CD Drive is not accessible Incorrect function

I have both devices (DVD & CD Writer) on my computer screen. System shows that those are working properly.
If I restart my computer with CDs in these drives I can see and work with these CDs.
I am getting "CD Drive is not accessible Incorrect function" error when I try to see/run CD if I replace CD with another one or I restart the computer without any CD in these drives.
Please help ASAP.
Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about drive accessible incorrect function

    Hi,

    QUESTION:
    ===========
    I have both devices (DVD & CD Writer) on my computer screen. System shows
    that those are working properly.
    If I restart my computer with CDs in these drives I can see and work with
    these CDs.
    I am getting "CD Drive is not accessible Incorrect function" error when I
    try to see/run CD if I replace CD with another one or I restart the
    computer without any CD in these drives.

    SOLUTION:
    ===========
    Please see KB Article # 315350 "Incorrect function" error message when you
    access the CD-ROM drive, the DVD-ROM drive, or the CD-RW drive at
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315350

    Please Visit the KB Article for the full content.

    CAUSE
    -----------
    This problem may occur if the CD recording program from Roxio Easy CD
    Creator is installed on the computer, and if the version of the CD
    recording program is not compatible with Windows XP.

    Easy CD Creator version 4.x and earlier versions are not supported in
    Windows XP.

    RESOLUTION
    ----------------------
    To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods, depending on
    your situation:
    If you have Easy CD Creator 3.x or 4.x, remove the program from the
    computer, and then contact Roxio to upgrade to a version of Easy CD Creator
    that is supported in Windows XP. For more information about how to remove
    the program from your computer, contact Roxio or see the program
    documentation.

    To contact Roxio, visit the following Roxio Web site:
    http://www.roxio.com

    If you have Easy CD Creator 5.0x, install the Windows XP update for Easy CD
    Creator that is available from Roxio. For more information about how to
    download and install the update, visit the following Roxio Web site:
    http://www.roxio.com/en/support/index.jhtml

    Hope this helps ...... :)

    Ashok (Ashokan Achari)

    The Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    Ashok,
    I already did all these and I still have the problem.

    Hi,

    QUESTION:
    ===========
    I have both devices (DVD & CD Writer) on my computer screen. System shows
    that those are working properly.
    If I restart my computer with CDs in these drives I can see and work with
    these CDs. I am getting "CD Drive is not accessible Incorrect function"
    error when I try to see/run CD if I replace CD with another one or I
    restart the computer without any CD in these drives.

    SOLUTION:
    ===========
    You have tried the KB Article # 315350 "Incorrect function" error message
    when you access the CD-ROM drive, the DVD-ROM drive, or the CD-RW drive at
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315350

    FURTHER ANALYSIS:
    ===================
    1. Do you have any third-party CD burning software ? If yes, please
    uninstall and reinstall the software. Also visit the site and update any
    new drivers or patches for XP
    2. Have you recently installed any software ? Please uninstall and see if
    that helps

    OR

    Delete these keys: (take a backup before you delete)

    HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4 2K
    HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k
    HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf
    HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr

    Hope this helps ...... :)

    Ashok (Ashokan Achari)

    The Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    I could not solve the problem.

    Hi,

    QUESTION:
    ===========
    I have both devices (DVD & CD Writer) on my computer screen. System shows
    that those are working properly.
    If I restart my computer with CDs in these drives I can see and work with
    these CDs. I am getting "CD Drive is not accessible Incorrect function"
    error when I try to see/run CD if I replace CD with another one or I
    restart the computer without any CD in these drives.

    SOLUTION:
    ===========
    Please provide the Hardware information of the CD Rom with the issue. Is
    it IDE/USB etc?
    If the CD Rom has drivers, please try uninstalling and reinstalling the
    software.

    Do you have any CD Recording Software installed on your system ? If yes
    please visit:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;316529

    Also:

    Open "My Computer", then right click and select "Properties".
    Select the "Recording" tab and see if "Enable CD Recording on this Drive"
    is unchecked. If YES, please check it and see if that helps.

    Please also check if the CD Rom works on other PC's i.e. if you can test it.

    Hope this helps ...... :)

    Ashok (Ashokan Achari)

    The Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    No way to fix the problem.
    If you find anything that helps me please email to trreefer@yahoo.com
    thanks.

    Microsoft is only talking about Easy CD Creator as the culprit for
    this error.

    However, I still get this error without any CD/DVD burning software
    installed on my Windows XP installation. The installation was built up
    from scratch (a formatted partition) and has never "seen" any CD/DVD
    burning software except the built-in WinXP functions. Windows Update
    was used to install all patches except Windows MovieMaker, Journal
    Viewer and Windows Messenger. My system has a Samsung CDRW burner (no
    DVD reading/writing) and a NuTech DDW-082 DVD/CD burner. Both have
    been upgraded to their latest firmware versions.

    To add further to this, until a week ago I used Windows 2000
    Professional which also started producing this error a few weeks ago,
    which led me to think that I should upgrade to WinXP. So it's not a
    Win2000 issue as someone stated in a newsgroup.

    The error is provoked by inserting a blank or written DVD+RW disk in
    the NuTech DDW-082 drive and trying to access its contents in Windows
    Explorer; a written DVD+R disk (by the DVD/CD burner in the same
    system) does show its contents in the normal fashion. Moreover, the
    error only occurs when the "Enable CD recording on this drive" is
    disabled; if it's enabled there is no error, but Explorer shows
    nothing for the written DVD+RW disk. The same disk, that had been
    written on the problematic PC with Nero before reinstalling a clean
    WinXP installation, will show its folders and files on my laptop
    (WinXP) that has only 1 DVD+RW burner.

    A few weeks ago everything was OK, but now this error often pops up. I
    always install the latest Windows Update patches and my guess would be
    that some Windows patch has introduced this bug. I don't know which
    patch, it takes me too much time to isolate it from the numerous
    updates.

    In short, Microsoft is wrong if they assume that only Easy CD Creator
    is causing this error.

    Microsoft are you listening? Please repair this!

Computers CD-Rom CD Drives Windows XP