mc

Hi - Never had to RMA a Mobo before, so two questions.

I've had an A7N8X Dlx die after 18 months use. The UK site doesn't seem to
have the same RMA request process as the US, so I just filled in the Tech.
Support online form, described the problem and requested an RMA number, does
that sound right?

When I get the RMA number what goes back? Just the board, or everything
(USB, Firewire sockets, HD cables, etc.) - I assume everything, but I'd hate
to just get a replacement board back and be short all the ancillary stuff.

TIA
Martin

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

They will likely explain everything you need to know, when they send you
your RMA number. In my experience, they ONLY want the board - nothing else.
And, don't send it in the original box, unless you don't mind losing it.

-phil

"MC" <mcasey@thisbitnotrequiredbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi - Never had to RMA a Mobo before, so two questions.
>
> I've had an A7N8X Dlx die after 18 months use. The UK site doesn't seem
> have the same RMA request process as the US, so I just filled in the Tech.
> Support online form, described the problem and requested an RMA number,
does
> that sound right?
>
> When I get the RMA number what goes back? Just the board, or everything
> (USB, Firewire sockets, HD cables, etc.) - I assume everything, but I'd
hate
> to just get a replacement board back and be short all the ancillary stuff.
>
> TIA
> Martin

I note that, in the USA, rev 1.xx boards are being RMA'd for inability to
work at 400Mhz (even with the later BIOS). Has anybody done that here in the
UK?
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

"Phil" <phil_essing@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> They will likely explain everything you need to know, when they send you
> your RMA number. In my experience, they ONLY want the board - nothing
else.
> And, don't send it in the original box, unless you don't mind losing it.
>
> -phil
>
> "MC" <mcasey@thisbitnotrequiredbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> > Hi - Never had to RMA a Mobo before, so two questions.
> >
> > I've had an A7N8X Dlx die after 18 months use. The UK site doesn't seem
> > have the same RMA request process as the US, so I just filled in the
Tech.
> > Support online form, described the problem and requested an RMA number,
> does
> > that sound right?
> >
> > When I get the RMA number what goes back? Just the board, or everything
> > (USB, Firewire sockets, HD cables, etc.) - I assume everything, but I'd
> hate
> > to just get a replacement board back and be short all the ancillary
stuff.

> > TIA
> > Martin

I note that, in the USA, rev 1.xx boards are being RMA'd for inability to
work at 400Mhz (even with the later BIOS). Has anybody done that here in the
UK?
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

"Phil" <phil_essing@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> They will likely explain everything you need to know, when they send you
> your RMA number. In my experience, they ONLY want the board - nothing
else.
> And, don't send it in the original box, unless you don't mind losing it.
>
> -phil
>
> "MC" <mcasey@thisbitnotrequiredbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> > Hi - Never had to RMA a Mobo before, so two questions.
> >
> > I've had an A7N8X Dlx die after 18 months use. The UK site doesn't seem
> > have the same RMA request process as the US, so I just filled in the
Tech.
> > Support online form, described the problem and requested an RMA number,
> does
> > that sound right?
> >
> > When I get the RMA number what goes back? Just the board, or everything
> > (USB, Firewire sockets, HD cables, etc.) - I assume everything, but I'd
> hate
> > to just get a replacement board back and be short all the ancillary
stuff.

> > TIA
> > Martin

Martin,
Greetings and hallucinations from just north of Fantasy Land (Washington,
DC)!
Things may be different on this side of the pond, but here is my story. My
first A7NX8 DLX v 1.04 was a KLUNKER. It had to go back due to a bad IDE
controller. They wanted it back in the original box and bag, but only the
board in the bag. You keep all of the gadgets that came with it. What came
back was a pleasant surprise. It was a v 2.0 board. I like surprises like
that. It has been rock solid ever since. Best board I have ever had.
Peace,
Paul

MC wrote:
> I've had an A7N8X Dlx die after 18 months use. The UK site doesn't
> seem to have the same RMA request process as the US, so I just
filled
> in the Tech. Support online form, described the problem and
requested
> an RMA number, does that sound right?

Hi, and good luck - I get the feeling you'll need it.

I recently tried to RMA an A7V8X. I got nowhere with the website so I
tried phoning them. Initially all I could get from them was to return
the board back to where I bought it from. It's a bit of a long story,
but the company I got it from wouldn't have anything to do with the
board (They claimed any warranty over the 12 months was between me and
the manufacturer). So I was stuck between a rock and a hard place,
trying to get someone, anyone to accept a dead board for
repair/replacement.

Eventually, after numerous phone calls to Asus UK, they traced the
original distributor for the board and arranged for me to return it to
them - though they wouldn't accept it direct at all.

MikeW

mc

MC wrote...

