"My Computer" does not display external USB 2.0 hard drive

Under Windows XP Home Edition; after connecting an external USB 2.0 external hard drive, the drive does not appear in either “My Computer� or “Disk Management�. The drive is shown in “Device Manager� (as Mass Storage Device). Also, when I plug in the device I am taken though all the step to install a new hardware device. In addition, an icon in the System Tray displays that I can “Safely Remove Hardware�. I made sure that I have all the SP, updated the BIOS (I have a Dell Dimension 2350), and downloaded and install drivers. Any suggestions?

Is your disk formatted?

"blackrobot" <blackrobot@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:FB550B5A-9D8B-48DC-B073-E3F145B19D70@microsoft.com...
> Under Windows XP Home Edition; after connecting an external USB 2.0 external hard drive, the drive does not appear in
either “My Computer” or “Disk Management”. The drive is shown in “Device Manager” (as Mass Storage Device). Also, when
I plug in the device I am taken though all the step to install a new hardware device. In addition, an icon in the
System Tray displays that I can “Safely Remove Hardware”. I made sure that I have all the SP, updated the BIOS (I have
a Dell Dimension 2350), and downloaded and install drivers. Any suggestions?

Yes, the disk is formatted. When I purchased the disk, the tech assembled, formatted and tested the HD. It displayed on his test PC (which was running Win2000).

Ok, now check the power. If your drive has external power supply, connect it.
Otherwice plug the disk thru a powered hub.

"Blackrobot" <blackrobot@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:955B640A-A356-4A81-BC10-90E498108760@microsoft.com...
> Yes, the disk is formatted. When I purchased the disk, the tech assembled, formatted and tested the HD. It displayed
on his test PC (which was running Win2000).

Okay?!? I'm not sure what you mean. However, the external drive plugs directly into a power outlet. When I power the drive up, I hear the cylinders spinning and the power light comes on.

I have the exact same problem, except my hard drive shows up in computer
management, however, I can't assign a drive letter. Can anyone help??
http://img31.exs.cx/img31/22/hdd7hs.jpg

A picture for refernce to what I mean...

--
Epyon2050
Epyon2050's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=689

bar

Firstly you need to initialize new disks and then format them.

Using Disk Management system utility [for managing hard disks and the
partitions or volumes that they contain] you can create volumes, and format
volumes with the FAT, FAT32, or NTFS file systems.

Disk Management enables you to perform most disk-related tasks without
shutting down your computer; most configuration changes take effect
immediately.

"Epyon2050" wrote:

> I have the exact same problem, except my hard drive shows up in computer
> management, however, I can't assign a drive letter. Can anyone help??
> http://img31.exs.cx/img31/22/hdd7hs.jpg
>
> A picture for refernce to what I mean...
>

> --
> Epyon2050
> Epyon2050's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=689
> View this thread: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/showthread.phtml?t=14129

I've formatted it before. For some reason, this time when I booted my
computer the drive letter is unassigned and my drive did not show up in
My Computer. I formatted it and assigned it to drive R:. The picture
shows that I've already used about 30 GB of that HDD already.

--
Epyon2050
Epyon2050's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=689
View this thread: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/showthread.phtml?t=14129

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

Do you have Tweakui installed. If so you may have to go to the
drives section of Tweakui and place a check mark in the drive
designation for your external drive.

--

LEO

A word of advice . . . don't give it.

"Epyon2050" <Epyon2050.1ikqxo@news.nospam.local> wrote in message

> I have the exact same problem, except my hard drive shows up in
> computer
> management, however, I can't assign a drive letter. Can anyone
> help??
> http://img31.exs.cx/img31/22/hdd7hs.jpg
>
> A picture for refernce to what I mean...
>

> --
> Epyon2050
> Epyon2050's Profile:
> http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=689
> View this thread:
> http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/showthread.phtml?t=14129

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

What is the drive letter?

--

LEO

A word of advice . . . don't give it.

"Epyon2050" <Epyon2050.1io2dq@news.nospam.local> wrote in message

> All of the drives are checked in Tweakui... but my removable
> drive isn't
> on any of those letters...
>

> --
> Epyon2050
> Epyon2050's Profile:
> http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=689
> View this thread:
> http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/showthread.phtml?t=14129

I've seen this when the USB port does not support the required
voltages/currents needed for high-powered devices. Mice and keyboards (and
other low-current hardware devices) seem to work, but the high-current
drives don't. Try one of the USB ports that's driven from a powered USB hub
(hopefully 2.0) or the motherboard directly.

--
William (Bill) Vaughn