Asus K8V SE cannot find SATA Drive

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
July 23, 2004 12:31:07 AM

Upgraded the aging Alienware with new Asus K8V SE board. Treated myself to
two Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 200 gig Serial ATA drives. After getting the new
power supply... oops did not have the +12v cpu power on the old one, I can
boot back into the old drives, but cannot get anything to recognize the SATA
drive(s).
I have DVD and DVD RW on primary IDE. Old HHD's on secondary IDE (was going
to get everything off and then take them out and run strictly SATA) and one
SATA on the SATA1 connector. (Not the primary or secondary raid connectors.)

I installed the 4 in 1 drivers, USB works, mouse, scanner, the giganet
connection hooks me up to internet, device manager sees drive, and says it
is working. (But calls it SCSI, is that correct?)

But cannot figure out how see it to format it so I can use it! My guess is
BIOS but what and how do I set it?

Kaz
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2004 12:48:32 AM

"Kaz" <kasdorf1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Upgraded the aging Alienware with new Asus K8V SE board. Treated myself to
> two Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 200 gig Serial ATA drives. After getting the
new
> power supply... oops did not have the +12v cpu power on the old one, I can
> boot back into the old drives, but cannot get anything to recognize the
SATA
> drive(s).
> I have DVD and DVD RW on primary IDE. Old HHD's on secondary IDE (was
going
> to get everything off and then take them out and run strictly SATA) and
one
> SATA on the SATA1 connector. (Not the primary or secondary raid
connectors.)

> I installed the 4 in 1 drivers, USB works, mouse, scanner, the giganet
> connection hooks me up to internet, device manager sees drive, and says it
> is working. (But calls it SCSI, is that correct?)
>
> But cannot figure out how see it to format it so I can use it! My guess is
> BIOS but what and how do I set it?
>
> Kaz

Right click my computer, click manage, click disk management

Jim M
July 23, 2004 3:47:31 AM

Jim,
Thanks, did that, formatted disk can copy to and from it, but only if I boot
from ATA drive.
So I know everything seems to be in some sort of working order, just cannot
get windows to recognize it when I do an install.

I tried staying in Windows, running the install again using "specify which
drive and partition to install to". Gets to end and fails to find a disk. I
used F6 to install drivers and used the WinXP SATA xxxx drivers from a
floppy I created from the Asus CD. Do I need other drivers also?

Thanks,
Kaz

"JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Kaz" <kasdorf1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Upgraded the aging Alienware with new Asus K8V SE board. Treated myself
> > two Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 200 gig Serial ATA drives. After getting the
> new
> > power supply... oops did not have the +12v cpu power on the old one, I
can
> > boot back into the old drives, but cannot get anything to recognize the
> SATA
> > drive(s).
> > I have DVD and DVD RW on primary IDE. Old HHD's on secondary IDE (was
> going
> > to get everything off and then take them out and run strictly SATA) and
> one
> > SATA on the SATA1 connector. (Not the primary or secondary raid
> connectors.)
> >
> > I installed the 4 in 1 drivers, USB works, mouse, scanner, the giganet
> > connection hooks me up to internet, device manager sees drive, and says
it
> > is working. (But calls it SCSI, is that correct?)
> >
> > But cannot figure out how see it to format it so I can use it! My guess
is
> > BIOS but what and how do I set it?
> >
> > Kaz
> >

> Right click my computer, click manage, click disk management
>
> Jim M

a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2004 3:57:43 AM

Are you using promise drivers because it sound like your drives are attached
to the VIA raid connectors. If sounds like your floppy has drivers for the
Promise
controller in non raid mode. If your on the promise connectors the drives
will have raid in the name or SATA if your not using raid.
You set the promise controller for raid or non raid in the bios under
onboard devices configuration. You can also enable/disable SATA bootrom
which controlls the Via SATA RAID.
One other possibility bad drivers disk. Did you run makedisk.exe to make
your floppy or did you copy files to the floppy?

Jim M

> Jim,
> Thanks, did that, formatted disk can copy to and from it, but only if I
boot
> from ATA drive.
> So I know everything seems to be in some sort of working order, just
cannot
> get windows to recognize it when I do an install.
>
> I tried staying in Windows, running the install again using "specify which
> drive and partition to install to". Gets to end and fails to find a disk.
> used F6 to install drivers and used the WinXP SATA xxxx drivers from a
> floppy I created from the Asus CD. Do I need other drivers also?
>
> Thanks,
> Kaz
>
> "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Kaz" <kasdorf1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > Upgraded the aging Alienware with new Asus K8V SE board. Treated
myself
> > > two Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 200 gig Serial ATA drives. After getting
the
> > new
> > > power supply... oops did not have the +12v cpu power on the old one, I
> can
> > > boot back into the old drives, but cannot get anything to recognize
the
> > SATA
> > > drive(s).
> > > I have DVD and DVD RW on primary IDE. Old HHD's on secondary IDE (was
> > going
> > > to get everything off and then take them out and run strictly SATA)
and
> > one
> > > SATA on the SATA1 connector. (Not the primary or secondary raid
> > connectors.)
> > >
> > > I installed the 4 in 1 drivers, USB works, mouse, scanner, the giganet
> > > connection hooks me up to internet, device manager sees drive, and
says
> it
> > > is working. (But calls it SCSI, is that correct?)
> > >
> > > But cannot figure out how see it to format it so I can use it! My
guess
> is
> > > BIOS but what and how do I set it?
> > >
> > > Kaz
> > >

> > Right click my computer, click manage, click disk management
> >
> > Jim M

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2004 9:42:08 AM

You ran the makedisk.exe utility to create the driver disk for you, right?
There's actually 2 of them, one for VIA and the other one for Promise. You
could try creating one of each, and load both of them during install.

