Maximum memory allowed for Windows XP

Jim

I recently purchased an Asus motherboard that is supposed
to allow up to 4 GB of ram. However, I was told by a
memory chip manufacturer (Crucial), that Windows XP
applications cannot utilize any amount of memory over 2
GB. Does anyone have an answer for this? I have never
heard that going over 2GB in RAM would not work. Thank
you!

XP will support 4gb of RAM, whether Home or Pro.
www.coribright.com

Cari (MS MVP) wrote:
> XP will support 4gb of RAM, whether Home or Pro.

Cari is right. XP supports 4GB RAM.
The amount of RAM XP can utilize is 4GB. Whether you will ever use that
much is what the true question in your mind should be.

What graphical editing do you do?
Do you work on large database projects?

--
<- Shenan ->

JIM wrote:

> I recently purchased an Asus motherboard that is supposed
> to allow up to 4 GB of ram. However, I was told by a
> memory chip manufacturer (Crucial), that Windows XP
> applications cannot utilize any amount of memory over 2
> GB. Does anyone have an answer for this? I have never
> heard that going over 2GB in RAM would not work. Thank
> you!

I *think* that the standard split under XP is 2GB for the
application and 2GB for the OS, which would mean that the
memory guy you talked to is kinda correct. You can insert
a /3GB switch into boot.ini if you use an application that
is capable of using more than 2GB.

{I wish I were equipped to investigate this problem for you.
Would you like to fund my purchase of a 4GB XP PRO PC?
And a couple of apps that can use tons of memory?}
--
Cheers, Bob

JIM wrote:

>I recently purchased an Asus motherboard that is supposed
>to allow up to 4 GB of ram. However, I was told by a
>memory chip manufacturer (Crucial), that Windows XP
>applications cannot utilize any amount of memory over 2
>GB. Does anyone have an answer for this? I have never
>heard that going over 2GB in RAM would not work.

Normally there is a split in how the memory is allotted between system
and applications that restricts an application to a maximum of 2GB. You
can modify that on machines over 3GB by adding a switch /3GB to the line
in boot.ini (after /fastdetect). Check out this article before using the
/3GB switch

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328269

TRENDING THREADS