PCH-DR with ICP-Vortex GDT8586RZ

I am trying to setup a Asus PCH-DR with a RAID-Controler ICP-Vortex
GDT8586RZ (SATA).
There are 6 HDs on this controler 2x120GB as RAID1 for system und 4x250GB
for Applicationdata (Exchange Server 2003) as RAID5 + Hotfix.
The system won´t even boot if the controler has installed his bios into
memory (if there are no drives attached to the controler the bios is not
installed and the system boots up).

Bios of the PCH-DR: 1003 Beta 1

Any suggestions?

Paul

Splendid

In article <ce2cic$cpa$04$1@news.t-online.com>, "news.t-online.de"
<j.burghard@beckenbach.de> wrote:

> I am trying to setup a Asus PCH-DR with a RAID-Controler ICP-Vortex
> GDT8586RZ (SATA).
> There are 6 HDs on this controler 2x120GB as RAID1 for system und 4x250GB
> for Applicationdata (Exchange Server 2003) as RAID5 + Hotfix.
> The system won´t even boot if the controler has installed his bios into
> memory (if there are no drives attached to the controler the bios is not
> installed and the system boots up).
>
> Bios of the PCH-DR: 1003 Beta 1
>
> Any suggestions?

Disable the Promise 20378 RAID controller ?

As I understand it, when RAID BIOS load, they use low memory (640K zone),
and can conflict with one another. Try disabling any other RAID BIOS,
and see if the Vortex will load.

Just the RAID BIOS needs to be disabled, and it is possible a chip
can still be used by the OS, for running a data only RAID array.
But the RAID boot disk needs its RAID BIOS, in order to get BIOS
support for I/O operations at boot time.

Asus is making it harder to help people, by not making a PDF
version of the manual for this board available.

Paul

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> In article <ce2cic$cpa$04$1@news.t-online.com>, "news.t-online.de"
> <j.burghard@beckenbach.de> wrote:
>
> > I am trying to setup a Asus PCH-DR with a RAID-Controler ICP-Vortex
> > GDT8586RZ (SATA).
> > There are 6 HDs on this controler 2x120GB as RAID1 for system und
4x250GB
> > for Applicationdata (Exchange Server 2003) as RAID5 + Hotfix.
> > The system won´t even boot if the controler has installed his bios into
> > memory (if there are no drives attached to the controler the bios is not
> > installed and the system boots up).
> >
> > Bios of the PCH-DR: 1003 Beta 1
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Disable the Promise 20378 RAID controller ?

I already disabled everything an the board:
- both LAN-devices (by jumper)
- 6300 RAID-controler (by jumper)
- onboard VGA (by jumper)
- Printerport (by bios)
- serialport(s) (by bios)
- IDE-Controlers (by bios)
but it didn´t work.

The strange thing is that i have a spare SCSI-Raid-Controler by Vortex
(GDT8523RZ) and this one works perfect in the PCH-DR.

The support from Asus has no solution for my problem and told me to wait for
an answer from Taiwan but i think this could take a LONG time.