Unable to format and use a partition.

Hello. I recently used the Disk Management utility and
made a new partition on an XP machine. I seem to not be
able to format it, for some reason. It is a Basic,
Primary partition, 3 GBs in size. I have tryed several
routes to format it. After getting to 100%, I get a hard
crash. Then, I get a message that my operating system
cannot be found. I reboot the system and it is okay until
I try to access that particular partition. All
indications are that it is a "RAW" partition. Does anyone
have any idea what is going on here? And, how I can solve
this? Thanks. J.P. :)

"James P." <JamiePPTL@AOL.com> wrote in message
> Hello. I recently used the Disk Management utility and
> made a new partition on an XP machine. I seem to not be
> able to format it, for some reason. It is a Basic,
> Primary partition, 3 GBs in size. I have tryed several
> routes to format it. After getting to 100%, I get a hard
> crash. Then, I get a message that my operating system
> cannot be found. I reboot the system and it is okay until
> I try to access that particular partition. All
> indications are that it is a "RAW" partition. Does anyone
> have any idea what is going on here? And, how I can solve
> this? Thanks. J.P. :)

As a first step I would download & run the disk
diagnostic program that your hard disk manufacturer
makes available on his home site.