"Mike Wynne" <mikeywyn@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Eventually, after numerous phone calls to Asus UK, they traced the
> original distributor for the board and arranged for me to return it to
> them - though they wouldn't accept it direct at all.
>
> MikeW

That was a raw deal, this all seems to indicate a difference in attitude
towards US and non US customers, obviously you have to nuture your main
market, but seems pretty cynical. I'll report back on how I get on.

Thanks
Martin

mc

"Paul D. Motzenbecker, Jr." <stargazerRemovetheobvious@cavtel.net> wrote in
message news:sxTMc.623$yR1.49678@news.uswest.net...
> Martin,
> Greetings and hallucinations from just north of Fantasy Land (Washington,
> DC)!
> Things may be different on this side of the pond, but here is my story. My
> first A7NX8 DLX v 1.04 was a KLUNKER. It had to go back due to a bad IDE
> controller. They wanted it back in the original box and bag, but only the
> board in the bag. You keep all of the gadgets that came with it. What came
> back was a pleasant surprise. It was a v 2.0 board. I like surprises like
> that. It has been rock solid ever since. Best board I have ever had.

Thanks Paul - that's what I'm hoping for - I've never been totally happy
with the 1.04, it wouldn't OC by even 1 Mhz and often froze on shutdown, but
it was reliable up to recently.
Martin

Mike Wynne wrote:
> MC wrote:
>> I've had an A7N8X Dlx die after 18 months use. The UK site doesn't
>> seem to have the same RMA request process as the US, so I just filled
>> in the Tech. Support online form, described the problem and requested
>> an RMA number, does that sound right?
>
> Hi, and good luck - I get the feeling you'll need it.
>
> I recently tried to RMA an A7V8X. I got nowhere with the website so I
> tried phoning them. Initially all I could get from them was to return
> the board back to where I bought it from. It's a bit of a long story,
> but the company I got it from wouldn't have anything to do with the
> board (They claimed any warranty over the 12 months was between me and
> the manufacturer). So I was stuck between a rock and a hard place,
> trying to get someone, anyone to accept a dead board for
> repair/replacement.

The law states that inside of a year (and failing any other legally binding
contract between you and the place of purchase), the place of purchase has
to deal with warranty issues. Outside of a year is nothing to do with your
supplier, thats a separate contract between you and the distributor..

> Eventually, after numerous phone calls to Asus UK, they traced the
> original distributor for the board and arranged for me to return it to
> them - though they wouldn't accept it direct at all.

Yes, Asus UK would be my first port of call for warranty outside of 1 year.
As to whether they are responsible for the warranty is a tricky issue -
usually the entity bringing the stock into the country would be the first
suspect. So they have probably acted correctly, despite being a complete
pain in the ass.

I'm not a lawyer, thats my understanding, it may not be correct, yada, yada,
yada...

Ben

MC wrote:
> Hi - Never had to RMA a Mobo before, so two questions.
>
> I've had an A7N8X Dlx die after 18 months use. The UK site doesn't seem
> to have the same RMA request process as the US, so I just filled in the
> Tech. Support online form, described the problem and requested an RMA
> number, does that sound right?
>
> When I get the RMA number what goes back? Just the board, or everything
> (USB, Firewire sockets, HD cables, etc.) - I assume everything, but I'd
> hate to just get a replacement board back and be short all the ancillary
> stuff.

Standard practice seems to be to keep all the bits and pieces if they are
going to do a straight swap. (which is most likely)

Ben

"Mike Wynne" <mikeywyn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> MC wrote:
> > I've had an A7N8X Dlx die after 18 months use. The UK site doesn't
> > seem to have the same RMA request process as the US, so I just
> filled
> > in the Tech. Support online form, described the problem and
> requested
> > an RMA number, does that sound right?
>
> Hi, and good luck - I get the feeling you'll need it.
>
> I recently tried to RMA an A7V8X. I got nowhere with the website so I
> tried phoning them. Initially all I could get from them was to return
> the board back to where I bought it from. It's a bit of a long story,
> but the company I got it from wouldn't have anything to do with the
> board (They claimed any warranty over the 12 months was between me and
> the manufacturer). So I was stuck between a rock and a hard place,
> trying to get someone, anyone to accept a dead board for
> repair/replacement.
>
> Eventually, after numerous phone calls to Asus UK, they traced the
> original distributor for the board and arranged for me to return it to
> them - though they wouldn't accept it direct at all.
>
> MikeW

My a7n8x-delux board (rev 1.xx) was faulty.. After speaking directly with
overclockers.co.uk and asus they BOTH told me I could use either one of them
to return the board.. Since it was a fairly new purchase I sent it back to
OC since I knew that's the way that it normally works.

I had similar problems with you when I had tried to return a MSI board a few
years ago.. I purchased the board through Insight(UK) and I had a LOT of
hassle.. The board didnt get a warranty repair EVER..

