2 Basic Wired-Wireless Connection Questions

I have a B-type wireless router with 4 additional ports. My typical
wireless connection is:

o Wireless Signal Strength: "Excellent"

o Network Connection Speed: 11 Mbps

o Internet Download Speed: 2,600-2,800 mbps

(1) Is there any reason to connect to my network by a CAT-5 cable, instead
of the wireless connection, when I am working in the room with the router?

(2) Is there any reason to connect to my network by both a CAT-5 cable and
the wireless connection when I am working in the room with the router?

TIA!

Steve
gfrx92y@yahoo.com

Note: Remove the "x" in my email address above to send me an email message.
4 answers Last reply
More about basic wired wireless connection questions

    A hard wired connection will be faster then any current wireless, but that
    is more for large file transfers within the network then internet speed. I
    hard wired as many computers as possible and only go wireless if I can't get
    the wires to the upper floors with out exceeding the 300 foot mark. As for
    having your computer operating both wires and wireless at the same time I
    think you may run into conflicts, I would use one or the other and not both.

    "Steve Forrestor" <gfr92y@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]

    think you may run into conflicts, I would use one or the other and not both.

    "Steve Forrestor" <gfr92y@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have a B-type wireless router with 4 additional ports. My typical
    > wireless connection is:
    >
    > o Wireless Signal Strength: "Excellent"
    >
    > o Network Connection Speed: 11 Mbps
    >
    > o Internet Download Speed: 2,600-2,800 mbps
    >
    > (1) Is there any reason to connect to my network by a CAT-5 cable, instead
    > of the wireless connection, when I am working in the room with the router?
    >
    > (2) Is there any reason to connect to my network by both a CAT-5 cable and
    > the wireless connection when I am working in the room with the router?
    >
    > TIA!
    >
    > Steve
    > gfrx92y@yahoo.com
    >
    > Note: Remove the "x" in my email address above to send me an email

    2,600-2,800 mbps! WOW! That has to be the fastest home computer
    network ever!

Wireless Connection Wireless Networking