44 (hex) type 44 Partition

May 31, 2004 6:37:59 AM

I used "Partition Magic 8.0" to read my HDD, it says
that it is a, 44 (hex) type 44 partition.

Does anyone know what this means?

I'm trying to recover files that were transfered to a
newly formatted drive. The drive doesn't show as a having
a "Valid" FAT32 partition.

Niether 98SE, nor XP-Pro can read these files, which
were previously on a FAT32 HDD.

More about : hex type partition

Anonymous
May 31, 2004 10:48:09 AM

I am not positive, but I suspect that this means that the master boot record
is corrupted.

You might be able to fix this under XP by using the FIXMBR command of the XP
recovery console. Here are some links thta explain how to use the recovery
console:

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy33.htm (near bottom)

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm

Another approach would be to get some file/partition recovery software and
see whether that can "see" files and/or partitions. This would confirm that
the data is really there, but that the boot record is bad.

"Rick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I used "Partition Magic 8.0" to read my HDD, it says
> that it is a, 44 (hex) type 44 partition.
>
> Does anyone know what this means?
>
> I'm trying to recover files that were transfered to a
> newly formatted drive. The drive doesn't show as a having
> a "Valid" FAT32 partition.
>
> Niether 98SE, nor XP-Pro can read these files, which
> were previously on a FAT32 HDD.
May 31, 2004 3:49:18 PM

For partition identifiers, look here:
http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partition_types-1...

"Rick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I used "Partition Magic 8.0" to read my HDD, it says
> that it is a, 44 (hex) type 44 partition.
>
> Does anyone know what this means?
>
> I'm trying to recover files that were transfered to a
> newly formatted drive. The drive doesn't show as a having
> a "Valid" FAT32 partition.
>
> Niether 98SE, nor XP-Pro can read these files, which
> were previously on a FAT32 HDD.

Related resources
May 31, 2004 3:49:19 PM

Finally! Now that makes sense...The drive in question
was set up as a data storage location on a raid board,
with "GO-Back" installed on the "system" drive.
I will attempt to access the drive by installing "Go-
Back" on the "new" system drive.

Thank you, this is the most progress in a month...

1.html

>"Rick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> I used "Partition Magic 8.0" to read my HDD, it says
>> that it is a, 44 (hex) type 44 partition.
>>
>> Does anyone know what this means?
>>
>> I'm trying to recover files that were transfered to
>> newly formatted drive. The drive doesn't show as a
having
>> a "Valid" FAT32 partition.
>>
>> Niether 98SE, nor XP-Pro can read these files, which
>> were previously on a FAT32 HDD.
>>

>.

June 1, 2004 6:10:26 AM

Just to let you know, the partition is a "Go-Back"
partition, I re-installed the "Go-Back" program and found
the files to be intact.
I'm still working on a few corrupt or "unsigned
drivers" issues but life is good, I'm a patient man
(sometimes) and I feel confident that the problems can be
resolved. I'm looking for signed drivers for I/O MAGIC'S
Typhoon Theatre sound card...

Rick

!