Do I use RAM FSB 333 or 400?

Hi all,

Motherboard A7N8X-E Deluxe, RAM PC3200, CPU Athlon 2600+ FSB 333

My question is should I leave the RAM running at the FSB 333 or set it 400?
I was under the impression the FSB had to be the same for CPU and RAM, but
the BIOS lets you run the RAM at the 400 rate. Would this make the PC run
faster or less stable?

Cheers

On Nforce 2 boards the system runs better if the fsb and memory run in
sync. so i would run i at 333mhz.

cheers

paul

me!! <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:<rh3jg0lemuhrb1d1vv3tfrge6anef5juor@4ax.com>...
> On Nforce 2 boards the system runs better if the fsb and memory run in
> sync. so i would run i at 333mhz.
>
> cheers
>
> paul

If you wanna overclock, then run it all at 400 FSB. You CPU will
benefit from that overclock and you pc3200 is rated to be able to do
FSB 400.

cheers

axexango

Quietman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Motherboard A7N8X-E Deluxe, RAM PC3200, CPU Athlon 2600+ FSB 333
>
> My question is should I leave the RAM running at the FSB 333 or set it
> 400? I was under the impression the FSB had to be the same for CPU and
> RAM, but the BIOS lets you run the RAM at the 400 rate. Would this make
> the PC run faster or less stable?

You seem to misunderstand the architecture of your computer (either that or
the terminology).

The FSB connects the Northbridge to the CPU. The Northbridge contains the
memory controller and is connected to the RAM via the RAM bus. You can run
the FSB and RAM at different frequencies.

With that out of the way, on the nForce with dual channel, there's no point
in running ram 1 notch above the FSB speed. Run them at the same speed. If
you're not using Dual Channel, you may see some benfit, running the RAM
faster than FSB, but only under certain conditions, and this configuration
has been known to cause instabilty.

Recommend that you run RAM and FSB in synch.

Ben

"Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Quietman wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Motherboard A7N8X-E Deluxe, RAM PC3200, CPU Athlon 2600+ FSB 333
>>
>> My question is should I leave the RAM running at the FSB 333 or set it
>> 400? I was under the impression the FSB had to be the same for CPU and
>> RAM, but the BIOS lets you run the RAM at the 400 rate. Would this make
>> the PC run faster or less stable?
>

> You seem to misunderstand the architecture of your computer (either that
> or
> the terminology).
>
> The FSB connects the Northbridge to the CPU. The Northbridge contains the
> memory controller and is connected to the RAM via the RAM bus. You can
> run
> the FSB and RAM at different frequencies.
>
> With that out of the way, on the nForce with dual channel, there's no
> point
> in running ram 1 notch above the FSB speed. Run them at the same speed.
> If
> you're not using Dual Channel, you may see some benfit, running the RAM
> faster than FSB, but only under certain conditions, and this configuration
> has been known to cause instabilty.
>
> Recommend that you run RAM and FSB in synch.
>
> Ben

Yep, you are right Ben, I have the terminology muddled up, hehe. I do have
dual channel mode in use so I will stay with using the FSB and RAM frequency
at 166mhz. Thanks

Is it possible to run both at 200mhz, overclocking the CPU? Feel very
reluctant to try that. Presumably the CPU will generate more heat?

Quietman wrote:
> Yep, you are right Ben, I have the terminology muddled up, hehe. I do have
> dual channel mode in use so I will stay with using the FSB and RAM
> frequency at 166mhz. Thanks
>
> Is it possible to run both at 200mhz, overclocking the CPU? Feel very
> reluctant to try that. Presumably the CPU will generate more heat?

Upping the frequency a bit won't make that much difference to the heat
production, but you may not be able to get to 200MHz without additional
voltage, and that will make hease rise quite quickly.

You could alwasys try 175, 180, 185MHz etc.

Ben