samsung ml2550 vs Brother HL6050D &HP4200

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Has anyone experience with either or both of these printers?

They seem reasonably comparable but I have a few questions.

1. Both have a straight through face up output but the Brother states
that you must take each sheet away as it comes out or paper may jam or
curl. Is this really an big issue? (I do a lot of sheets of labels and
would like to let at least a few pile up before I have to panic).

2. The Samsung is on version 1 of its software and that's never a good
thing. Is it?

3. How do each handle PostScript (are the emulations good)?

4. Are they full speed at 1200 res?

Currently I have a Lexmark Optra R+ which has good PS emulation but
abysmal single sheet feed. It will only take one sheet at a time and
if you insert the sheet (which it will pull in and index) before it
actually asks for the sheet it declares a paper jam.
It also slows to half-speed (8 pages) when doing 1200 res.
And then there's the broken plastic part which anchored the spring
which controls the pressure of one of the paper conveyance rollers.

I was going to get an HP 4200 but HP seems to be somewhat behind
compared to these two printers. No duplex without an expensive option,
no USB 2 connection and apparently very slow mixed text and graphics
speed compared to text only.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Rob

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I wouldn't buy a 4200 if it was on sale for $10. Well, maybe for $10... :)

HP went to the "Instant-On" Fuser on this model. Yes, that means it has the
dreaded Mylar cover over the heater area.

If you've never owned a printer with this design, you haven't felt misery...

They tear at the slightest crinkle in the paper, or heaven forbid, a sticky
corner on a label.

And no, you can't buy a $2 replacement Mylar Tube. The fusr is several
hundred dollars and that's what they force you to buy, and they will NOT
cover it under warranty.

Larry

"Rob" <tele*deletethis*manr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone experience with either or both of these printers?
>
> They seem reasonably comparable but I have a few questions.
>
> 1. Both have a straight through face up output but the Brother states
> that you must take each sheet away as it comes out or paper may jam or
> curl. Is this really an big issue? (I do a lot of sheets of labels and
> would like to let at least a few pile up before I have to panic).
>
> 2. The Samsung is on version 1 of its software and that's never a good
> thing. Is it?
>
> 3. How do each handle PostScript (are the emulations good)?
>
> 4. Are they full speed at 1200 res?
>
> Currently I have a Lexmark Optra R+ which has good PS emulation but
> abysmal single sheet feed. It will only take one sheet at a time and
> if you insert the sheet (which it will pull in and index) before it
> actually asks for the sheet it declares a paper jam.
> It also slows to half-speed (8 pages) when doing 1200 res.
> And then there's the broken plastic part which anchored the spring
> which controls the pressure of one of the paper conveyance rollers.
>
> I was going to get an HP 4200 but HP seems to be somewhat behind
> compared to these two printers. No duplex without an expensive option,
> no USB 2 connection and apparently very slow mixed text and graphics
> speed compared to text only.
>
> Any comments would be appreciated.
>
> Rob

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Larry" <none@none.com> wrote:

>I wouldn't buy a 4200 if it was on sale for $10. Well, maybe for $10... :)
>
>HP went to the "Instant-On" Fuser on this model. Yes, that means it has the
>dreaded Mylar cover over the heater area.
>
>If you've never owned a printer with this design, you haven't felt misery...
>
>They tear at the slightest crinkle in the paper, or heaven forbid, a sticky
>corner on a label.
>
>And no, you can't buy a $2 replacement Mylar Tube. The fusr is several
>hundred dollars and that's what they force you to buy, and they will NOT
>cover it under warranty.
>
>Larry
>
>"Rob" <tele*deletethis*manr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone experience with either or both of these printers?
>>
>> They seem reasonably comparable but I have a few questions.
>>
>> 1. Both have a straight through face up output but the Brother states
>> that you must take each sheet away as it comes out or paper may jam or
>> curl. Is this really an big issue? (I do a lot of sheets of labels and
>> would like to let at least a few pile up before I have to panic).
>>
>> 2. The Samsung is on version 1 of its software and that's never a good
>> thing. Is it?
>>
>> 3. How do each handle PostScript (are the emulations good)?
>>
>> 4. Are they full speed at 1200 res?
>>
>> Currently I have a Lexmark Optra R+ which has good PS emulation but
>> abysmal single sheet feed. It will only take one sheet at a time and
>> if you insert the sheet (which it will pull in and index) before it
>> actually asks for the sheet it declares a paper jam.
>> It also slows to half-speed (8 pages) when doing 1200 res.
>> And then there's the broken plastic part which anchored the spring
>> which controls the pressure of one of the paper conveyance rollers.
>>
>> I was going to get an HP 4200 but HP seems to be somewhat behind
>> compared to these two printers. No duplex without an expensive option,
>> no USB 2 connection and apparently very slow mixed text and graphics
>> speed compared to text only.
>>
>> Any comments would be appreciated.
>>
>> Rob

Thanks for the heads up on the fuser.
I've decided HP is behind the times anyway. It's currently about $400
more than a Samsung 2550 or the Brother.