AMD Athlon XP 1700+

Hello, I am currently having a problem that I can't seem to fix, and it
seems to crash applications. When I first start the computer, BIOS says
that I have an "Unknow CPU Type 1533MHz". When Windows detects CPU it
says "Unknow CPU Type" as well. I can't seem to fix this problem,
because it sometimes causes a BSOD with a "STOP" error. I think my video
card may have some problems too, because some times it lists an nVIDIA
driver as the "STOP" error. Any suggestions?

This Computer:
-GenuineAMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.53GHz
-MSI K7T TURBO2 Mainboard
-(Brand New!) Western Digital WD400 40GB 7200RPM 4MB Cache
-Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
-(Disconnected) Iomega Internal IDE ZIP100
-Standard NEC 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
-MSI AC'97 On board Audio
-nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP8X
-(Primary) Creative SoundBlaster Live! WDM Value
-Agere Systems Standard 56K Communication Device
-Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter
-Windows XP Professional SP1 Corporate
-New Security Updates

Mainly, these problems occur when playing games, or using Adobe
Photoshop. The software I have tried is:

-HALO: Combat Evolved (WILL NOT START!)
-Unreal Tournament 2003 (nv4_disp.dll error!)
-Grand Theft Auto III (Unexpected Exception!)
-The Thing (BSOD in middle of game!)
-Adobe Photoshop 6 (System hangs and reboots.)
-Quake III Arena (Game just hangs and exits in game.)
-James Bond 007: Nightfire (WILL NOT START!)

This is very annoying, as I just installed Windows XP for the 20,000th
time, and if you could help it would be appreciated.

Storm

"UN-KNOWN CPU", Seems like your CPU is running a little
faster than it should This will cause problems in games &
graphics programs (been there)

:- AMD 1.7 Athlon runs around @ 1446MHz not 1533MHz,an
AMD 1.8 runs around @1533. Check to see if you have your
Dip-Switches set correctly on your mainboard to produce
the correct running frequency & voltage. if you have a
Mainboard that support "RedStorm" overclocking utility,(
IN BIOS settings under frequency) set you CPU back to
default:
DEFAULT:-
CPU INTENAL FREQUENCY = 133.3MHz
PCI FREQUENCY = 33.3 MHz
FSB FREQUENCY = 266MHz
------------------------------------

AMD packing info:

on the top side of the CPU ( good idea to right this down
before installing CPU) it`ll say something like:
(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)(7)(8)
Ax Dx 1700 D L T 3 C

[1]
Ax = AMD ATHLON TYPE ?x
Dx = DURON TYPE?x
[2]
Dx = DESKTOP COMPUTER (cpu type)
[3]
1700 = RUNNING SPEED
[4]
(PACKING TYPE)
A = PGA D= OPGA {M =CARD MODULE}
[5]
OPERATING VOLTAGE
M = 1.75v N=1.8v
{S=1.5v U=1.6v P=1.7v }
[6]
CASE TEMP
T=90 deg "c" S=95 deg "c"
[7]
SIZE OF THE L2 CACHE
1= 64Kbyte 2=128Kbyte 3= 256Kbyte

[8]
MAX FSB
A or B= 200Mhz C or OTHERS= 266Mhz
Further info :

http://www.amd.com/us-
en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/Electrical_Speci
fication_Rev04_ENG.pdf

Have a nice day

Storm

Storm wrote:

