IDE HD not always detected

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2004 6:33:29 PM

I have two SATA drives and
one (non system) IDE HD
on A7N8X-e Asus mainboard.

Quite often, the disk is no longer detected
at startup. Rebooting corrects the problem,
which I encounter mostly when the computer
comes out of WinXP hibernation. Lots of
clicking and slow XP loading.

I then have to reboot so that all my software
and stored data can be accessed.

Could it be some CPU problem. I have
a 380W Antec CPU - that I have used for months
without problems. Some voltages are a bit low,
but that has been true for as long as I can remember.

CPU 1.65 V

+3.3 V 3.25 V
+5 V 4.52 V
+12 V 11.90 V
-12 V -11.83 V
-5 V -4.48 V

I have reset the BIOS to no avail.

More about : ide detected

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2004 6:33:30 PM

"Natéag" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
> I have two SATA drives and
> one (non system) IDE HD
> on A7N8X-e Asus mainboard.
>
> Quite often, the disk is no longer detected
> at startup. Rebooting corrects the problem,
> which I encounter mostly when the computer
> comes out of WinXP hibernation. Lots of
> clicking and slow XP loading.
>
> I then have to reboot so that all my software
> and stored data can be accessed.
>
> Could it be some CPU problem. I have
> a 380W Antec CPU - that I have used for months
> without problems. Some voltages are a bit low,
> but that has been true for as long as I can remember.
>
> CPU 1.65 V
>
> +3.3 V 3.25 V
> +5 V 4.52 V
> +12 V 11.90 V
> -12 V -11.83 V
> -5 V -4.48 V
>

> I have reset the BIOS to no avail.

The 5 volt line seems low.
Since there is a greater load on the power supply when
drives are first starting the voltages may go lower than
what you show, especially if the supply is going bad.
Have you tried reducing the load on the supply by
disconnecting you CDrom drive/drives or any PCI
cards you don't need to boot. Then do what ever you
do to recreate the problem to see if that helped.

Jim M
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2004 12:10:48 AM

Natéag wrote:
> I have two SATA drives and
> one (non system) IDE HD
> on A7N8X-e Asus mainboard.
>
> Quite often, the disk is no longer detected
> at startup. Rebooting corrects the problem,
> which I encounter mostly when the computer
> comes out of WinXP hibernation. Lots of
> clicking and slow XP loading.
>
> I then have to reboot so that all my software
> and stored data can be accessed.
>
> Could it be some CPU problem. I have
> a 380W Antec CPU - that I have used for months
> without problems. Some voltages are a bit low,
> but that has been true for as long as I can remember.
>
> CPU 1.65 V
>
> +3.3 V 3.25 V
> +5 V 4.52 V

Thats 10% down. ±5% is spec, so that could easily be your problem.

> +12 V 11.90 V
> -12 V -11.83 V
> -5 V -4.48 V

Fine. -ve voltages aren't used.

> I have reset the BIOS to no avail.

Given your sagging 5V line(s) and the fact that it won't boot from a cold
start, but will from a warm (ish) start, your PSU is easily the number 1
target.

Unless of course you've been playing with the cabling or jumpers on the
drive in question.

Ben
a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2004 12:10:49 AM

I have tried a round cable, that is when the problem started,
but I have reconnected the flat cable and nothing changed.

I guess it is a voltage problem. Of course the HD may be
defective, in that it would require a higher voltage to start -
if that is possible, of course. Otherwise, I checkdisk
never finds any errors on that drive. I have reformatted
it, but it did not improve anything.

I am going to try a new CPU.

Thanks.

> Given your sagging 5V line(s) and the fact that it won't boot from a cold
> start, but will from a warm (ish) start, your PSU is easily the number 1
> target.
>
> Unless of course you've been playing with the cabling or jumpers on the
> drive in question.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2004 2:35:15 AM

Natéag wrote:
> I have tried a round cable, that is when the problem started,
> but I have reconnected the flat cable and nothing changed.
>
> I guess it is a voltage problem.

Yeah, most likely.

> Of course the HD may be
> defective, in that it would require a higher voltage to start -
> if that is possible, of course.

The HD will require something like 5V ±5%, and however much current. (As
well as 12V, most likely) When it draws that current (which is much higher
at startup than idle) the voltage line is likely so sag even further.

> Otherwise, I checkdisk
> never finds any errors on that drive. I have reformatted
> it, but it did not improve anything.

It was pretty unlikely to. It's not the hard drive thats at fault, it's the
PSU. I would say that with a likelihood of around 5% your drive has a
problem, and you've already told us that your PSU DOES have a problem, so...

> I am going to try a new CPU.

Try a new CPU by all means but it won't change anything unless it
significantly reduces the load on the PSU.

Why don't you just put in a PSU that runs inside of spec and see if that
helps?

Ben
a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2004 4:59:51 AM

"Natéag" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
news:o hWLc.27224$gG4.198009@wagner.videotron.net...

> I have tried a round cable, that is when the problem started,
> but I have reconnected the flat cable and nothing changed.
>
> I guess it is a voltage problem. Of course the HD may be
> defective, in that it would require a higher voltage to start -
> if that is possible, of course. Otherwise, I checkdisk
> never finds any errors on that drive. I have reformatted
> it, but it did not improve anything.
>
> I am going to try a new CPU.
>
> Thanks.

