Beep codes

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2004 1:42:32 AM

I have a SK8N motherboard with AMD FX-51 CPU. I'm getting short beep
codes like beep...beep....beep uninterupted. I looked at websites for
AMI and they don't show any codes that are short nonstop beeps. Any
help is appreciated.

More about : beep codes

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2004 6:07:27 AM

Usually a memory fault. If it's not a new build, try to reseat the module.
If it's a new build, are you sure you have the right ram? Registered?

"RDellinger" <rdellinger@cox.net> wrote in message
> I have a SK8N motherboard with AMD FX-51 CPU. I'm getting short beep
> codes like beep...beep....beep uninterupted. I looked at websites for
> AMI and they don't show any codes that are short nonstop beeps. Any
> help is appreciated.
July 26, 2004 6:07:28 AM

In article <zHZMc.212723$2o2.10555959@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
"Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> wrote:

> Usually a memory fault. If it's not a new build, try to reseat the module.
> If it's a new build, are you sure you have the right ram? Registered?
>
> "RDellinger" <rdellinger@cox.net> wrote in message
> > I have a SK8N motherboard with AMD FX-51 CPU. I'm getting short beep
> > codes like beep...beep....beep uninterupted. I looked at websites for
> > AMI and they don't show any codes that are short nonstop beeps. Any
> > help is appreciated.

If you aren't sure they are registered, post the contents of the label
on the DIMM and any lettering on one of the memory chips. Perhaps we
can identify what you got.

Paul
a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2004 4:16:22 PM

It's Kingston KVR333X72RC25/5120. Again, I looked at other websites
and the most beeps it showed I think was 11 or 13, these beeps are
nonstop. Thanks for the quick responses.

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 23:20:10 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <zHZMc.212723$2o2.10555959@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
>"Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> wrote:
>
>> Usually a memory fault. If it's not a new build, try to reseat the module.
>> If it's a new build, are you sure you have the right ram? Registered?
>>
>> "RDellinger" <rdellinger@cox.net> wrote in message
>> > I have a SK8N motherboard with AMD FX-51 CPU. I'm getting short beep
>> > codes like beep...beep....beep uninterupted. I looked at websites for
>> > AMI and they don't show any codes that are short nonstop beeps. Any
>> > help is appreciated.
>
>If you aren't sure they are registered, post the contents of the label
>on the DIMM and any lettering on one of the memory chips. Perhaps we
>can identify what you got.
>
> Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2004 8:17:10 PM

Are you sure it is a bios "beep" and not a PC Probe "beep" advising you for
a temp or a fan problem?

"RDellinger" <rdellinger@cox.net> a écrit dans le message de
> I have a SK8N motherboard with AMD FX-51 CPU. I'm getting short beep
> codes like beep...beep....beep uninterupted. I looked at websites for
> AMI and they don't show any codes that are short nonstop beeps. Any
> help is appreciated.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 27, 2004 12:58:15 AM

I think you meant KVR333X72RC25/512D

Try to reseat the memory module and video card. Make sure they are fully
seated in the slots.

> It's Kingston KVR333X72RC25/5120. Again, I looked at other websites
> and the most beeps it showed I think was 11 or 13, these beeps are
> nonstop. Thanks for the quick responses.
>
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 23:20:10 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>
> >In article <zHZMc.212723$2o2.10555959@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
> >"Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Usually a memory fault. If it's not a new build, try to reseat the
module.
> >> If it's a new build, are you sure you have the right ram? Registered?
> >>
> >> "RDellinger" <rdellinger@cox.net> wrote in message
> >
> >If you aren't sure they are registered, post the contents of the label
> >on the DIMM and any lettering on one of the memory chips. Perhaps we
> >can identify what you got.
> >
> > Paul

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 27, 2004 5:42:30 AM

I'm not sure. Turn power supply on, about 3 seconds goes by and the
beeping starts and nothing on the monitor. How do I tell?

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:17:10 -0400, "Jeannot" <ordimulti@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Are you sure it is a bios "beep" and not a PC Probe "beep" advising you for
>a temp or a fan problem?
>
>"RDellinger" <rdellinger@cox.net> a écrit dans le message de
>> I have a SK8N motherboard with AMD FX-51 CPU. I'm getting short beep
>> codes like beep...beep....beep uninterupted. I looked at websites for
>> AMI and they don't show any codes that are short nonstop beeps. Any
>> help is appreciated.

July 27, 2004 9:39:10 AM

In article <smqbg05vd97htgq3u6na2pjel777a0rfs5@4ax.com>, RDellinger
<rdellinger@cox.net> wrote:

> I'm not sure. Turn power supply on, about 3 seconds goes by and the
> beeping starts and nothing on the monitor. How do I tell?
>
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:17:10 -0400, "Jeannot" <ordimulti@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Are you sure it is a bios "beep" and not a PC Probe "beep" advising you for
> >a temp or a fan problem?
> >
> >"RDellinger" <rdellinger@cox.net> a écrit dans le message de
> >> I have a SK8N motherboard with AMD FX-51 CPU. I'm getting short beep
> >> codes like beep...beep....beep uninterupted. I looked at websites for
> >> AMI and they don't show any codes that are short nonstop beeps. Any
> >> help is appreciated.

OK, the module is listed on the Kingston site.

http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR333X72RC25_512.pd...

Are you following the population rules in the manual ?

If using a single module, install in A1 or A2.
If using two modules, use A1+B1 or A2+B2

Do you get the same beeps with all RAM removed ?

You must have the 2x2 ATX 12V power connector installed,
because as far as I know, the beeps require the processor
to be running, as it times the beeps. The actual tone may
be generated by one of the chips on the motherboard, but
the duration and frequency chosen requires intelligence.

I took a look here:
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.as...

and it says:

"AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 ALL 1003
System will not boot with this processor before
updaing to version 1003."

I hope that isn't the problem. Check the paper label
attached to the BIOS flash chip. The chip is in a socket,
and if all else fails, you could send this chip to badflash.com
or Asus, and have it flashed up to a later BIOS for a
nominal fee. I doubt an RMA could be done as cheaply
as a BIOS flash :-)

Otherwise, I'm running out of ideas...
The beeps mean you are close to getting it running.

HTH,
Paul
August 8, 2004 2:14:22 AM

RDellinger wrote:

> I have a SK8N motherboard with AMD FX-51 CPU. I'm getting short beep
> codes like beep...beep....beep uninterupted. I looked at websites for
> AMI and they don't show any codes that are short nonstop beeps. Any
> help is appreciated.

Very often non stop beeps flags a memory fault.
If so you will not have the bios boot screen or other events on your screen.
If the memory worked before try resetting your bios according to the maual.
If the memory was used in a very old system before the ram might be to slow
and you might use it with your old system but not the new system.
On some motherboar it is possible the take out the ram and put it in again
and get it working, that is often a result of incorrect mounting (bad
contact).
You can be pretty shure to first have a look on it as a memory problem.

Good luck to you
!