> "UN-KNOWN CPU", Seems like your CPU is running a little
> faster than it should This will cause problems in games &
> graphics programs (been there)
>
> :- AMD 1.7 Athlon runs around @ 1446MHz not 1533MHz,an
> AMD 1.8 runs around @1533. Check to see if you have your
> Dip-Switches set correctly on your mainboard to produce
> the correct running frequency & voltage. if you have a
> Mainboard that support "RedStorm" overclocking utility,(
> IN BIOS settings under frequency) set you CPU back to
> default:
> DEFAULT:-
> CPU INTENAL FREQUENCY = 133.3MHz
> PCI FREQUENCY = 33.3 MHz
> FSB FREQUENCY = 266MHz
> ------------------------------------
>
> AMD packing info:
>
> on the top side of the CPU ( good idea to right this down
> before installing CPU) it`ll say something like:
> (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)(7)(8)
> Ax Dx 1700 D L T 3 C
>
> [1]
> Ax = AMD ATHLON TYPE ?x
> Dx = DURON TYPE?x
> [2]
> Dx = DESKTOP COMPUTER (cpu type)
> [3]
> 1700 = RUNNING SPEED
> [4]
> (PACKING TYPE)
> A = PGA D= OPGA {M =CARD MODULE}
> [5]
> OPERATING VOLTAGE
> M = 1.75v N=1.8v
> {S=1.5v U=1.6v P=1.7v }
> [6]
> CASE TEMP
> T=90 deg "c" S=95 deg "c"
> [7]
> SIZE OF THE L2 CACHE
> 1= 64Kbyte 2=128Kbyte 3= 256Kbyte
>
> [8]
> MAX FSB
> A or B= 200Mhz C or OTHERS= 266Mhz
> Further info :
>
> http://www.amd.com/us-
> en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/Electrical_Speci
> fication_Rev04_ENG.pdf
>
> Have a nice day
>
> Storm
>
>>------End of Message------<

Storm, I wanted to ask you, could updating BIOS fix this?
By the way, what's really disturbing is that there's no ending "N" in
the "unknown" CPU detected! ex: "Unknow CPU TYPE"

You need to update your bios so that the motherboard recognizes the CPU.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"[UltGC] Administration Center" <host@ultgcgaming.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I am currently having a problem that I can't seem to fix, and it
> seems to crash applications. When I first start the computer, BIOS says
> that I have an "Unknow CPU Type 1533MHz". When Windows detects CPU it
> says "Unknow CPU Type" as well. I can't seem to fix this problem,
> because it sometimes causes a BSOD with a "STOP" error. I think my video
> card may have some problems too, because some times it lists an nVIDIA
> driver as the "STOP" error. Any suggestions?
>
> This Computer:
> -GenuineAMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.53GHz
> -MSI K7T TURBO2 Mainboard
> -(Brand New!) Western Digital WD400 40GB 7200RPM 4MB Cache
> -Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
> -(Disconnected) Iomega Internal IDE ZIP100
> -Standard NEC 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
> -MSI AC'97 On board Audio
> -nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP8X
> -(Primary) Creative SoundBlaster Live! WDM Value
> -Agere Systems Standard 56K Communication Device
> -Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter
> -Windows XP Professional SP1 Corporate
> -New Security Updates
>
> Mainly, these problems occur when playing games, or using Adobe
> Photoshop. The software I have tried is:
>
> -HALO: Combat Evolved (WILL NOT START!)
> -Unreal Tournament 2003 (nv4_disp.dll error!)
> -Grand Theft Auto III (Unexpected Exception!)
> -The Thing (BSOD in middle of game!)
> -Adobe Photoshop 6 (System hangs and reboots.)
> -Quake III Arena (Game just hangs and exits in game.)
> -James Bond 007: Nightfire (WILL NOT START!)
>
> This is very annoying, as I just installed Windows XP for the 20,000th
> time, and if you could help it would be appreciated.

Updating the bios will fix your issue with the unknown CPU item.

--

> Storm wrote:
>
> > "UN-KNOWN CPU", Seems like your CPU is running a little
> > faster than it should This will cause problems in games &
> > graphics programs (been there)
> >
> > :- AMD 1.7 Athlon runs around @ 1446MHz not 1533MHz,an
> > AMD 1.8 runs around @1533. Check to see if you have your
> > Dip-Switches set correctly on your mainboard to produce
> > the correct running frequency & voltage. if you have a
> > Mainboard that support "RedStorm" overclocking utility,(
> > IN BIOS settings under frequency) set you CPU back to
> > default:
> > DEFAULT:-
> > CPU INTENAL FREQUENCY = 133.3MHz
> > PCI FREQUENCY = 33.3 MHz
> > FSB FREQUENCY = 266MHz
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > AMD packing info:
> >
> > on the top side of the CPU ( good idea to right this down
> > before installing CPU) it`ll say something like:
> > (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)(7)(8)
> > Ax Dx 1700 D L T 3 C
> >
> > [1]
> > Ax = AMD ATHLON TYPE ?x
> > Dx = DURON TYPE?x
> > [2]
> > Dx = DESKTOP COMPUTER (cpu type)
> > [3]
> > 1700 = RUNNING SPEED
> > [4]
> > (PACKING TYPE)
> > A = PGA D= OPGA {M =CARD MODULE}
> > [5]
> > OPERATING VOLTAGE
> > M = 1.75v N=1.8v
> > {S=1.5v U=1.6v P=1.7v }
> > [6]
> > CASE TEMP
> > T=90 deg "c" S=95 deg "c"
> > [7]
> > SIZE OF THE L2 CACHE
> > 1= 64Kbyte 2=128Kbyte 3= 256Kbyte
> >
> > [8]
> > MAX FSB
> > A or B= 200Mhz C or OTHERS= 266Mhz
> > Further info :
> >
> > http://www.amd.com/us-
> > en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/Electrical_Speci
> > fication_Rev04_ENG.pdf
> >
> > Have a nice day
> >
> > Storm
> >
> >>------End of Message------<
>
> Storm, I wanted to ask you, could updating BIOS fix this?
> By the way, what's really disturbing is that there's no ending "N" in
> the "unknown" CPU detected! ex: "Unknow CPU TYPE"

Storm

Yes, updating your MAINBOARD BIOS should sort out this
problem, Go to your boards manufacture site, & find
Updates.

You will have to "Flash" your Bios for a better version.
your old version should be listed when you computer first
starts in the screens top left corner so you know what
version to upgrade from. If you find out your bios is the
most recent version, either look through the support pages
for CPU support on the boards site, & check your settings
for your CPU.

Note: when flashing your BIOS, its done via a floppy disk
with a program such as, AWD55 or Award flash, your
mainboard site should have it with the bios updated
version.

All file names have to be typed as is & always includes
extension: eg: mybios.bak isnt the same as Mybios.bak or
mybios [so write down on a piece of paper the exact
name of the new file /bios to be burnt to your board]
Always back your old bios, & keep a copy. AWD55 will ask
you to back it up before loading the new version.

have a nice day

Storm

&

(
>> IN BIOS settings under frequency) set you CPU back to
>> default:
>> DEFAULT:-
>> CPU INTENAL FREQUENCY = 133.3MHz
>> PCI FREQUENCY = 33.3 MHz
>> FSB FREQUENCY = 266MHz
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> AMD packing info:
>>
>> on the top side of the CPU ( good idea to right this
down
>> before installing CPU) it`ll say something like:
>> (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)(7)(8)
>> Ax Dx 1700 D L T 3 C
>>
>> [1]
>> Ax = AMD ATHLON TYPE ?x
>> Dx = DURON TYPE?x
>> [2]
>> Dx = DESKTOP COMPUTER (cpu type)
>> [3]
>> 1700 = RUNNING SPEED
>> [4]
>> (PACKING TYPE)
>> A = PGA D= OPGA {M =CARD MODULE}
>> [5]
>> OPERATING VOLTAGE
>> M = 1.75v N=1.8v
>> {S=1.5v U=1.6v P=1.7v }
>> [6]
>> CASE TEMP
>> T=90 deg "c" S=95 deg "c"
>> [7]
>> SIZE OF THE L2 CACHE
>> 1= 64Kbyte 2=128Kbyte 3= 256Kbyte
>>
>> [8]
>> MAX FSB
>> A or B= 200Mhz C or OTHERS= 266Mhz
>> Further info :
>>
>> http://www.amd.com/us-

en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/Electrical_Speci
>> fication_Rev04_ENG.pdf
>>
>> Have a nice day
>>
>> Storm
>>
>>>------End of Message------<
>
>Storm, I wanted to ask you, could updating BIOS fix this?
>By the way, what's really disturbing is that there's no
ending "N" in
>the "unknown" CPU detected! ex: "Unknow CPU TYPE"
>.

Thank you all for answering my questions, I will get back to you if
flashing and updating BIOS will work. Once again, thank you for your
assistance!