P4C800-E deLuxe boots very slow

Hi All,

i've bought a new mainboard because the last one is gone while a lightning
hits our house. So i've bought the Asus P4C800-E deLuxe together with 1 GB
Ram (2x512 MB), a 3.0 GHz Prescott and a new PSU. Yesterday i've assembled
my machine and all was running fine. Today i want to power on my machine
and it lasts more than a minute to get behind the bootscreen (this asus
Ai-logo)! So i've tried to get into the bios-setup with entering the
del-key, and it lasts also more than a minute to get into it. In this time
it is nothing to see, in "normal" boot mode it displays the Asus Boot-Logo
and if i want to go into bios it hangs for a minute at "checking nvram".
What is this behaviour? Any hints?

thank you, Jens

--
Die o.a. Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen. Für Mails an mich bitte
"spamtrap" durch "jens.nixdorf" ersetzen.

I noticed that the only time that mine would hang like that was when I had
been dinking with the memory timings or going into turbo mode and doing some
feeble attempts at overclocking it and when I set the BIOS parameters back
to auto (or normal as the should be without OC'ing), the hang up stopped.
Dunno if this has anything to do with your situation.

MikeSp
-----------------------------

Michael S. schrieb:

> I noticed that the only time that mine would hang like that was when I had
> been dinking with the memory timings or going into turbo mode and doing some
> feeble attempts at overclocking it and when I set the BIOS parameters back
> to auto (or normal as the should be without OC'ing), the hang up stopped.
> Dunno if this has anything to do with your situation.
>
> MikeSp

Thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately it doesnt help, because
all timings are at "Auto" or "default". Since yesterday i also didnt
change any settings in the bios until i got these problems. First try
was to load bios defaults with F5, second was to clear the cmos with its
jumper. But nothing helps.

Now i see that my bios is 1016 beta 1, while at the asus-website
bios-version is 1016 (stable) or 1017 beta. I wonder if asus will ship a
new retail board with a beta bios? And anyone has experiences with the
newer bios-versions?

regards, Jens

Rocky

> Now i see that my bios is 1016 beta 1, while at the asus-website
> bios-version is 1016 (stable) or 1017 beta. I wonder if asus will ship a
> new retail board with a beta bios? And anyone has experiences with the
> newer bios-versions?

Run the asus update tool from your desktop. It will probably update itself
to the latest version (5.28.01 and up is okay), then tell it to update your
bios automatically. Try that first. I have the same system specs as those
you posted, so if you want me to check any of my bios settings for
comparison just ask.

--
Rocky
www.jointopscentral.com | www.ghostrecon.net | www.agr-s.com |

__

Hi All,

finally i found it! And it's very strange to me, because it was my old
USB-1.1-Gamepad (Saitek P 750)! I have several hardware connected to my
comp through USB, one USB-2.0-HD and some USB-1.1-Stuff like a Canon
Scanner, a ISDN-Device and through a USB-Hab a second mouse (was to lazy to
disconnect),a HP-Deskjet, and this GamePad. And today morning i recognized
that my printer wasn't working so i connected the Hub and since then
Booting was soooo slooowww. At firts i disconnect all USB-Wires from my
comp. and then i connect one after each other, always with a boot
inbetween, so i could see that the gamepad was the reason. Strange!

My old comp. was a dell with same processor and chipset (i875) and Ram and
doesnt have this behaviour with the same USB-stuff at its back.

nevertheless thanks to all helpers, Jens