Running a small Windows 98 program on a pocketpc

June 14, 2004 12:15:33 AM

Hi;

I've looked all over Google, but I can't find the answer to this - probably
because no-one ever thought enyone would be dense enough to ask it!

I don't have a pocketpc - I have a problem. My problem is that I need to run
a small payroll program every week; but I'm not always going to be around to
do it. I might take a holiday, for example!

I don't want to have to lug my laptop around the world with me, so I'm
thinking of getting a pocketpc. Is there any way, short of spending the dosh
and trying it, of finding out if my program will run on pocketpc?

And, not entirely as an aside, can a pocketpc "print" acrobat files if I
install the relevant program?

Many thanks in advance;

Tim
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 2:13:41 AM

> I don't want to have to lug my laptop around the world with me, so I'm
> thinking of getting a pocketpc. Is there any way, short of spending the
dosh
> and trying it, of finding out if my program will run on pocketpc?

No. Pocket PC can not run 32-bit Windows applications. But you can use
terminal services client to remotly connect through internet to your
computer standing and the other end of the world and run this app right
there. Terminal Services is just like virtual desktop so you can take
control of 32-bit Windows applications.

> And, not entirely as an aside, can a pocketpc "print" acrobat files if I
> install the relevant program?

Well Pocket PC version of Adobe Acrobat Reader can not print files. But I
think that when you convert them to Repligo format you will be then able to
print them with pocket pc's repligo and hp mobile printing app.

--

..: Jakub Kañczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl

It's a 16-bit application, not 32-bit - does that make any difference?

And while I have no idea what "Repligo" is, what I'm trying to achieve is
print-to-file whereby, having run the program, I can then view or e-mail the
results. When I leave my desk for a week, I don't leave the PC switched on
and connected to the internet.

Tim

> No. Pocket PC can not run 32-bit Windows applications. But you can use
> terminal services client to remotly connect through internet to your
> computer standing and the other end of the world and run this app right
> there. Terminal Services is just like virtual desktop so you can take
> control of 32-bit Windows applications.
>
> > And, not entirely as an aside, can a pocketpc "print" acrobat files if I
> > install the relevant program?
>
> Well Pocket PC version of Adobe Acrobat Reader can not print files. But I
> think that when you convert them to Repligo format you will be then able
> print them with pocket pc's repligo and hp mobile printing app.
>
> --
>
> .: Jakub Kañczugowski
> .: www.PDAclub.pl

June 14, 2004 1:59:31 PM

> It's a 16-bit application, not 32-bit - does that make any difference?

Nope. Windows CE (Pocket PC) is completly different operating system. It can
not run pc Windows apps.

> And while I have no idea what "Repligo" is, what I'm trying to achieve is
> print-to-file whereby, having run the program, I can then view or e-mail
the
> results. When I leave my desk for a week, I don't leave the PC switched on
> and connected to the internet.

Then you won't be able to acomplish this. Other option is to buy not a
pocket pc but a tablet pc running Windows XP. Or even some other mini pc
like Flipstart, Oqo, Sony u50 (only this one is available now).
http://www.handtops.com/

--

..: Jakub Kañczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 20:15:33 +0200, "Pikey"
<pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi;
>
>I've looked all over Google, but I can't find the answer to this - probably
>because no-one ever thought enyone would be dense enough to ask it!
>
>I don't have a pocketpc - I have a problem. My problem is that I need to run
>a small payroll program every week; but I'm not always going to be around to
>do it. I might take a holiday, for example!
>
>I don't want to have to lug my laptop around the world with me, so I'm
>thinking of getting a pocketpc. Is there any way, short of spending the dosh
>and trying it, of finding out if my program will run on pocketpc?
>
>And, not entirely as an aside, can a pocketpc "print" acrobat files if I
>install the relevant program?
>
>Many thanks in advance;
>

>Tim

Not too sure if this will help you: it looks pretty basic, but might
be of some use.
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 12:21:13 AM

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 20:15:33 +0200, "Pikey"
<pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi;
>
>I've looked all over Google, but I can't find the answer to this - probably
>because no-one ever thought enyone would be dense enough to ask it!
>
>I don't have a pocketpc - I have a problem. My problem is that I need to run
>a small payroll program every week; but I'm not always going to be around to
>do it. I might take a holiday, for example!
>
>I don't want to have to lug my laptop around the world with me, so I'm
>thinking of getting a pocketpc. Is there any way, short of spending the dosh
>and trying it, of finding out if my program will run on pocketpc?
>
>And, not entirely as an aside, can a pocketpc "print" acrobat files if I
>install the relevant program?
>
>Many thanks in advance;
>

>Tim

Oops! Here's the link

http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/04/05/22/1816...
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 3:23:40 AM

Okay Jakub, I got that message; but I "never say never".

Thanks CM; it looks as if I have two choices then; I can get the programmer
to compile his program for the ARM processor (possible, but he'd need a
better reason than one person doing this for one client); or I can use the
bochs emulator and run W98SE or W95 - albeit at about the same speed as a
P75 with 32Mb RAM, although I'd need the ARM 400 with 64Mb, and a 512Mb CF
card.

Many thanks; and contrary to the views of "AlanS"; if I get it to fly, I'll
let you know. From what I see, there are a few people who've managed it so
far.

Tim
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 3:23:41 AM

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 23:23:40 +0200, "Pikey"
<pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Okay Jakub, I got that message; but I "never say never".
>
>Thanks CM; it looks as if I have two choices then; I can get the programmer
>to compile his program for the ARM processor (possible, but he'd need a
>better reason than one person doing this for one client); or I can use the
>bochs emulator and run W98SE or W95 - albeit at about the same speed as a
>P75 with 32Mb RAM, although I'd need the ARM 400 with 64Mb, and a 512Mb CF
>card.
>
>Many thanks; and contrary to the views of "AlanS"; if I get it to fly, I'll
>let you know. From what I see, there are a few people who've managed it so
>far.
>

>Tim

Glad to hear you're pleased! Let us know how it works out!
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 11:34:33 AM

"Pikey" <pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<u2z$fzwVEHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> Okay Jakub, I got that message; but I "never say never".
>
> Thanks CM; it looks as if I have two choices then; I can get the programmer
> to compile his program for the ARM processor (possible, but he'd need a
> better reason than one person doing this for one client); or I can use the
> bochs emulator and run W98SE or W95 - albeit at about the same speed as a
> P75 with 32Mb RAM, although I'd need the ARM 400 with 64Mb, and a 512Mb CF
> card.

The ARM processor is really fast I had a 233Mhz desktop with RISC OS
and it was about the same speed as my P3600 pc, so a P75is no problem
Writing for the ARM is simple but not all arm code will run on al, ARm
devices. eg I have an image analysis package in ARM assembler (from
1992) on my site but it will only run on a RISC OS machine.

> Many thanks; and contrary to the views of "AlanS"; if I get it to fly, I'll
> let you know. From what I see, there are a few people who've managed it so
> far.
>

> Tim
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 5:13:57 AM

"Pikey" <pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Okay Jakub, I got that message; but I "never say never".
>
> Thanks CM; it looks as if I have two choices then; I can get the
programmer
> to compile his program for the ARM processor (possible, but he'd need a
> better reason than one person doing this for one client); or I can use the
> bochs emulator and run W98SE or W95 - albeit at about the same speed as a
> P75 with 32Mb RAM, although I'd need the ARM 400 with 64Mb, and a 512Mb CF
> card.
>
> Many thanks; and contrary to the views of "AlanS"; if I get it to fly,
I'll
> let you know. From what I see, there are a few people who've managed it so
> far.
>

> Tim

There is a pocket PC due to be out this fall that runs full version windows
www.oqo.com. It is a little larger than most PDA's but it's still smaller
than any laptop.

Rick>

!