Can anyone shed any light on why WinXP Pro SP1 would report a IBM Thinkpad
A21m (700 MHz PIII) as 547 MHz? Prior to that, it showed it as 145 MHz! Is
this some kind of Windows error, or am I being shorted CPU power?

Most laptops use CPU management to under-clock the CPU to
save power, the speed you see depends on load, power
available, whether it is plugged in to an external power
supply and how you have it set up.

"Jeff Hansman" <[remove me]jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote in
message news:uExu2EdREHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| Can anyone shed any light on why WinXP Pro SP1 would
report a IBM Thinkpad
| A21m (700 MHz PIII) as 547 MHz? Prior to that, it showed
it as 145 MHz! Is
| this some kind of Windows error, or am I being shorted CPU
power?

Found a nice little freeware util called Speedswitch that now has me running
at 697 MHz on AC.

"Jeff Hansman" <[remove me]jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone shed any light on why WinXP Pro SP1 would report a IBM Thinkpad
> A21m (700 MHz PIII) as 547 MHz? Prior to that, it showed it as 145 MHz! Is
> this some kind of Windows error, or am I being shorted CPU power?

You're welcome

"Jeff Hansman" <[remove me]jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote in
message news:OF6GU7lREHA.1944@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| Found a nice little freeware util called Speedswitch that
now has me running
| at 697 MHz on AC.
|
| "Jeff Hansman" <[remove me]jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote in
message
| > Can anyone shed any light on why WinXP Pro SP1 would
report a IBM Thinkpad
| > A21m (700 MHz PIII) as 547 MHz? Prior to that, it showed
it as 145 MHz! Is
| > this some kind of Windows error, or am I being shorted
CPU power?

I am grateful for the help. Just forgot my manners. Sorry.

> You're welcome

> "Jeff Hansman" <[remove me]jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote in
> message news:OF6GU7lREHA.1944@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> | Found a nice little freeware util called Speedswitch that
> now has me running
> | at 697 MHz on AC.
> |
> | "Jeff Hansman" <[remove me]jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote in
> message
> | > Can anyone shed any light on why WinXP Pro SP1 would
> report a IBM Thinkpad
> | > A21m (700 MHz PIII) as 547 MHz? Prior to that, it showed
> it as 145 MHz! Is
> | > this some kind of Windows error, or am I being shorted
> CPU power?

These things are so complex and yet easy to use we often
forget about how they work. No offense was taken or
intended.

"Jeff Hansman" <[remove me]jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote in
message news:%235qyEanREHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| I am grateful for the help. Just forgot my manners. Sorry.

in message
| > You're welcome
| >

| > --
| >

| > "Jeff Hansman" <[remove me]jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote
in
| > message news:OF6GU7lREHA.1944@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| > | Found a nice little freeware util called Speedswitch
that
| > now has me running
| > | at 697 MHz on AC.
| > |
| > | "Jeff Hansman" <[remove me]jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote
in
| > message
| > report a IBM Thinkpad
showed
| > it as 145 MHz! Is
shorted
| > CPU power?

| > |
| > |

Well, I'm just glad there was somewhere I could get an answer and someone
willing to help. Usenet is not always the friendliest place around.

> These things are so complex and yet easy to use we often
> forget about how they work. No offense was taken or
> intended.

> "Jeff Hansman" <[remove me]jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote in
> message news:%235qyEanREHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> | I am grateful for the help. Just forgot my manners. Sorry.
> |
> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message
> | > You're welcome
> | >

> | > --
> | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
> | >

> | > "Jeff Hansman" <[remove me]jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote
> in
> | > message news:OF6GU7lREHA.1944@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> that
> | > now has me running
> | > |
> in
> | > message
> | > report a IBM Thinkpad
> showed
> | > it as 145 MHz! Is
> shorted
> | > CPU power?
> | > | >

> | > |
> | > |

It should be required that all computer users take some
steps to learn more than how to find the power switch, but
just how much that is can be hard to determine. You don't
need to be a machine level programmer or even know how to
use Visual Basic to use a computer. And it doesn't help
that companies like HP/Compaq don't have paper manuals or CD
media. There is so much that happens, many people don't
have the time (or will take the time) to read about
technology as it changes daily.
Many won't buy a computer magazine such as PC World, or even
Video Professor.

Bill Cosby said that poor black families were not keeping up
with their responsibilities, maybe all computer users should
be more responsible, too. This is not aimed at you, just
the general guy who buys a computer at Wal-Mart or BestBuy
and thinks its like a kitchen appliance.

"Jeff Hansman" <[remove me]jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote in
message news:ui$2S%23qREHA.3012@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| Well, I'm just glad there was somewhere I could get an
answer and someone
| willing to help. Usenet is not always the friendliest
place around.

in message
| > These things are so complex and yet easy to use we often
| > forget about how they work. No offense was taken or
| > intended.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "Jeff Hansman" <[remove me]jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote
in
| > message news:%235qyEanREHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| > | I am grateful for the help. Just forgot my manners.
Sorry.
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote