A7N8X-E doesn't like dual channel

Anybody have sim- ilar: If I configure PC3200 512M sticks to dual channel it
whacks my system- won't even finish post. Works fine in single channel mode.
Any ideas?

Sam

Sometime on, or about Mon, 26 Jul 2004 02:09:02 GMT, Kent Hosterman
wrote:

> Anybody have sim- ilar: If I configure PC3200 512M sticks to dual channel it
> whacks my system- won't even finish post. Works fine in single channel mode.
> Any ideas?

What kind of RAM do you have? Is it overclocked? What are your BIOS
RAM settings?

Sam
--
To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

"Kent Hosterman" <kentDOTh@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Anybody have sim- ilar: If I configure PC3200 512M sticks to dual channel
it
> whacks my system- won't even finish post. Works fine in single channel
mode.
> Any ideas?

With two A7N8X-Es I had a problem where memory that works
great in the DIMM B slot, won't work in either DIMM A slot.

With the BIOS 1011, I've got 1Gig running, two ea. 256meg in
the A1 & A2 slots and a 512meg in the B slot. This is all the same
memory sticks I was unable to get working in the A slots prior to
the flash to 1011.

Luck;
Ken

gf

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

There is almost no improvement with dual channel
on AMD boards.

That is why I prefer to stick with BIOS 1009.
That way two 512M DDR's are seen as lG,
against 512M when running as dual channel.é

"GF" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message

> There is almost no improvement with dual channel
> on AMD boards.
>
> That is why I prefer to stick with BIOS 1009.
> That way two 512M DDR's are seen as lG,
> against 512M when running as dual channel.é

That's funny my two 256M and one 512M are seen as
1G also, as well as running in dual channel mode.
Everything I have is reporting 1G including Everest and
Wcpuid.

Luck;
Ken

Ed

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 02:57:06 -0500, "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>"GF" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> There is almost no improvement with dual channel
>> on AMD boards.
>>
>> That is why I prefer to stick with BIOS 1009.
>> That way two 512M DDR's are seen as lG,
>> against 512M when running as dual channel.é
>>

> That's funny my two 256M and one 512M are seen as
>1G also, as well as running in dual channel mode.
>Everything I have is reporting 1G including Everest and
>Wcpuid.
>
>Luck;
> Ken

huh?
2x256 = 512 + 512 = 1GB.

gf

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Interesting. Perhaps there nis a problem with my
boar and BIOS 1011.t

> "GF" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
> >
> > There is almost no improvement with dual channel
> > on AMD boards.
> >
> > That is why I prefer to stick with BIOS 1009.
> > That way two 512M DDR's are seen as lG,
> > against 512M when running as dual channel.é
> >

> That's funny my two 256M and one 512M are seen as
> 1G also, as well as running in dual channel mode.
> Everything I have is reporting 1G including Everest and
> Wcpuid.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

gf

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

More probably, due to problems I had with my power supply -
which required me to remove one of my three 512 M or
some other PCI peripheral for all devices to be detected
when coming out of hibernation.

I since replaced the power supply.

Ed wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 02:57:06 -0500, "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>

>> "GF" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
>>>
>>> There is almost no improvement with dual channel
>>> on AMD boards.
>>>
>>> That is why I prefer to stick with BIOS 1009.
>>> That way two 512M DDR's are seen as lG,
>>> against 512M when running as dual channel.é

Well if it's detected as 512MB, one of them isn't being detected. You get
the full amount of RAM you have Dual Channel enabled.

>> That's funny my two 256M and one 512M are seen as
>> 1G also, as well as running in dual channel mode.
>> Everything I have is reporting 1G including Everest and
>> Wcpuid.
>>
>> Luck;
>> Ken
>>

> huh?
> 2x256 = 512 + 512 = 1GB.

huh indeed.

2*256MB + 512MB = 1GB

Ben

> >> "GF" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message

> Well if it's detected as 512MB, one of them isn't being detected. You get
> the full amount of RAM you have Dual Channel enabled.
>
> >> That's funny my two 256M and one 512M are seen as
> >> 1G also, as well as running in dual channel mode.
> >> Everything I have is reporting 1G including Everest and
> >> Wcpuid.
> >>
> >> Luck;
> >> Ken
> >>

> > huh?
> > 2x256 = 512 + 512 = 1GB.
>
> huh indeed.
>
> 2*256MB + 512MB = 1GB
>
> Ben
> --

GF was saying that with the 1009 BIOS his two 512MB
sticks were seen as 1GB, but that with higher numbered
BIOS that let him run as dual channel he only saw 512MB.

I was pointing out that my fully populated memory slots
were seen as 1G and as dual channel mode. The post
of mine that GF was responding to, mentioned that I got
mine working by using the 1011 BIOS.

Luck;
Ken