p2-99b bios flashing to another board

so i got my hands on a p2-99b, and decided to try the flash to a p2b*
bios...

worked great once i got the p2-1ghz cooled enough

but, 3rd ram slot is disabled.

anyone know of a compatible bios i can use that'll let me use my 3rd slot?

-Tsuki

Kenabi Tsuki schrieb:

> so i got my hands on a p2-99b, and decided to try the flash to a p2b*
> bios...

Which one exactly?

> worked great once i got the p2-1ghz cooled enough
>
> but, 3rd ram slot is disabled.
>
> anyone know of a compatible bios i can use that'll let me use my 3rd slot?

Are you *really* sure it's a BIOS issue? The 440ZX chipset only supports
up to 4 rows of memory, which means you can only have up to 2 memory
slots with 2 rows each in use. The 3rd one must use some tricky wiring
so that at least the combination of two single-bank (single-row) modules
in the 2nd and 3rd slots works. This is outlined in the users manual, to
be obtained off an Asus FTP (it even says you can't use any double-bank
modules in the 3rd slot at all). Well, at least you can stuff in up to
512 megs toral via two of the usual BX compatible 256 meg modules (see
Roland's FAQ), or one of those and two singe-bank 128 meg modules.

BTW, real BIOS matching issues would rather be a non-working multi-I/O
chip, so apparently you were lucky and got the right BIOS.

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 1xP3-500E, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

Stephan Grossklass wrote:
> Kenabi Tsuki schrieb:
>

>>so i got my hands on a p2-99b, and decided to try the flash to a p2b*
>>bios...
>

> Which one exactly?

i flashed it to the p2b-b (someone mentioned the p2b as being an
alternative?)

>>worked great once i got the p2-1ghz cooled enough
>>
>>but, 3rd ram slot is disabled.
>>
>>anyone know of a compatible bios i can use that'll let me use my 3rd slot?
>

> Are you *really* sure it's a BIOS issue? The 440ZX chipset only supports
> up to 4 rows of memory, which means you can only have up to 2 memory
> slots with 2 rows each in use. The 3rd one must use some tricky wiring
> so that at least the combination of two single-bank (single-row) modules
> in the 2nd and 3rd slots works. This is outlined in the users manual, to
> be obtained off an Asus FTP (it even says you can't use any double-bank
> modules in the 3rd slot at all). Well, at least you can stuff in up to
> 512 megs toral via two of the usual BX compatible 256 meg modules (see
> Roland's FAQ), or one of those and two singe-bank 128 meg modules.

i was using all 3 slots before (crucial 64mb sticks
(64mb,sync,100mhz,cl2)) and they worked fine, so it's gotta be something
to do with the flashing :(

> BTW, real BIOS matching issues would rather be a non-working multi-I/O
> chip, so apparently you were lucky and got the right BIOS.

yeah, everything else is working great. just this one annoying issue. :/

> Stephan

-Tsuki

I flashed mine with the P2B 1014 Beta3 bios a while back to get the Slot-T
adaptor to work. I just tried putting ram into the third slot and the
system doesn't see it. Oh well, it's an acceptable tradeoff to get a
Celeron 1400 working on this old board.

"Kenabi Tsuki" <lcasley.nospam@qwest.net> wrote in message
> so i got my hands on a p2-99b, and decided to try the flash to a p2b*
> bios...
>
> worked great once i got the p2-1ghz cooled enough
>
> but, 3rd ram slot is disabled.
>
> anyone know of a compatible bios i can use that'll let me use my 3rd slot?
>
> -Tsuki

TRENDING THREADS