P4S333-VM and High Density Memory

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm seriously considering upgrading the memory on my P4S333-VM board, but
I'm very confused by "high density" vs. "low density." I've searched the
manual and dozens of web sites, including the Asus site, but I haven't come
to a satisfactory conclusion yet. I currently have two 256 MB sticks that
I believe are low density (low density = chips on both side of the stick?).

Does anyone know for sure if the P4S333-VM supports high density PC2100
DDR?

Thanks,

James

Paul

Splendid

In article <Xns952FE572FA13DLookpostforemailcom@24.25.9.41>, James
<Look@postforemail.com> wrote:

> I'm seriously considering upgrading the memory on my P4S333-VM board, but
> I'm very confused by "high density" vs. "low density." I've searched the
> manual and dozens of web sites, including the Asus site, but I haven't come
> to a satisfactory conclusion yet. I currently have two 256 MB sticks that
> I believe are low density (low density = chips on both side of the stick?).
>
> Does anyone know for sure if the P4S333-VM supports high density PC2100
> DDR?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=ASUS%2B+Motherboards&mfr=ASUS&cat=RAM&model=P4S333-VM&submit=Go

With the ability to use 1GB modules, I would say the only limit, might
be the used of "stacked" ram. So, I would be careful buying 1GB generic
modules, but would feel safe buying the ones listed on the Crucial site.

Considering modules up to 1GB are supported, that suggests there
isn't a limit on multiplexed address bits, so what we refer to as
a "density" problem here, isn't a problem with your board. The
term "density" here, is used for 440BX (P2B) boards that can only use
128MB of a 256MB DIMM, because the row*column dimensions are not
"square", but one dimension is longer than the other, and there
aren't enough address bits to handle the longer dimension.

So, just be careful not to buy "stacked" ram. A lot of "web only"
retailers sell stacked ram for 1GB modules, and that would be a
dangerous sized module to try to buy cheaply.

The reason "stacked" ram doesn't work on a desktop board, is it
has twice the electrical loading of an ordinary DIMM, which crushes
the output drive of the Northbridge (slows down the signals).

(There isn't any info here to make the selection process any easier...)
http://www.sis.com/products/chipsets/integrated/pentium4/650.htm

That is all the info I could find.

HTH,
Paul