Blank CD not recognized

Luis

Now and then my system would not recognized that a blank
CD had been inserted into my CDROM preventing me from
burning. Just a couple of days ago it stop recognizing
blank CDs period. I am unable to burn anything. Any ideas?!

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

/Luis/ said:

> Now and then my system would not recognized that a blank
> CD had been inserted into my CDROM preventing me from
> burning. Just a couple of days ago it stop recognizing
> blank CDs period. I am unable to burn anything. Any ideas?!

Right-click on the drive letter in Windows Explorer and choose
PROPERTIES|RECORDING tab. Is recording enabled?

--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

Computers rarely stop working by themselves. Ask what changed in the last
few days. Added/Removed/Modified software/hardware?

I once "lost' the ability to see blank recordable CD media after installing
a virtual CD drive. I would have thought that the virtual CD reader would
be like a physical CD reader in that it could co-exist with my CD writing
software and hardware. I was wrong. The solution was to use the XP device
manager to "disable" the virtual CD drive, reboot, then I could write CDs.

If the above does not apply to your PC, think about un-installing, then
re-installing your CD writing software. And, be sure that you do not have
more than one CD writing software installed. They rarely work well
together.
"Luis" <luisandoval@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Now and then my system would not recognized that a blank
> CD had been inserted into my CDROM preventing me from
> burning. Just a couple of days ago it stop recognizing
> blank CDs period. I am unable to burn anything. Any ideas?!

I had the same problem and Dev's reply fixed it. I don't know how this
happened but recording was not enabled.

Thanks for the info.