You're wasting time and money if you think the CPU is at fault.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2004 4:59:52 AM

I do not think so. The voltages seem very low.

"Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> a écrit dans le message de

> "Natéag" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
> news:o hWLc.27224$gG4.198009@wagner.videotron.net...
> >
> > I have tried a round cable, that is when the problem started,
> > but I have reconnected the flat cable and nothing changed.
> >
> > I guess it is a voltage problem. Of course the HD may be
> > defective, in that it would require a higher voltage to start -
> > if that is possible, of course. Otherwise, I checkdisk
> > never finds any errors on that drive. I have reformatted
> > it, but it did not improve anything.
> >
> > I am going to try a new CPU.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> You're wasting time and money if you think the CPU is at fault.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2004 4:59:53 AM

A new CPU isn't going to help with your low voltage problem.
As Ben and others said the most likely fix is a new / better power supply.
Each item you remove reduces the load on the supply and
therefore may fix a problem but the underlying cause is
the supply.

Jim M

> I do not think so. The voltages seem very low.
>
> "Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> a écrit dans le message de
> >
> > "Natéag" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
> > news:o hWLc.27224$gG4.198009@wagner.videotron.net...
> > >
> > > I have tried a round cable, that is when the problem started,
> > > but I have reconnected the flat cable and nothing changed.
> > >
> > > I guess it is a voltage problem. Of course the HD may be
> > > defective, in that it would require a higher voltage to start -
> > > if that is possible, of course. Otherwise, I checkdisk
> > > never finds any errors on that drive. I have reformatted
> > > it, but it did not improve anything.
> > >
> > > I am going to try a new CPU.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > You're wasting time and money if you think the CPU is at fault.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2004 5:01:03 AM

OK. I mistook CPU for Power Supply (PSU)

My error. I do not often use those abbreviations
in english - a foreign language for me.

"JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
> A new CPU isn't going to help with your low voltage problem.
> As Ben and others said the most likely fix is a new / better power supply.
> Each item you remove reduces the load on the supply and
> therefore may fix a problem but the underlying cause is
> the supply.
>
> Jim M
>
> "Natéag" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
> > I do not think so. The voltages seem very low.
> >
> > "Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> a écrit dans le message de
> > >
> > > "Natéag" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
> > > news:o hWLc.27224$gG4.198009@wagner.videotron.net...

> > > You're wasting time and money if you think the CPU is at fault.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2004 5:01:04 AM

> OK. I mistook CPU for Power Supply (PSU)
>
> My error. I do not often use those abbreviations
> in english - a foreign language for me.

I understand :)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2004 7:42:55 AM

The CPU has nothing to do with the voltages. That is the power supplies job.
The CPU is probably the last thing that will cause problems in any computer,
it's the most reliable component in a computer.

"Natéag" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
> I do not think so. The voltages seem very low.
>
> "Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> a écrit dans le message de
> >
> > "Natéag" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
> > news:o hWLc.27224$gG4.198009@wagner.videotron.net...
> > >
> > > I have tried a round cable, that is when the problem started,
> > > but I have reconnected the flat cable and nothing changed.
> > >
> > > I guess it is a voltage problem. Of course the HD may be
> > > defective, in that it would require a higher voltage to start -
> > > if that is possible, of course. Otherwise, I checkdisk
> > > never finds any errors on that drive. I have reformatted
> > > it, but it did not improve anything.
> > >
> > > I am going to try a new CPU.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > You're wasting time and money if you think the CPU is at fault.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2004 12:54:37 PM

Natéag wrote:
> OK. I mistook CPU for Power Supply (PSU)
>
> My error. I do not often use those abbreviations
> in english - a foreign language for me.

Ahh, THAT makes sense.

:-)

Ben
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2004 3:12:08 AM

I replaced the PSU and now get 4.99 to 5.02 volts
with a new Antec, same type.
So everything is fine.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2004 10:56:24 PM

Ooops,
the 9.7 Amps is the total amount of the inrush currents I have with three
IDE disks (Two Maxtor DiamondPlus60 with 2950 mA peak, One Diamond Max plus8
with 1380 mAmps peak and other usual stuff).

I've also 4 SCSI disks but not considered in this budget. Their spinup is
delayed through the SCSI BIOS (more or less 10 Amps as well).

When My PSU failed, I temporarily used a small 300W PSU from another
computer. I noticed what I described in the previous mail.
During intense seeking/writing, the ripple raised up to 0.7 Vpp.

All disks aren't equal, the Maxtors appear to rather greedy.

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> a écrit dans le message news:
nospam-2407040256200001@192.168.1.177...
> In article <cdrkgi$d0v$1@news-reader2.wanadoo.fr>, "Aldo Larrabiata"
> <zzz@zorglub.net> wrote:
>
> > You also may have a rather normal voltage (measured with a multimeter)
and a
> > high ripple on the +5 and/or +12V line when the disk is starting (its
inrush
> > current may be as great as 10 Amps) or running and the heads moving.

[...]

!