Windows 7 rubbish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard0656

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I was stupid enough to purchase a family pack of Windows 7 Home Premium and installed on my Compaq Notebook and my Sony Vaio Desktop.

It turned them both into bricks. It is the worst operating system I have ever encountered. Vista was much better in my opinion. I am now trying to re-install Vista on both computers.

Has anyone else had this misfortune

BTW. I have now bought an iMac

Care to elaborate? The only thing you were stupid enough to do was come here and bash Windows 7 without saying why it is giving you troubles. Instead of asking for help, you gave up after a few minutes (ironically, like so many Vista users did when it came out) and wrote it off as a piece of crap. How about telling us how 7 "bricked" your Compaq and Sony systems and perhaps we can help you figure out why and how to fix it.

I would think after turning 1st one into a brick, you would have stopped. Did you do an upgrade or clean install ? Upgrading from one OS to another is generally a bad idea....most here will recommend clean installs on a freshly formatted drive.

There's been plenty of warnings about the Win7 upgrade process as there have been with every MS OS ....early adopters bear the brunt of this as they essentially serve as unpaid testers. You might think of it as by the time SP1 is released, the success rate goes from 90 to 95 % ... SP2 takes you to 98 % and SP3 takes you to 99% ...that's when business IT guys buy in .

IT Mantra - It's still a beta until SP3. And Windows 7 is essentially Vista SP3 so maybe it will fare better.

Your logic is sound, but your timing is a bit off. The IT Mantra is it's in beta until SP1, then deployments pick up. Also, Most large corporations do not perform in-place upgrades when rolling out new versions of Windows to their employees. They build completely fresh images, but often times the RTM build is still a bit buggy so they hold off until the release of SP1.

The company I work for did this with Vista (deployed starting after the release of SP1, but didn't touch it before), whereas with Windows 7, they are already building an image and pursuing an aggressive deployment campaign.

kfitzenreiter

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Personally, I don't believe he installed it properly. I'm not an expert, but in less than a few hours I've got windows 7 working on an AM2 Sempron with 2 gigs of single channel RAM and no graphics card (geforce 6100 I think), a socket 775 pentium 4 sans graphics card and only 1 gig of ram, and for the kicker on an ancient pc I have which is a SOCKET A with an Athlon xp @1.8 ghz and an old AGP 8x graphics card. I think that one has 1 gig of ram soaking wet. All of the machines installed the first time, and that is with windows 7 configuring a dual boot with XP which lives on different partitions.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
My install when perfectly. on my desktop and it only took like 20 to install win 7 and there wasn't any missing driver :) but then it took like another 2 hours to install of my my software and customizing it.

and the same thing with my laptop.

I think you just did something wrong with your install

Has anyone else had this misfortune

Not exactly, but best of luck with future endeavors.

balloon-colorado-4_1503163c.jpg

daship

Distinguished
Stupid MAC fan, jealous because Win 7 is better then Snow leopard. Im running windows 7 ultimate 64 and snow leopard on my PC and 7 is faster and all around better feel.

Not to mention I have tons more software for Windows then I do for Mac. The only reason I use Mac is because its all my sons school has and he need to have it for school stuff.

Hmm. Sounds like a typical Mac user to me. Install OS on one computer and it bricks it (yeah - like that happens!), so let's try it on another one just to be sure. Anyone that stupid deserves to pay over the odds for a Mac. If you'd care to send me the bricked laptops I'll dispose of them for you.

Jeanv

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I think this guy is an idiot, I have started deployment of windows 7 enterprise to 650 desktops and have yet to encounter a single problem. All users use offline folder redirection, so every morning 50 workstations boot from the network and get the new OS. We had workshops with the users training them in the basics and showing them the differences.

Theya re all happy thus far, and their computers are performing better and more stable.

As for " I have bought a MAC now" you probably never had a PC to start off with, poser.

FYI, I have a 17" powerbook, but use a Compaq 8710w notebook to do my CAD design as it outperforms the MAC in all benchmarks, and it is a lesser spec. Mac is not what it used to be, I know a lot of designers and they all won MAC notebooks, but when it comes to raw power, they have these little "nuclear" Intel workstations underneath their desks doing rendering, as the power macs are simply too expensive.