I would think that this guy will have a good chance at getting a replacement
(only time will tell)

"Paul D. Motzenbecker, Jr." <stargazerRemovetheobvious@cavtel.net> wrote in
message news:sxTMc.623$yR1.49678@news.uswest.net...
> Martin,
> Greetings and hallucinations from just north of Fantasy Land (Washington,
> DC)!
> Things may be different on this side of the pond, but here is my story. My
> first A7NX8 DLX v 1.04 was a KLUNKER. It had to go back due to a bad IDE
> controller. They wanted it back in the original box and bag, but only the
> board in the bag. You keep all of the gadgets that came with it. What came
> back was a pleasant surprise. It was a v 2.0 board. I like surprises like
> that. It has been rock solid ever since. Best board I have ever had.
> Peace,
> Paul

yea..
This was the fault with my first 1.xx board.. Faulty IDE Controller causing
the system to not start..
my 2.0 board doesnt start sometimes, but It's a different thing.. When it
hangs I can hit the reset switch and it starts straight up.. Strange thing
that.

mc

"rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message

> yea..
> This was the fault with my first 1.xx board.. Faulty IDE Controller
causing
> the system to not start..
> my 2.0 board doesnt start sometimes, but It's a different thing.. When it
> hangs I can hit the reset switch and it starts straight up.. Strange thing
> that.

Same problem with my now dead 1.04 - all fans would start but no beep and no
video until hitting the reset switch - happened about once every 4/5 cold
starts. Other instances I've heard of were with Antec True Power PSUs, not
what you're using by any chance?

Martin

mc

"MC" <mcasey@thisbitnotrequiredbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi - Never had to RMA a Mobo before, so two questions.
>
> I've had an A7N8X Dlx die after 18 months use. The UK site doesn't seem
> have the same RMA request process as the US, so I just filled in the Tech.
> Support online form, described the problem and requested an RMA number,
does
> that sound right?

Response from Asus:

Dear Martin,
Sorry but if the board is faulty you will need to route it back through your
retailer for repair, the UK service centre only handles PDA's and Notebooks.
Mike Mullen
UK Technical Support

- I've send a polite reply.

Response from the retailer (Novatech) by phone:
"After 12 months it's between you and the manufacturer" - to be fair though
they're going to check to see if there's anything they can do and get back
to me.

Seems like Asus (UK) have a 3 year warranty and no process for honouring it.

I'll report back (and suggestions gratefully received).

Martin

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:52:33 +0000 (UTC), "MC"
<mcasey@thisbitnotrequiredbtinternet.com> wrote:

>"MC" <mcasey@thisbitnotrequiredbtinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Hi - Never had to RMA a Mobo before, so two questions.
>>
>> I've had an A7N8X Dlx die after 18 months use. The UK site doesn't seem
>> have the same RMA request process as the US, so I just filled in the Tech.
>> Support online form, described the problem and requested an RMA number,
>does
>> that sound right?
>>
>Response from Asus:
>
>Dear Martin,
>Sorry but if the board is faulty you will need to route it back through your
>retailer for repair, the UK service centre only handles PDA's and Notebooks.
>Mike Mullen
>UK Technical Support
>
>- I've send a polite reply.
>
>Response from the retailer (Novatech) by phone:
>"After 12 months it's between you and the manufacturer" - to be fair though
>they're going to check to see if there's anything they can do and get back
>to me.
>
>Seems like Asus (UK) have a 3 year warranty and no process for honouring it.

The proces is for you to talk to the retailer. All warrenty work is
through the retailer. ASUS in the Uk have never dealt direct with the
end user. Where Novatech may be getting confused is that they have an
obligation to provide 12 month warrenty on any product they sell under
the consumer protection laws. However this does not void any warrenty
supplied by the manufacturer who in ASUS's case deal with the reseller
and not the end user.

>I'll report back (and suggestions gratefully received).
>
>Martin

mc

"Andy Lee" <andy.lee@siemens.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:52:33 +0000 (UTC), "MC"
> <mcasey@thisbitnotrequiredbtinternet.com> wrote:
>

> The proces is for you to talk to the retailer. All warrenty work is
> through the retailer. ASUS in the Uk have never dealt direct with the
> end user. Where Novatech may be getting confused is that they have an
> obligation to provide 12 month warrenty on any product they sell under
> the consumer protection laws. However this does not void any warrenty
> supplied by the manufacturer who in ASUS's case deal with the reseller
> and not the end user.

Dead right!
The Novatech guy checked with their 'Returns Manager' who said there was no
problem returning the board on my behalf and issued a returns number. Now
all they have to do is fix/replace it :)

Thanks for all the comments and info.

Regards
Martin