primary hard drive disabled after hardware change

Hello All,

I was having trouble with a power suppy on my winxp pro machine, so I
upgraded it. On the first boot up I recieved a message that the system had
recovered fron a serious error. I totally ignored the message, thinking it
was due to the hardware change, well on reboot my primary drive was not
found and is listed as "disabled" in the bios.

Is this a feature of xp pro? Is there a way to "enable" the harddrive?

I dont think it is connection problem, because I got the one bootup.

Any help would be well recieved.

Thanks,
Rich M

Chech all the drives are securely connected to the power supply and that you
didn't dislodge the ribbon cable during the install of the new PSU.
www.coribright.com

"rdm" <rmorriss_110@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> I was having trouble with a power suppy on my winxp pro machine, so I
> upgraded it. On the first boot up I recieved a message that the system had
> recovered fron a serious error. I totally ignored the message, thinking it
> was due to the hardware change, well on reboot my primary drive was not
> found and is listed as "disabled" in the bios.
>
> Is this a feature of xp pro? Is there a way to "enable" the harddrive?
>
> I dont think it is connection problem, because I got the one bootup.
>
> Any help would be well recieved.
>
> Thanks,
> Rich M

peter

Hi,

No, change of ATX power supply would not be considered as a hardware change in XP OS.
I would suggest you to recheck all the connections of the internal devices, IDE cables and power cables to ensure all devices are properly seated and connected, especially the Hdd, a losen power contact may cause permanent damages to the Hdd. Also check the AC power cord to ensure it is firmly connected to the power socket.
When restart the PC, boot into BIOS and load setup default, change the BIOS settings if necessary then save and exit BIOS setup.
If it cannot continue to load windows, the HDD may be damaged. Download a utility tool from the Hdd's manufacturer's website and perform a diagnostic test on the Hdd.

Peter

----- rdm wrote: -----

Hello All,

I was having trouble with a power suppy on my winxp pro machine, so I
upgraded it. On the first boot up I recieved a message that the system had
recovered fron a serious error. I totally ignored the message, thinking it
was due to the hardware change, well on reboot my primary drive was not
found and is listed as "disabled" in the bios.

Is this a feature of xp pro? Is there a way to "enable" the harddrive?

I dont think it is connection problem, because I got the one bootup.

Any help would be well recieved.

Thanks,
Rich M

Thanks for the info, rechecked the connections, but had to reload defaults
in bios to reboot.
Thanks for the quick response, you were both a big help

Rich