Hello,

I have two questions for my A7V880.
1) I plan to have just two SATA in RAID 0 and no IDE hard drives. This
should be okay and Window XP will recognize when I press F6 and give it
the RAID drivers right?

2) I brought two sticks of memory to run in dual channel mode.
There are 4 memory slots.
It's label
Channel A BLUE Color
Channel A Black Color
Channel B Blue Color
Channel B Black Color.

Do I insert both my memory in the two Channel A slots?

Many Thanks!
-John

Paul

Splendid

In article <ISWMc.657$Ue.528@text.usenetserver.com>, John Doe
<John@noboddy.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have two questions for my A7V880.
> 1) I plan to have just two SATA in RAID 0 and no IDE hard drives. This
> should be okay and Window XP will recognize when I press F6 and give it
> the RAID drivers right?
>
> 2) I brought two sticks of memory to run in dual channel mode.
> There are 4 memory slots.
> It's label
> Channel A BLUE Color
> Channel A Black Color
> Channel B Blue Color
> Channel B Black Color.
>
> Do I insert both my memory in the two Channel A slots?
>
> Many Thanks!
> -John

1) Via SATA BOOTROM is [Enabled] by default, so I think it should
be ready to go for you.

Your manual doesn't have complete documentation on the RAID
in the 8237 Southbridge. The K8V SE deluxe also uses the
8237, and it has a chapter on VIA RAID. See section 5.7
on pages 131 to 138.

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/mb/sock754/k8v_se_dx/e1491_k8v_se_deluxe.pdf

2) For memory, your manual says to use the two blue slots first.
That is DIMM, <none>, DIMM, <none>, starting at the processor end.
(I have to mention that, because Asus sometimes gets the slot
coloring mixed up. Some A7N8X boards were made with improperly
colored DIMM slots.)

HTH,
Paul

Isn`t it a real ah heck when you don`t get a manual with your board ?

Paul wrote:
> In article <ISWMc.657$Ue.528@text.usenetserver.com>, John Doe
> <John@noboddy.com> wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I have two questions for my A7V880.
>>1) I plan to have just two SATA in RAID 0 and no IDE hard drives. This
>>should be okay and Window XP will recognize when I press F6 and give it
>>the RAID drivers right?
>>
>>2) I brought two sticks of memory to run in dual channel mode.
>>There are 4 memory slots.
>>It's label
>>Channel A BLUE Color
>>Channel A Black Color
>>Channel B Blue Color
>>Channel B Black Color.
>>
>>Do I insert both my memory in the two Channel A slots?
>>
>>Many Thanks!
>>-John
>

> 1) Via SATA BOOTROM is [Enabled] by default, so I think it should
> be ready to go for you.
>
> Your manual doesn't have complete documentation on the RAID
> in the 8237 Southbridge. The K8V SE deluxe also uses the
> 8237, and it has a chapter on VIA RAID. See section 5.7
> on pages 131 to 138.
>
> ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/mb/sock754/k8v_se_dx/e1491_k8v_se_deluxe.pdf
>
> 2) For memory, your manual says to use the two blue slots first.
> That is DIMM, <none>, DIMM, <none>, starting at the processor end.
> (I have to mention that, because Asus sometimes gets the slot
> coloring mixed up. Some A7N8X boards were made with improperly
> colored DIMM slots.)
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Paul, you are a great man.
I did read over the manual but didn't find much information on RAID
until I read the k8v manual.
The A7v880 manual states, "It is recommended to use the blue DIMM slots
first." I didn't know it meant to use BOTH blue slots first before
using the black slots.
Thanks a bunch!