Annoying Windows 7 instalation problem

liamthepirate

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I bought a 1tb Hitachi deskstar internal drive and when I try to fresh install , when it asks me to pick a hard drive it doesn't recognise any of them (even the ones that were working and I was using before I tried to add the new hard drive) I don't think the new hard drive needs drivers but not sure..

So what I really want is to start a fresh 64bit Windows copy and then copy the stuff I wanted from old hard drives ..
Pc been not working now for about a week..I'm sure I'm just missing something small but hope you guys can help

liamthepirate

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Ok there's a sata l shaped connector then a longer L shaped connector Guatemala matches the power cables then a small two pin thing on hdd I don't think that's needed..

When I boot without disk it says disk boot failure, insert system disk andd press enter

Check out this pic. The top is an IDE drive, the bottom is SATA. They are pretty easy to tell apart.

Some SATA drives have jumpers on them, to downclock to the SATA 1.5GB speed.

When trying to do a fresh install, you'll be booting off your DVD drive. So make sure that's the first boot device in the BIOS. You should at least be able to boot off that, even if it's not recognizing the hard drive(s).

liamthepirate

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Ye it is sata..its a new hdd but is there different types of sata? Or newer versions? This is pretty recent...but it brings me through Windows installation fine just when it comes to pick a hard drive nothing show and it gives me an option to load drivers..

And I can't just go back to my old c drive because I screwed up the order of the drives and now the file is missing for that..

Is there any drivers you need for doing a fresh install inn a hdd fresh out of the box?

Go into the BIOS, and verify that your drives are showing there. Also, verify that SATA is enabled in the BIOS.

Go to the motherboard manufacturer's website, and look for a SATA driver.

I thought all versions of W7 had SATA support, but I could be wrong there. What version of W7 are you installing? I trust that it's a legal version?

Jonmor68

Distinguished
I suspect that when it's giving an option to load drivers, that may be for a raid configaration. No drivers are required for standard sata instalation.
Check bios to see what mode the sata drives are in, if Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) then change it to IDE/PATA compatability and try again.

liamthepirate

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I am in integrated peripherals.. it says

1.chip IDE channel enabled
2.chip sata controller enabled
3. Chip sata type: native IDE ( or options of raid or ahci)

Then it says onchip sata port 4/5 type : IDE

Il post pics now of everything

liamthepirate

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I been reading things on Google..would it have to to with sata controller? Or would flashing the BIOS to a new version help.. I don't understand why everything stopped working when I plugged in new hdd

An outdated BIOS can cause a number of issues, but I would hope that your current BIOS was capable of recognizing hard drives attached to it's SATA ports.

This may be a dumb question, but have you tried disconnecting that hard drive, to see if your other SATA drives are recognized? You do have more than this 1 SATA device don't you?

Jonmor68

Distinguished
Did you remove the IDE drive when you installed the new drive? If not by adding the new drive the drive order may have changed.
If the IDE drive contained systems files then changing the drive order would give that error. So if you removed it reconnect it.
If you havn't changed the cables around since you have had this problem, try disconnecting the new drive to see if it boots up.
If it does, go into bios and check the order the drives are in. Then reconnect the new drive and go into bios again and make sure the new drive is set after the other two.

liamthepirate

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
yeah i think i did disconnect the IDE drive because the wires were in the way and im guessing that this is what has screwed it all up..

It just aint recognising any drives except dvd drive and usb flash drive .. Im so confused