Alan

I installed xp and the system does not recognize the 80gb
hard drive. System boots fine and recognizes the C drive.
Why won't the system recognize the D drive?
The system shows the A drive as slave.

Try this:
Right-click on My Computer, click Manage, go to Disk
Management. If you see the drive, assign it a drive
letter (other than A). If this is a new drive (you don't
say) you may have to partition it and format it first. Be
CAREFUL in Disk Management and DON'T TOUCH the C drive.
If you're not sure = DON'T.

Good Luck !