P4C800-ED installing soundcard - front panel audio?

If I install a soundcard and disable the onboard sound on a P4C800-ED, will
the front panel mic and headphone sockets still work on a Antec Sonata
Tower?

--
Rocky
www.ghostrecon.net | www.agr-s.com | www.tactical-elite.net

__
6 answers Last reply
More about p4c800 installing soundcard front panel audio

    In article <2mi1j7Fmtd86U1@uni-berlin.de>, "Rocky" <Rocky@GhostRecon.net> wrote:

    > If I install a soundcard and disable the onboard sound on a P4C800-ED, will
    > the front panel mic and headphone sockets still work on a Antec Sonata
    > Tower?

    No, I wouldn't think so. The PCI bus was designed to carry PCI signals,
    so how will the soundcard get its analog signals into the motherboard ?
    The only way to connect the soundcard to the front panel is if the
    soundcard has headers labelled "Mic" or "Speakers", and you aren't
    likely to find that. Sometimes the soundcard has a 2xN header, a long
    one intended for connecting to another device (like an extension
    interface), but the pinouts for those can be impossible to find.
    Generally, if such an extension interface exists, you have to
    rely on the work of experimenters, to find out which pin is which.
    With so many different sound card models, few will be documented.

    If you go to frontx.com , they have a modular system for making a drive
    tray interface. They have some audio connectors for their system.
    Each has a 1/8" plug and length of wire on it. You route the wire out
    through an open PCI slot, then plug the 1/8" plug into the sound
    card. While this is messy on the back of the computer, it does allow
    transferring the jacks from the back of the computer, to the front.
    Note that with the amount of electrical interference flying around
    inside the computer case, you will hear funny noises on the mic input
    by doing this. That is also frequently true if you use the CD audio
    output and cable that to the soundcard or the motherboard. You would
    need shielded cabling for that to be practical.

    Many times, jobs like this need custom cabling. So, a soldering iron,
    parts from an electronics store, etc., are required, if you want
    this to work. At least the connectors on the back of the sound card
    are reliable and have a low noise floor.

    My solution is to put the computer on top of my desk, making it
    easy to get to the back of the computer. I have a really big computer
    desk, home made.

    HTH,
    Paul

    > In article <2mi1j7Fmtd86U1@uni-berlin.de>, "Rocky" <Rocky@GhostRecon.net>
    wrote:

    > > If I install a soundcard and disable the onboard sound on a P4C800-ED,
    will
    > > the front panel mic and headphone sockets still work on a Antec Sonata
    > > Tower?
    >
    > No, I wouldn't think so. <snipped>

    Thanks for the info, disapointing as it was. Strikes me as bizarre it is
    such a hastle to get front connectors working, the rear is such a pain.
    That's one of the reasons I bought this sonata case, for the front
    connectors, now I am thinking about installing a sound card, I would lose
    that finctionality. What a pain.

    --
    Rocky
    www.ghostrecon.net | www.agr-s.com | www.tactical-elite.net

    __

    Yep--it is a pain--BUT, as a workaround, somebody sells (sorry--sieve-like
    memory forgets) a kludgy fix that would work--it consists of cables that
    plug into the rear exterior, pass through the interior of the computer and
    connect to the inside connectors at the front of the case. Another
    possibility that I used with a USB rear connector until I built this new
    computer was to purchase a short cable extension and laid it beside the
    computer out of sight until it was needed.

    MikeSp
    --------------------

    "Rocky" <Rocky@GhostRecon.net> wrote in message

    > > In article <2mi1j7Fmtd86U1@uni-berlin.de>, "Rocky"
    <Rocky@GhostRecon.net>
    > wrote:
    > >
    > > > If I install a soundcard and disable the onboard sound on a P4C800-ED,
    > will
    > > > the front panel mic and headphone sockets still work on a Antec Sonata
    > > > Tower?
    > >
    > > No, I wouldn't think so. <snipped>
    >
    > Thanks for the info, disapointing as it was. Strikes me as bizarre it is
    > such a hastle to get front connectors working, the rear is such a pain.
    > That's one of the reasons I bought this sonata case, for the front
    > connectors, now I am thinking about installing a sound card, I would lose
    > that finctionality. What a pain.
    >

    > --
    > Rocky
    > www.ghostrecon.net | www.agr-s.com | www.tactical-elite.net
    >
    > __

    Or you could get a sound card with its own breakout box, such as the Audigy2
    Platinum or others like it. See http://www.nusystems.co.uk/buy.asp?b=167
    for some examples.

    Rich

    --
    Return address modified for SPAM protection. Remove windy to reply.
    "Michael S." <mspurgeon5@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Yep--it is a pain--BUT, as a workaround, somebody sells (sorry--sieve-like
    > memory forgets) a kludgy fix that would work--it consists of cables that
    > plug into the rear exterior, pass through the interior of the computer and
    > connect to the inside connectors at the front of the case. Another
    > possibility that I used with a USB rear connector until I built this new
    > computer was to purchase a short cable extension and laid it beside the
    > computer out of sight until it was needed.
    >
    > MikeSp
    > --------------------
    >
    > "Rocky" <Rocky@GhostRecon.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message
    > > > In article <2mi1j7Fmtd86U1@uni-berlin.de>, "Rocky"
    > <Rocky@GhostRecon.net>

    P4C800-ED,
    > > will
    Sonata

    > > > No, I wouldn't think so. <snipped>
    > >
    > > Thanks for the info, disapointing as it was. Strikes me as bizarre it is
    > > such a hastle to get front connectors working, the rear is such a pain.
    > > That's one of the reasons I bought this sonata case, for the front
    > > connectors, now I am thinking about installing a sound card, I would
    lose
    > > that finctionality. What a pain.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Rocky
    > > www.ghostrecon.net | www.agr-s.com | www.tactical-elite.net
    > >
    > > __

    It would depend upon the needs of the user as to whether or not the Audigy
    2ZS Platinum would serve the needed purpose--I am using one. In the "Front
    Drive" Panel, there are no 5.1 - 7.1 outputs, but SPDIF in and out (RCA
    connectors), one optical in and one optical (Toslink connectors) out, one
    headphones out (1/4" jack), 1 each aux in, L & R (RCA connectors), another
    line in (1/4" jack), MIDI in and out, and finally, Firewire in. This offers
    some nice advantages for a soundcard of that quality in the $100-130 range
    with rebate and/or discount or sale price, but if attempting a custom build
    in which the wires are to be hidden and neat, it uses a wide ribbon cable
    that looks kinda like a hard drive ribbon cable and is very difficult to
    conceal or keep out of the way of air flow from fans in some cases.

    MikeSp

    Thanks Rich, seen any for sub £50? :op

    --
    Rocky
    www.ghostrecon.net | www.agr-s.com | www.tactical-elite.net

    __

Asus Audio Front Panel Sound Cards Motherboards Product