Blank screen after BIOS flash

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2004 2:42:35 AM

Hi,

Just after I installed the motherboard, everything worked as expected: I
could enter the bios and boot my operating system.

The manual recommended updating the bios, so I downloaded revision 11 of the
a7v8x-x bios from the Asus website and updated using the ez-flash utility.
I rebooted the computer, but now it seemed to be very sluggish while
showing the big asus icon. While it waited only a split second when still
running the original bios, now there was a delay of +/- 5 seconds, and even
longer when I pressed some keys on my keyboard. It seemed as if a lot of
keystrokes were simply ignored: one had to get really lucky in order to
enter the bios or flash utility. It still booted fine though.

I decided to roll back to revision 3 of the bios which I downloaded from the
site too. This time I booted used from a Windows 98 CD and used the
AFlash.exe program. It gave me a warning that the bios I wanted to install
was older than the current one, but I installed it anyway. I rebooted
again, but now my screen remains entirely blank, no ouput at all! It
doesn't even seem to get any signal, since the led on my monitor remains
orange. No beeps either.

I have tried resetting the bios by removing the battery and setting the
short-out jumper, as described in the manual, but the problem remains.
Booting with a minimal configuration did not help things either. Any
thoughts about how to remedy the situation?

Thanks in advance,

Koen Vossen
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2004 2:42:36 AM

this may sound strange but it worked for me.....is your memory in dual
channel mode? remove on of the chips reboot. if it works you can reinsert
it after it boots sucsussfully.
Steve

!