Fastest CPU's on a A7M266-D?

What is the fastest CPU that can be run on a dual mobo A7M266-D?

Should I expect problems if I try to run 166 FSB CPU's?

I've got one XP Barton 2600+ 1.92G/333 MHz, if I buy another, should
they work as MP's without modding?
4 answers Last reply
More about fastest a7m266

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 18:42:36 +0300, KL <nospam@koti.luukku.com> wrote:

    >What is the fastest CPU that can be run on a dual mobo A7M266-D?

    For 2-way it looks like Athlon MP 2800+ (Model 10) is the fastest that
    is officially supported.
    You can find CPU support for Asus motherboards here,
    http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    >Should I expect problems if I try to run 166 FSB CPU's?

    It may just run slower, If you run a 333 CPU on a 266 bus then you will
    have to raise the cpu multiplier to compensate for the slower bus speed,
    I haven't kept up with all the AMD tricks, but I believe the XP-M
    (mobil) chips are still multiplier unlocked.

    >I've got one XP Barton 2600+ 1.92G/333 MHz, if I buy another, should
    >they work as MP's without modding?

    1st hit on google.. ("Barton XP to Barton MP")
    Modding the Barton XP to a Barton MP
    http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=2&id=747&pg=

    hth,
    Ed

    >>Should I expect problems if I try to run 166 FSB CPU's?
    >
    > It may just run slower, If you run a 333 CPU on a 266 bus then you will
    > have to raise the cpu multiplier to compensate for the slower bus speed,

    It *IS* possible in BIOS to set the FSB to 166. But is it stable, that's
    what I'm wondering...

    >>I've got one XP Barton 2600+ 1.92G/333 MHz, if I buy another, should
    >>they work as MP's without modding?
    >
    > 1st hit on google.. ("Barton XP to Barton MP")
    > Modding the Barton XP to a Barton MP
    > http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=2&id=747&pg=

    *without* modding, I wrote...

    Currently running two XP1800's as MP's without modding. Without.

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:51:49 +0300, KL <nospam@koti.luukku.com> wrote:

    >It *IS* possible in BIOS to set the FSB to 166. But is it stable, that's
    >what I'm wondering...

    A lot of boards will let you raise the FSB past spec, but most will not
    run stable when pushed more then 10-20MHz, it basically comes down to
    what the chipset was made to do, looks like that board uses the AMD 760
    chipset which was designed to run at 200/266 only.

    >*without* modding, I wrote...
    >
    >Currently running two XP1800's as MP's without modding. Without.

    Sorry mis-read that.
    Ed

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:46:15 -0500, Ed <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >chipset which was designed to run at 200/266 only.

    100/133 MHz (200/266 DDR)

Asus CPUs Windows XP Motherboards