Beep codes

I have a SK8N motherboard with AMD FX-51 CPU. I'm getting short beep
codes like beep...beep....beep uninterupted. I looked at websites for
AMI and they don't show any codes that are short nonstop beeps. Any
help is appreciated.
8 answers Last reply
More about beep codes

    Usually a memory fault. If it's not a new build, try to reseat the module.
    If it's a new build, are you sure you have the right ram? Registered?

    In article <zHZMc.212723$2o2.10555959@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
    "Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> wrote:

    > Usually a memory fault. If it's not a new build, try to reseat the module.
    > If it's a new build, are you sure you have the right ram? Registered?
    >
    > "RDellinger" <rdellinger@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > I have a SK8N motherboard with AMD FX-51 CPU. I'm getting short beep
    > > codes like beep...beep....beep uninterupted. I looked at websites for
    > > AMI and they don't show any codes that are short nonstop beeps. Any
    > > help is appreciated.

    If you aren't sure they are registered, post the contents of the label
    on the DIMM and any lettering on one of the memory chips. Perhaps we
    can identify what you got.

    Paul

    It's Kingston KVR333X72RC25/5120. Again, I looked at other websites
    and the most beeps it showed I think was 11 or 13, these beeps are
    nonstop. Thanks for the quick responses.

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 23:20:10 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >In article <zHZMc.212723$2o2.10555959@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
    >"Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Usually a memory fault. If it's not a new build, try to reseat the module.
    >> If it's a new build, are you sure you have the right ram? Registered?
    >>
    >> "RDellinger" <rdellinger@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> > I have a SK8N motherboard with AMD FX-51 CPU. I'm getting short beep
    >> > codes like beep...beep....beep uninterupted. I looked at websites for
    >> > AMI and they don't show any codes that are short nonstop beeps. Any
    >> > help is appreciated.
    >
    >If you aren't sure they are registered, post the contents of the label
    >on the DIMM and any lettering on one of the memory chips. Perhaps we
    >can identify what you got.
    >
    > Paul

    Are you sure it is a bios "beep" and not a PC Probe "beep" advising you for
    a temp or a fan problem?

    "RDellinger" <rdellinger@cox.net> a écrit dans le message de
    > I have a SK8N motherboard with AMD FX-51 CPU. I'm getting short beep
    > codes like beep...beep....beep uninterupted. I looked at websites for
    > AMI and they don't show any codes that are short nonstop beeps. Any
    > help is appreciated.

    I think you meant KVR333X72RC25/512D

    Try to reseat the memory module and video card. Make sure they are fully
    seated in the slots.

    > It's Kingston KVR333X72RC25/5120. Again, I looked at other websites
    > and the most beeps it showed I think was 11 or 13, these beeps are
    > nonstop. Thanks for the quick responses.
    >
    > On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 23:20:10 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
    >
    > >In article <zHZMc.212723$2o2.10555959@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
    > >"Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Usually a memory fault. If it's not a new build, try to reseat the
    module.
    > >> If it's a new build, are you sure you have the right ram? Registered?
    > >>
    > >> "RDellinger" <rdellinger@cox.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >If you aren't sure they are registered, post the contents of the label
    > >on the DIMM and any lettering on one of the memory chips. Perhaps we
    > >can identify what you got.
    > >
    > > Paul

    I'm not sure. Turn power supply on, about 3 seconds goes by and the
    beeping starts and nothing on the monitor. How do I tell?

    In article <smqbg05vd97htgq3u6na2pjel777a0rfs5@4ax.com>, RDellinger
    <rdellinger@cox.net> wrote:

    > I'm not sure. Turn power supply on, about 3 seconds goes by and the
    > beeping starts and nothing on the monitor. How do I tell?
    >
    > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:17:10 -0400, "Jeannot" <ordimulti@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Are you sure it is a bios "beep" and not a PC Probe "beep" advising you for
    > >a temp or a fan problem?
    > >
    > >"RDellinger" <rdellinger@cox.net> a écrit dans le message de
    > >> I have a SK8N motherboard with AMD FX-51 CPU. I'm getting short beep
    > >> codes like beep...beep....beep uninterupted. I looked at websites for
    > >> AMI and they don't show any codes that are short nonstop beeps. Any
    > >> help is appreciated.

    OK, the module is listed on the Kingston site.

    http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR333X72RC25_512.pdf

    Are you following the population rules in the manual ?

    If using a single module, install in A1 or A2.
    If using two modules, use A1+B1 or A2+B2

    Do you get the same beeps with all RAM removed ?

    You must have the 2x2 ATX 12V power connector installed,
    because as far as I know, the beeps require the processor
    to be running, as it times the beeps. The actual tone may
    be generated by one of the chips on the motherboard, but
    the duration and frequency chosen requires intelligence.

    I took a look here:
    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    and it says:

    "AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 ALL 1003
    System will not boot with this processor before
    updaing to version 1003."

    I hope that isn't the problem. Check the paper label
    attached to the BIOS flash chip. The chip is in a socket,
    and if all else fails, you could send this chip to badflash.com
    or Asus, and have it flashed up to a later BIOS for a
    nominal fee. I doubt an RMA could be done as cheaply
    as a BIOS flash :-)

    Otherwise, I'm running out of ideas...
    The beeps mean you are close to getting it running.

    HTH,
    Paul

    RDellinger wrote:

    > I have a SK8N motherboard with AMD FX-51 CPU. I'm getting short beep
    > codes like beep...beep....beep uninterupted. I looked at websites for
    > AMI and they don't show any codes that are short nonstop beeps. Any
    > help is appreciated.

    Very often non stop beeps flags a memory fault.
    If so you will not have the bios boot screen or other events on your screen.
    If the memory worked before try resetting your bios according to the maual.
    If the memory was used in a very old system before the ram might be to slow
    and you might use it with your old system but not the new system.
    On some motherboar it is possible the take out the ram and put it in again
    and get it working, that is often a result of incorrect mounting (bad
    contact).
    You can be pretty shure to first have a look on it as a memory problem.

    Good luck to you

Asus Motherboards