Anyone who spends years not upgrading and or backing up data, who looses data when upgrading or migrating to a newer OS, should be shot !!!

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

That is so cool how you can do that over a network!

macdoodle

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Stop the Hate :bounce: , the World (of PC's) would be much better off. I have been using BOTH for 15 years since W95 and Mac OS8 side by side!

If you ask me an opinion, I'VE GOT NONE. This is 2010 almost, people still not realized the different between the two machines. Man where's the love????

thatguy011071

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
If PC's are "rubbish" why do they have 90% of the market share? I like Mac's. I don't like the people use them telling me that what I use is garbage. I have never done that on a Mac forum and never would. Just shows you the type of people that use them. Both PC's and Mac's serve a purpose and I can respect that.

alexj022

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Use them as anchor if you have boat.

G

Hi
The guy runing win95 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: was right.For me win98(second edition) was topsI had dreamweaver,photoshop,maya,and hundreds of cds with graphics ,sounds etc
but now we just talk operating systems ...Windows 7 does what the last five updates did .......just make it big and dumb !!! Try open suse with wine !!!!! :bounce: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello:

G

All,

Disapointment is how I would best describe my experience of Windows 7. All of the above you are concerned with the ability of people to articulate their issues - Three days ago, I bought a brand new laptop. Up until now I have not been able to use it.

The laptop is for my dad who simply wants e-mail running off of a dial up connection. He does not want broadband.

I currently have a Macbook pro and a desktop pc running XP, so I have both, and am happy using both.

Here are my issues:
- I open the box, turn it on go through the motions, very happy. my three yr old son is running around, I shut the lid. When I open it again the screen is black.
- I hard reset it, look on a few forums find out that I have to run several updates before it will become stable again, but I'm on dial up. So I have to take the laptop to my house.
- I download the updates, it seems to have fixed it. So I start working out where express or outlook is. It is not. So I have to download Windows live. The mail program does not come pre-installed. So download and install.
- I shut the lid on Monday night.
- Today is has crashed when I opened the lid.
- I then attempt to turn it on - Adobe needs updating, then it shuts down and restarts.
- It restarts, and I have to update Windows again with messges popping up from the bottom right again!
- I go to open IE, it takes ages to load. Whilst I am waiting I try to use the trackpad, no consistency of gesture recognition, but I'll let that one go, it took me a while to get used to the mac pad.

All in. It is three days in, and I am using a laptop that I have Zero trust, or desire to use, and my dad will not see his new laptop for a week.

People, get off your seemingly high horses in a mac / pc war - it should work out of the box, it should have the basics pre-installed, and people such as my dad should be able to use it.

Disapointed,
Howard.

All,

Disapointment is how I would best describe my experience of Windows 7. All of the above you are concerned with the ability of people to articulate their issues - Three days ago, I bought a brand new laptop. Up until now I have not been able to use it.

The laptop is for my dad who simply wants e-mail running off of a dial up connection. He does not want broadband.

I currently have a Macbook pro and a desktop pc running XP, so I have both, and am happy using both.

Here are my issues:
- I open the box, turn it on go through the motions, very happy. my three yr old son is running around, I shut the lid. When I open it again the screen is black.
- I hard reset it, look on a few forums find out that I have to run several updates before it will become stable again, but I'm on dial up. So I have to take the laptop to my house.
- I download the updates, it seems to have fixed it. So I start working out where express or outlook is. It is not. So I have to download Windows live. The mail program does not come pre-installed. So download and install.
- I shut the lid on Monday night.
- Today is has crashed when I opened the lid.
- I then attempt to turn it on - Adobe needs updating, then it shuts down and restarts.
- It restarts, and I have to update Windows again with messges popping up from the bottom right again!
- I go to open IE, it takes ages to load. Whilst I am waiting I try to use the trackpad, no consistency of gesture recognition, but I'll let that one go, it took me a while to get used to the mac pad.

All in. It is three days in, and I am using a laptop that I have Zero trust, or desire to use, and my dad will not see his new laptop for a week.

People, get off your seemingly high horses in a mac / pc war - it should work out of the box, it should have the basics pre-installed, and people such as my dad should be able to use it.

Disapointed,
Howard.

To sum up your first nOOb post, I'm not sure you should be condemned for your stupidity or simply marvel at your ability to form words.

Status
Not open for further replies.