?
    > It has a slot on the front left hand side which looks as if a JetDirect
    > would fit in, but I am unsure.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Allan

    Take a look at:
    h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=130&prodSeriesId=25485&prodTypeId=18972&objectID=bpl01435

    You might be able to get a suitable card on EBay. Or you could use an
    external print server.

    "Allan Bruce" <allanmb@TAKEAWAYf2s.com> wrote in message news:<c68n84$uon$1@news.freedom2surf.net>...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have recently picked up an HP LaserJet 4P printer, and I would like to use
    > it via ethernet. Can anybody tell me if this is possible with this printer?
    > It has a slot on the front left hand side which looks as if a JetDirect
    > would fit in, but I am unsure.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Allan

    See <http://www.printerworks.com/DataSheets/laserjet4P.html>
    "MIO Slot - No
    Networkable options - (HP Jetdirect Ex print server)

    Expandability - 3 SIMM slots (for memory, language)
    - Font cartridge slot" [that's probably what you're looking at]

Printers Hewlett Packard Ethernet Card Peripherals