hp cd writer disapears windows xp

I am totally confused! I have windows xp just installed on my pentII
350. I have hp cdwriter 9100 and power dvd, they worked fine untill I
installed xp, now whenever I try to access the cdwriter drive (even
just to read) both drives disapear from device manager. I reboot and
if I'm lucky they'll be back. But don't try to use them because they
will disapear again. I have NO cd software installed. I have deleted
everything that could be a conflict...but it still doesn't work. I can
get them up and running for a few minutes and partially intall a cd,
but in the middle of the install both drives will disapear and the
computer will freeze. I've tried microsoft,and hp support...still
can't find the conflict.
Thank you in advance....Brenda

Brenda Walker wrote:
> I am totally confused! I have windows xp just installed on my pentII
> 350. I have hp cdwriter 9100 and power dvd, they worked fine untill I
> installed xp, now whenever I try to access the cdwriter drive (even
> just to read) both drives disapear from device manager. I reboot and
> if I'm lucky they'll be back. But don't try to use them because they
> will disapear again. I have NO cd software installed. I have deleted
> everything that could be a conflict...but it still doesn't work. I can
> get them up and running for a few minutes and partially intall a cd,
> but in the middle of the install both drives will disapear and the
> computer will freeze. I've tried microsoft,and hp support...still
> can't find the conflict.
> Thank you in advance....Brenda

Do NOT be afraid of the registry hack here.
It is SAFE and has helped MANY people.
Respect the registry, don't fear it.

1) Log on with Administrative Privileges

2) Open the Registry Editor:
a) Go to Start then select Run.
b) Type regedit and click OK.

3) Backup you registry by:
a) Highlight My Computer by clicking on it once.
b) Click File (Windows XP) or Registry (Windows 2000), then Export
Registry File.
c) Select export range All; to ensure your entire registry is backed up
completely.
d) Select where you would like to save this backup, name the File, and
Click on the SAVE button.

4) Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values:
a) Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
b) Highlight this key by left clicking on it once.
c) On the right hand side delete the values Upperfilters and Lowerfilters.

5) Restart your computer.

Or try this:

http://www.dougknox.com/

Select 'Windows Utilities' and scroll down to 'Restore CD/DVD drives to
Windows Explorer.'
Perhaps his utility will do the trick. =)

--
<- Shenan ->

Shenan
I have had a similar problem but cannot find filter entries at the location you specify, am I being dumb or is this disguised somehow.
Mark

Thank you! I already tried the registry fix and it didn't work, but
the second option worked long enough for me to download my tax
program...then after that the drives disappeared again. I can't seem
to figure it out. But thanks for the "temporary fix".
Brenda