Newbie question: What is graphics aperture size?

I just built a computer. I have an ASUS A7N8x-E deluxe. Within the BIOS
there is an option called Graphics Aperture Size. Are you supposed to set
this to the amount if video memory your video card has?

Thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about newbie question graphics aperture size

    "llib" <willgignospam@sbcglobal.net> astounded us with:

    > I just built a computer. I have an ASUS A7N8x-E deluxe. Within the BIOS
    > there is an option called Graphics Aperture Size. Are you supposed to set
    > this to the amount if video memory your video card has?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    It's the amount of system RAM that the AGP card is permitted to use. Leave it
    on the default of 64, or play around with it and end up leaving it on 64. ;)

    In article <Xns95328A538704EVizor347@192.189.54.177>, Gene Puhl
    <Gene_P@soma.net> wrote:

    > "llib" <willgignospam@sbcglobal.net> astounded us with:
    >
    > > I just built a computer. I have an ASUS A7N8x-E deluxe. Within the BIOS
    > > there is an option called Graphics Aperture Size. Are you supposed to set
    > > this to the amount if video memory your video card has?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >

    > It's the amount of system RAM that the AGP card is permitted to use. Leave it
    > on the default of 64, or play around with it and end up leaving it on 64. ;)

    You can get some info on BIOS options here:

    http://www.rojakpot.com/freeBOG.aspx
    http://www.rojakpot.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?Lang=0&bogno=32

    HTH,
    Paul

    "llib" <willgignospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > I just built a computer. I have an ASUS A7N8x-E deluxe. Within the BIOS
    > there is an option called Graphics Aperture Size. Are you supposed to
    set
    > this to the amount if video memory your video card has?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    No.
    It is a definition for an 'aperture', into the main system memory, that
    the video card can talk through. The idea was, that if the graphics card,
    needed more RAM for 3D rendering operations, it could use part of the
    system memory without involving the motherboard processor in the
    transaction, by talking through this window. In the days when this was
    thought of, graphics cards often had only 8 to 16MB of RAM. At this time,
    the recommendation, was that the aperture should be set to half the size
    of the _system_ memory.
    In recent years, the recommended size for this has dropped, as cards have
    more memory (and hence need extra RAM, less often), and memory sizes on
    the main machines have grown. Generally the more memory there is on the
    graphics card, the smaller this can be. The 'default' 64MB, is usually
    pretty good.

    Best Wishes

    > In article <Xns95328A538704EVizor347@192.189.54.177>, Gene Puhl
    > <Gene_P@soma.net> wrote:
    >
    > > "llib" <willgignospam@sbcglobal.net> astounded us with:
    > >
    > > > I just built a computer. I have an ASUS A7N8x-E deluxe. Within the
    BIOS
    > > > there is an option called Graphics Aperture Size. Are you supposed to
    set
    > > > this to the amount if video memory your video card has?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance.
    > > >

    > > It's the amount of system RAM that the AGP card is permitted to use.
    Leave it
    > > on the default of 64, or play around with it and end up leaving it on
    64. ;)

    > You can get some info on BIOS options here:
    >
    > http://www.rojakpot.com/freeBOG.aspx
    > http://www.rojakpot.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?Lang=0&bogno=32
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul