Windows XP and Parallel Port Scanners?

I have an older Cannon scanner that connects through a printer port.
No matter what I do, XP will not recognize it in the
Camera/Scanners section in Control Panel. Is XP simply not looking for
or expecting a scanner to be connected in this manner? The scanner does
work, but it will not allow the printer(also parallel) to be connected
via the "pass through" connection on the scanner. I think it odd that I
can't even get scanner drivers to SHOW in the "add hardware" under
Cameras/Scanners. Am I reading this limitation correctly, or is there a
way to get the scanner fully recognized in XP? ;-Deano
6 answers Last reply
More about windows parallel port scanners

    Windows XP does not support pass-through or daisy-chaining
    the printer and scanner.

    "Deano" <dtwo@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    | I have an older Cannon scanner that connects through a
    printer port.
    | No matter what I do, XP will not recognize it in the
    | Camera/Scanners section in Control Panel. Is XP simply
    not looking for
    | or expecting a scanner to be connected in this manner?
    The scanner does
    | work, but it will not allow the printer(also parallel) to
    be connected
    | via the "pass through" connection on the scanner. I think
    it odd that I
    | can't even get scanner drivers to SHOW in the "add
    hardware" under
    | Cameras/Scanners. Am I reading this limitation correctly,
    or is there a
    | way to get the scanner fully recognized in XP? ;-Deano

    Oh Well!, another loss of functionality in a new windows version!
    Too bad, Win98SE would support a scanner, zip drive, and a printer on a
    single parallel port.
    (If the drivers and printer monitor were compatable.)

    > Windows XP does not support pass-through or daisy-chaining
    > the printer and scanner.

    > "Deano" <dtwo@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > | I have an older Cannon scanner that connects through a
    > printer port.
    > | No matter what I do, XP will not recognize it in the
    > | Camera/Scanners section in Control Panel. Is XP simply
    > not looking for
    > | or expecting a scanner to be connected in this manner?
    > The scanner does
    > | work, but it will not allow the printer(also parallel) to
    > be connected
    > | via the "pass through" connection on the scanner. I think
    > it odd that I
    > | can't even get scanner drivers to SHOW in the "add
    > hardware" under
    > | Cameras/Scanners. Am I reading this limitation correctly,
    > or is there a
    > | way to get the scanner fully recognized in XP? ;-Deano

    Just for information.

    I have WinXP Home and have my Iomega Zip 100 connected to the parallel
    port. I also have my HP DeskJet 970cse connected via the pass thru port on
    the Zip drive. Each works fine, never had a problem at all. I also have
    added a Netgear router to my system and use a wireless card for my laptop.
    The HP DJ970cse is configured so as to allow me to print from the laptop or
    directly from the desktop.

    Fred

    Chuck wrote:

    > Oh Well!, another loss of functionality in a new windows version!
    > Too bad, Win98SE would support a scanner, zip drive, and a printer on a
    > single parallel port.
    > (If the drivers and printer monitor were compatable.)
    >
    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    > > Windows XP does not support pass-through or daisy-chaining
    > > the printer and scanner.
    > >

    > > --
    > > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    > >

    > > "Deano" <dtwo@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > | I have an older Cannon scanner that connects through a
    > > printer port.
    > > | No matter what I do, XP will not recognize it in the
    > > | Camera/Scanners section in Control Panel. Is XP simply
    > > not looking for
    > > | or expecting a scanner to be connected in this manner?
    > > The scanner does
    > > | work, but it will not allow the printer(also parallel) to
    > > be connected
    > > | via the "pass through" connection on the scanner. I think
    > > it odd that I
    > > | can't even get scanner drivers to SHOW in the "add
    > > hardware" under
    > > | Cameras/Scanners. Am I reading this limitation correctly,
    > > or is there a
    > > | way to get the scanner fully recognized in XP? ;-Deano

    Go to Canon's web site and see if they have XP drivers for your scanner.

    http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprTSIndex.jsp?app=download

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:Xwjuc.76776$tb4.2707012@news20.bellglobal.com,
    Deano <dtwo@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
    > I have an older Cannon scanner that connects through a printer
    > port. No matter what I do, XP will not recognize it in the
    > Camera/Scanners section in Control Panel. Is XP simply not looking
    > for or expecting a scanner to be connected in this manner? The
    > scanner does work, but it will not allow the printer(also parallel)
    > to be connected via the "pass through" connection on the scanner. I
    > think it odd that I can't even get scanner drivers to SHOW in the
    > "add hardware" under Cameras/Scanners. Am I reading this limitation
    > correctly, or is there a way to get the scanner fully recognized in
    > XP? ;-Deano

    Oops. Maybe Canon, Canada

    http://www.canon.ca/english/index-customersupport.asp

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:eumuc.14789$3x.2575@attbi_s54,
    Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> hunted and pecked:

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 07:25:51 -0400, Deano <dtwo@sympatico.ca>
    wrote:

    > I have an older Cannon scanner that connects through a printer port.
    > No matter what I do, XP will not recognize it in the
    >Camera/Scanners section in Control Panel. Is XP simply not looking for
    >or expecting a scanner to be connected in this manner? The scanner does
    >work, but it will not allow the printer(also parallel) to be connected
    >via the "pass through" connection on the scanner. I think it odd that I
    >can't even get scanner drivers to SHOW in the "add hardware" under
    >Cameras/Scanners. Am I reading this limitation correctly, or is there a
    >way to get the scanner fully recognized in XP? ;-Deano

    Don't expect XP to understand anything about older equipment.
    I've got an old scanmaker E3 parallel port scanner I use with my
    XP pro machine, and it does not show in the cams/scanners
    listing. Its driver shows up as an SCSI device (it was
    origionally designed to also work with a mac). It needs to be
    connected and turned on when the computer is booted (I can turn
    it off after boot). I get seven popups showing new hardware , but
    I just cancel them as XP gets totally confused if I don't. To
    scan, I use IrFanView, which calls up the Microteck software for
    the scanning. Just as a test, I connected my Lexmark parallel
    port printer to the to the pass through on the scanner cable, and
    it prints just fine. If your scanner has NT/2K drivers, you
    should be able to make it work. I also use a program called
    userport (search google for userport.zip) which allows user level
    access to the computer hardware, such as the printer ports. This
    might also allow older programs to access the parallel port if
    needed.

Scanners Windows XP