Erwin

"Kaz" <kasdorf1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Jim,
> Thanks, did that, formatted disk can copy to and from it, but only if I
boot
> from ATA drive.
> So I know everything seems to be in some sort of working order, just
cannot
> get windows to recognize it when I do an install.
>
> I tried staying in Windows, running the install again using "specify which
> drive and partition to install to". Gets to end and fails to find a disk.
> used F6 to install drivers and used the WinXP SATA xxxx drivers from a
> floppy I created from the Asus CD. Do I need other drivers also?
>
> Thanks,
> Kaz
>
> "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Kaz" <kasdorf1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > Upgraded the aging Alienware with new Asus K8V SE board. Treated
myself
> > > two Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 200 gig Serial ATA drives. After getting
the
> > new
> > > power supply... oops did not have the +12v cpu power on the old one, I
> can
> > > boot back into the old drives, but cannot get anything to recognize
the
> > SATA
> > > drive(s).
> > > I have DVD and DVD RW on primary IDE. Old HHD's on secondary IDE (was
> > going
> > > to get everything off and then take them out and run strictly SATA)
and
> > one
> > > SATA on the SATA1 connector. (Not the primary or secondary raid
> > connectors.)
> > >
> > > I installed the 4 in 1 drivers, USB works, mouse, scanner, the giganet
> > > connection hooks me up to internet, device manager sees drive, and
says
> it
> > > is working. (But calls it SCSI, is that correct?)
> > >
> > > But cannot figure out how see it to format it so I can use it! My
guess
> is
> > > BIOS but what and how do I set it?
> > >
> > > Kaz
> > >

> > Right click my computer, click manage, click disk management
> >
> > Jim M

July 23, 2004 10:50:51 AM

All,

Lets see if I can answer all these.

1. Ran makedisk but only for one set of drivers. Need to check to see which.
2. I am not use blue Promise Raid connector.
3. I am only using one SATA drive connected to SATA 1 connector, not the
SATA Pri or Sec connectors.
4. I do not want any raid array for now. So set Bios Promise Raid to
disable.
5. In Bios I have tried bootrom both on and off. I believe on gives me an
error message about no drive connected, while disabled does not.
6. In Device Manager is the drive supposed to show up as SCSI?
7. Also the drivers for the actual drive seem to be old MS ones?

For a non raid setup which way should bios be?
For a non raid setup which drivers do I need to load during windows install?

Still plugging away, thanks for the suggestions.

George

> Are you using promise drivers because it sound like your drives are
attached
> to the VIA raid connectors. If sounds like your floppy has drivers for
the
> Promise
> controller in non raid mode. If your on the promise connectors the drives
> will have raid in the name or SATA if your not using raid.
> You set the promise controller for raid or non raid in the bios under
> onboard devices configuration. You can also enable/disable SATA bootrom
> which controlls the Via SATA RAID.
> One other possibility bad drivers disk. Did you run makedisk.exe to make
> your floppy or did you copy files to the floppy?
>
> Jim M
>
> "Kaz" <kasdorf1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Jim,
> > Thanks, did that, formatted disk can copy to and from it, but only if I
> boot
> > from ATA drive.
> > So I know everything seems to be in some sort of working order, just
> cannot
> > get windows to recognize it when I do an install.
> >
> > I tried staying in Windows, running the install again using "specify
which
> > drive and partition to install to". Gets to end and fails to find a
disk.
> > used F6 to install drivers and used the WinXP SATA xxxx drivers from a
> > floppy I created from the Asus CD. Do I need other drivers also?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Kaz
> >
> > "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Kaz" <kasdorf1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> myself
> the
> > > new
> > can
> the
> > > SATA
> > > going
> and
> > > one
> > > connectors.)

> says
> > it

> guess
> > is

> > > Right click my computer, click manage, click disk management
> > >
> > > Jim M

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2004 1:04:25 PM

Your drive is on the Via controller which only supports raid which is why
you get the
error of "no drive connected" when its enabled. The Promise connectors are
the
sec sata, pri sata and the blue pri raid connectors. move your drive to one
of those
and it will work.

Jim M

"Kaz" <kasdorf1@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p P2dnUyvHfQNcJ3cRVn-pQ@comcast.com...
> [...]
> > your floppy or did you copy files to the floppy?
> >
> > Jim M
> >
> > "Kaz" <kasdorf1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > Jim,
> > > Thanks, did that, formatted disk can copy to and from it, but only if
> > boot
> > > from ATA drive.
> > > So I know everything seems to be in some sort of working order, just
> > cannot
> > > get windows to recognize it when I do an install.
> > >
> > > I tried staying in Windows, running the install again using "specify
> which
> > > drive and partition to install to". Gets to end and fails to find a
> disk.
> > > used F6 to install drivers and used the WinXP SATA xxxx drivers from a
> > > floppy I created from the Asus CD. Do I need other drivers also?

July 28, 2004 2:55:45 AM

Thanks all for suggestions.
Working now.
1. Use SATA1 and SATA 2 connectors.
2. Use VIA drivers on floppy when installing Windows, NOT Promise - unless
you want to use the Promise connectors....
Simple, but if you don't have the right combination, it just don't work.

Kaz

!