TomM

Distinguished
May 28, 2004

Trying to install an Alcatel 'sting-ray' USB DSL modem
under XP.
Modem was supplied about 4 years ago by BT Openworld.
After several tries I variously got the device installed
as a LAN or as a modem, sometimes with a yellow "!" in
device manager.

Currently it is shown as a modem, and the taskbar
diagnostic goes from red to yellow to green, shows packets
getting sent, but none coming back, modem gets an IP
address which I can ping. BUT - no connection to internet.

1/ Do I need to install the software differently ?
I see that there is a problem where Alcatel software does
not install on Windows XP-based computers
us;831014&Product=WinXP
Could that be the reason things don't work - several of
the installs caused the system to crash & reboot.
Unfortunately this Microsoft page just says there is a
problem - not how to get the solution. :-(

2/ Do I just need to set the modem options
BT techsupport have given me the settings to use for the
connection - but I haven't found a way to put them in...
Have run BT Openworld install CD.
Tried pointing a web browser at the modems IP address, but
no setup page

Clean install of XP on an MSI 845PE Max motherboard. XP
SP1 installed, all security patches up to date.
Have installed several versions of drivers, from original
cd, and the download at
http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/download/drivers/USB/webUpgrad
e_Windows_R3.0.1.2.zip.
To avoid problems before each reinstall I went back to a
System Restore point and deleted the files.

bar

Call BT Openworld and ask them if they have a setup disk for their service using the modem.

If they supplied the disk and the modem to you in the first instance they should know how to support it.

If they can't get you running on XP with the modem, ask them to replace it with one that is XP compatible.

Save your time, save your money: speak with the people who set up the internet access.

If the modem was supplied before XP came out, you will need to get the
latest XP compatible drivers from the Alcatel web site.

tomm wrote:

>Currently it is shown as a modem, and the taskbar
>diagnostic goes from red to yellow to green, shows packets
>getting sent, but none coming back, modem gets an IP
>address which I can ping. BUT - no connection to internet.
>
>1/ Do I need to install the software differently ?
>I see that there is a problem where Alcatel software does
>not install on Windows XP-based computers
>us;831014&Product=WinXP
>Could that be the reason things don't work - several of
>the installs caused the system to crash & reboot.
>Unfortunately this Microsoft page just says there is a
>problem - not how to get the solution. :-(

Get the latest drivers - top item at
http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/support.htm

Run the download to install them.

Should appear in Device Manager or in making a Dial Up connection as an
'ISDN' modem