Unable to format and use a partition.

Hello. I recently used the Disk Management utility and
made a new partition on an XP machine. I seem to not be
able to format it, for some reason. It is a Basic,
Primary partition, 3 GBs in size. I have tryed several
routes to format it. After getting to 100%, I get a hard
crash. Then, I get a message that my operating system
cannot be found. I reboot the system and it is okay until
I try to access that particular partition. All
indications are that it is a "RAW" partition. Does anyone
have any idea what is going on here? And, how I can solve
this? Thanks. J.P. :)
1 answer Last reply
More about unable format partition

    "James P." <JamiePPTL@AOL.com> wrote in message
    > Hello. I recently used the Disk Management utility and
    > made a new partition on an XP machine. I seem to not be
    > able to format it, for some reason. It is a Basic,
    > Primary partition, 3 GBs in size. I have tryed several
    > routes to format it. After getting to 100%, I get a hard
    > crash. Then, I get a message that my operating system
    > cannot be found. I reboot the system and it is okay until
    > I try to access that particular partition. All
    > indications are that it is a "RAW" partition. Does anyone
    > have any idea what is going on here? And, how I can solve
    > this? Thanks. J.P. :)

    As a first step I would download & run the disk
    diagnostic program that your hard disk manufacturer
    makes available on his home site.

Partition Format Windows XP