Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

VPN problem ppc 2003

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 1:50:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Dear all,

I'm trying to set up a MAPI connection through a VPN connection on my Ipaq
2210 PPC 2003 connected by WIFI to the internet.

I've got configured two connections, the first is called 'Hotspot', this one
is beeing used to connect to the Internet (wireless router) and is set as
the 'Connects to' connection of the Wireless Network. This connection works
fine, I'm able to browse the internet via pocket IE.

The second configuration is a VPN, PPTP to a Win2k server with RRAS.
The connection works fine if I try to connect using <=>. I register a VPN
connection on my Win2k server

When connected I'm not able to browse or ping any of the servers on the
network using vxUtil.
Looking at the info of vxIPConfig it looks not different when I'm
connecting with my home pc or notebook to the same VPN. Both of these
configurations work just fine.
I also noticed when I use pocket IE if connected to the vpn, the conenction
will be lost instantly...

The problem looks like a DNS problem but can't figure out where to look, as
mentioned home pc with the same vpn settings works just fine.
I've also tried the dns - ip hostfile program for PPC, but I don't think
this is the solution. I configured the IMAP settings direct at the office
network and when I ping the server name it's still resolves the IP address
of the server.

Has someone a solution to this problem? I'm new to PPC looked several sites
and forums but havn't found much info which complies to this issue.

CHU!

Eric

More about : vpn problem ppc 2003

Anonymous
June 14, 2004 1:50:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Eric Spijk" <espijk@tiscali.nl> wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>I'm trying to set up a MAPI connection through a VPN connection on my Ipaq
>2210 PPC 2003 connected by WIFI to the internet.

First of all, you can't do MAPI connections. POP3, IMAP4 or
ActiveSync.

>I've got configured two connections, the first is called 'Hotspot', this one
>is beeing used to connect to the Internet (wireless router) and is set as
>the 'Connects to' connection of the Wireless Network. This connection works
>fine, I'm able to browse the internet via pocket IE.

Cool. So far, so good.

>The second configuration is a VPN, PPTP to a Win2k server with RRAS.
>The connection works fine if I try to connect using <=>. I register a VPN
>connection on my Win2k server
>
>When connected I'm not able to browse or ping any of the servers on the
>network using vxUtil.
>Looking at the info of vxIPConfig it looks not different when I'm
>connecting with my home pc or notebook to the same VPN. Both of these
>configurations work just fine.

Strange. Is the RRAS server seeing it? Anything in the logs? Is it
registering in the DNS settings of your DNS server?

>I also noticed when I use pocket IE if connected to the vpn, the conenction
>will be lost instantly...

That is because Pocket IE needs and INTERNET connection assuming a
www.yahoo.com style URL, as opposed to http:\\corp.servername or
something like that. Hate the Work/Internet stuff. :-(

>The problem looks like a DNS problem but can't figure out where to look, as
>mentioned home pc with the same vpn settings works just fine.
>I've also tried the dns - ip hostfile program for PPC, but I don't think
>this is the solution. I configured the IMAP settings direct at the office
>network and when I ping the server name it's still resolves the IP address
>of the server.
>
>Has someone a solution to this problem? I'm new to PPC looked several sites
>and forums but havn't found much info which complies to this issue.

This sounds like a networking issue with your domain more than the
PPC. Unfortunately, the PPC can be less forgiving than an XP box if
WINS, DNS or DHCP settings aren't right. Is your DHCP server
configured to point to the WINS and DNS server?
--
__________________________________________________________________________________
Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 9:18:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

What ever you need to access in your vpn network, you should include it as
an "Excpetion" in your network settings. Otherwise, PPC will assume that
you are connecting to the Internet (anything with "." is considered an
Internet address) and will disconnect your VPN straight away.

