o'clocked XP3200+ and DDR400 memory

I am about to build a system from scratch, although I already have a couple
of components. I will be using an A7N8X-E m'board - one of the things I
already have.
To begin with, for reasons of economy, I will be using an XP2600+ CPU,
modestly overclocked. Eventually, when 64-bit chips rule the world and
32-bits are as cheap enough to be given away with breakfast cereals, I will
replace the CPU with an XP3200+, nominally on a 400 MHz FSB, but, again,
modestly overclocked.
So, what memory should I use? Obviously, DDR400 will be fine while I have
the 2600, even allowing for overclocking. Again, DDR400 will be fine for a
non-overclocked 3200. I expect that DDR400 will actually work on an
overclocked 3200, also. But, when I get to that stage, would faster memory
give any significant speed advantage. And, if so, would the extra cost of
buying it now be worth it in a year's time or whatever, when it comes into
its own.

TIA

Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <Bf3Oc.202$28.34@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, "Paul Carey"
<paulus_carey@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am about to build a system from scratch, although I already have a couple
> of components. I will be using an A7N8X-E m'board - one of the things I
> already have.
> To begin with, for reasons of economy, I will be using an XP2600+ CPU,
> modestly overclocked. Eventually, when 64-bit chips rule the world and
> 32-bits are as cheap enough to be given away with breakfast cereals, I will
> replace the CPU with an XP3200+, nominally on a 400 MHz FSB, but, again,
> modestly overclocked.
> So, what memory should I use? Obviously, DDR400 will be fine while I have
> the 2600, even allowing for overclocking. Again, DDR400 will be fine for a
> non-overclocked 3200. I expect that DDR400 will actually work on an
> overclocked 3200, also. But, when I get to that stage, would faster memory
> give any significant speed advantage. And, if so, would the extra cost of
> buying it now be worth it in a year's time or whatever, when it comes into
> its own.
>
> TIA
>
> Paul

I would say "none of the above". Why not find an Athlon XP-M now, which
has unlocked multiplier and reasonable overclocking capability, and
use that. Then, buy a memory that works with it. At the least you can
run it at 12x200, at a reasonable voltage.

http://cpudatabase.com/CPUdb (near bottom of AMD list 2500+ XP-M)

(The 2500+ is the most popular here. $88 USD. Note the number of
reviews posted with each model type. I'm not sure what the difference
is between 2400+ and 2500+, unless the posted data about the processor
is incorrect.)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&catalog=343&propertycodevalue=4181,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200&minprice=&maxprice=&mfrcode=1028&DEPA=0&InnerCata=343

(A 3200+ is 11x200 and an overclocked mobile should be able to beat it.)
http://www.qdi.nl/support/CPUQDISocketA.htm

In terms of memory performance and its effect on applications, this is
the most condensed results I know of. Pick entries in the table with
a constant processor core frequency, then compare memory entries with
the various timings. That should help you make up your mind, as to
whether it is worth buying CAS2, CAS2.5, or CAS3 memory.

http://www.systemcooling.com/images/reviews/Misc/Overclocking_Guide/matrix.jpg

For the future, S754 and S939 use unbuffered DDR memory. K8N-E is S754
and has a working AGP clock lock. I don't think Asus has a working
AGP clock lock yet on S939. The clock lock is needed for extreme overclock.

At some point AMD will switch to DDR2, not because they need it, but
to keep up with the marketing blitz from Intel. At that point, you'll
need new memory again :-(

HTH,
Paul

> [...]
> http://www.qdi.nl/support/CPUQDISocketA.htm
>
> In terms of memory performance and its effect on applications, this is
> the most condensed results I know of. Pick entries in the table with
> a constant processor core frequency, then compare memory entries with
> the various timings. That should help you make up your mind, as to
> whether it is worth buying CAS2, CAS2.5, or CAS3 memory.

http://www.systemcooling.com/images/reviews/Misc/Overclocking_Guide/matrix.jpg

> For the future, S754 and S939 use unbuffered DDR memory. K8N-E is S754
> and has a working AGP clock lock. I don't think Asus has a working
> AGP clock lock yet on S939. The clock lock is needed for extreme
overclock.

> At some point AMD will switch to DDR2, not because they need it, but
> to keep up with the marketing blitz from Intel. At that point, you'll

Ok, sounds like good advice. Now, in researching round what you said, I've
noticed the XP-M 2600+. It has just become available in the UK -- like
literally today.
I costs about 13% more than the XP-M 2500+, but still looks like a
reasonable price. What are your views on this chip?

Thanks

Paul C