"Eric Spijk" <espijk@tiscali.nl> wrote in message
news:uWDy2%23XUEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Dear all,
>
> I'm trying to set up a MAPI connection through a VPN connection on my Ipaq
> 2210 PPC 2003 connected by WIFI to the internet.
>
> I've got configured two connections, the first is called 'Hotspot', this
one
> is beeing used to connect to the Internet (wireless router) and is set as
> the 'Connects to' connection of the Wireless Network. This connection
works
> fine, I'm able to browse the internet via pocket IE.
>
> The second configuration is a VPN, PPTP to a Win2k server with RRAS.
> The connection works fine if I try to connect using <=>. I register a VPN
> connection on my Win2k server
>
> When connected I'm not able to browse or ping any of the servers on the
> network using vxUtil.
> Looking at the info of vxIPConfig it looks not different when I'm
> connecting with my home pc or notebook to the same VPN. Both of these
> configurations work just fine.
> I also noticed when I use pocket IE if connected to the vpn, the
conenction
> will be lost instantly...
>
> The problem looks like a DNS problem but can't figure out where to look,
as
> mentioned home pc with the same vpn settings works just fine.
> I've also tried the dns - ip hostfile program for PPC, but I don't think
> this is the solution. I configured the IMAP settings direct at the office
> network and when I ping the server name it's still resolves the IP address
> of the server.
>
> Has someone a solution to this problem? I'm new to PPC looked several
sites
> and forums but havn't found much info which complies to this issue.
>
> CHU!
>
> Eric
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 9:18:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Would you same information about "exception" settings apply to using a
PPC to attach to a WinXp network share?

When im attaching I get this error saying that my VPN can connect.
How is that possible when Im not a VPN, but my home LAN?

SH


"int_spy" <int_spy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Oh7bhAfUEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> What ever you need to access in your vpn network, you should include it as
> an "Excpetion" in your network settings. Otherwise, PPC will assume that
> you are connecting to the Internet (anything with "." is considered an
> Internet address) and will disconnect your VPN straight away.
>
> "Eric Spijk" <espijk@tiscali.nl> wrote in message
> news:uWDy2%23XUEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I'm trying to set up a MAPI connection through a VPN connection on my Ipaq
> > 2210 PPC 2003 connected by WIFI to the internet.
> >
> > I've got configured two connections, the first is called 'Hotspot', this
> one
> > is beeing used to connect to the Internet (wireless router) and is set as
> > the 'Connects to' connection of the Wireless Network. This connection
> works
> > fine, I'm able to browse the internet via pocket IE.
> >
> > The second configuration is a VPN, PPTP to a Win2k server with RRAS.
> > The connection works fine if I try to connect using <=>. I register a VPN
> > connection on my Win2k server
> >
> > When connected I'm not able to browse or ping any of the servers on the
> > network using vxUtil.
> > Looking at the info of vxIPConfig it looks not different when I'm
> > connecting with my home pc or notebook to the same VPN. Both of these
> > configurations work just fine.
> > I also noticed when I use pocket IE if connected to the vpn, the
> conenction
> > will be lost instantly...
> >
> > The problem looks like a DNS problem but can't figure out where to look,
> as
> > mentioned home pc with the same vpn settings works just fine.
> > I've also tried the dns - ip hostfile program for PPC, but I don't think
> > this is the solution. I configured the IMAP settings direct at the office
> > network and when I ping the server name it's still resolves the IP address
> > of the server.
> >
> > Has someone a solution to this problem? I'm new to PPC looked several
> sites
> > and forums but havn't found much info which complies to this issue.
> >
> > CHU!
> >
> > Eric
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 11:05:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"int_spy" <int_spy@hotmail.com> wrote:

>What ever you need to access in your vpn network, you should include it as
>an "Excpetion" in your network settings. Otherwise, PPC will assume that
>you are connecting to the Internet (anything with "." is considered an
>Internet address) and will disconnect your VPN straight away.

No it isn't. Anything that is fully qualified is, like www.server.com
- but corp.servername is a WORK name and should NOT be in the
exceptions.
--
__________________________________________________________________________________
Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 12:05:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
<spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
news:78rpc05or5pcjmjepkbq645cu510iiokhp@4ax.com...
> "Eric Spijk" <espijk@tiscali.nl> wrote:
>
> >Dear all,
> >
> >I'm trying to set up a MAPI connection through a VPN connection on my
Ipaq
> >2210 PPC 2003 connected by WIFI to the internet.
>
> First of all, you can't do MAPI connections. POP3, IMAP4 or
> ActiveSync.

Sorry, I meant IMAP4

>
> >I've got configured two connections, the first is called 'Hotspot', this
one
> >is beeing used to connect to the Internet (wireless router) and is set as
> >the 'Connects to' connection of the Wireless Network. This connection
works
> >fine, I'm able to browse the internet via pocket IE.
>
> Cool. So far, so good.

Yes

>
> >The second configuration is a VPN, PPTP to a Win2k server with RRAS.
> >The connection works fine if I try to connect using <=>. I register a VPN
> >connection on my Win2k server
> >
> >When connected I'm not able to browse or ping any of the servers on the
> >network using vxUtil.
> >Looking at the info of vxIPConfig it looks not different when I'm
> >connecting with my home pc or notebook to the same VPN. Both of these
> >configurations work just fine.
>
> Strange. Is the RRAS server seeing it? Anything in the logs? Is it
> registering in the DNS settings of your DNS server?

The RRAS sees my connection and log shows nothing spectacular
However I'm not able to find any setting in the DNS (win2K) ... I've
configured some static IP address for VPN connections.
I'm able to see with the host program on the ipaq that it receives a
'ppp_peer' hostname with one of the configured ip addresses (10.0.50.x)

>
> >I also noticed when I use pocket IE if connected to the vpn, the
conenction
> >will be lost instantly...
>
> That is because Pocket IE needs and INTERNET connection assuming a
> www.yahoo.com style URL, as opposed to http:\\corp.servername or
> something like that. Hate the Work/Internet stuff. :-(

Yes, terrible thing, by-the-way I added all the servers, in the Exception
list, even the 'ppp_peer'

>
> >The problem looks like a DNS problem but can't figure out where to look,
as
> >mentioned home pc with the same vpn settings works just fine.
> >I've also tried the dns - ip hostfile program for PPC, but I don't think
> >this is the solution. I configured the IMAP settings direct at the office
> >network and when I ping the server name it's still resolves the IP
address
> >of the server.
> >
> >Has someone a solution to this problem? I'm new to PPC looked several
sites
> >and forums but havn't found much info which complies to this issue.
>
> This sounds like a networking issue with your domain more than the
> PPC. Unfortunately, the PPC can be less forgiving than an XP box if
> WINS, DNS or DHCP settings aren't right. Is your DHCP server
> configured to point to the WINS and DNS server?
> --

DHCP service has the scope options, router, dns servers, dns domain name and
wins/nbns servers.
Even if the DNS is giving me the troubles, I should be able to ping a device
by it's IP address? Even that isn't working !?

As mentioned before my home pc (XP) or notebook (also XP) work just fine,
both are able to connect and ping the entire network.

>
____________________________________________________________________________
______
> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 12:05:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Eric Spijk" <espijk@tiscali.nl> wrote:

>> That is because Pocket IE needs and INTERNET connection assuming a
>> www.yahoo.com style URL, as opposed to http:\\corp.servername or
>> something like that. Hate the Work/Internet stuff. :-(
>
>Yes, terrible thing, by-the-way I added all the servers, in the Exception
>list, even the 'ppp_peer'

That only works for URLs, not Inbox, IM, Terminal Services, or any
other Connection Manager aware TCP/IP app. You might have so much
stuff in the exception list it is bombing out. The exception list was
primarly intended for fully qualified domain names in an intranet.
--
__________________________________________________________________________________
Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 4:43:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Ed,

I found the solution to my VPN problem. I was using the same network segment
(10.x.x.x) at home, as at work.
I changed my home IP range to 192.168.1.x and it works just fine now.

I'm now able to read mail from the Exchage 2K server with IMAP4.

Regards,

Eric

"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
<spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
news:v4fsc0pvm3lrsdhi94hoggr0lrj173rs3s@4ax.com...
> "Eric Spijk" <espijk@tiscali.nl> wrote:
>
> >> That is because Pocket IE needs and INTERNET connection assuming a
> >> www.yahoo.com style URL, as opposed to http:\\corp.servername or
> >> something like that. Hate the Work/Internet stuff. :-(
> >
> >Yes, terrible thing, by-the-way I added all the servers, in the Exception
> >list, even the 'ppp_peer'
>
> That only works for URLs, not Inbox, IM, Terminal Services, or any
> other Connection Manager aware TCP/IP app. You might have so much
> stuff in the exception list it is bombing out. The exception list was
> primarly intended for fully qualified domain names in an intranet.
> --
>
____________________________________________________________________________
______
> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 10:20:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Eric Spijk" <espijk@tiscali.nl> wrote:

>Ed,
>
>I found the solution to my VPN problem. I was using the same network segment
>(10.x.x.x) at home, as at work.
>I changed my home IP range to 192.168.1.x and it works just fine now.
>
>I'm now able to read mail from the Exchage 2K server with IMAP4.

That's great, but why were you overriding the DHCP settings? That
should set your IP address for you.
--
__________________________________________________________________________________
Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
!